ANNOUNCEMENT: check your swing arm drain! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Exclamation check your swing arm drain!

well its that time again (or was a few weeks ago and i forgot to type this up) to pull the bike out of storage(if you dont ride year round) and go thru and check everything and make sure to adjust anything that needs it,

so sylvester being the ONLY bike of the 5 i havent rode sense the move it was time to take care of him,

tire: bit low on air so topped them off,
brakes: brake fluids all good, pads still look good, disks look fine,
lights: all work and are bright,
nuts and bolts: all look good and nothing is finger loose.
coolant: is topped off
oil: looks good

chain: a bit loose...... ok no biggy, busted out the stand and tools, put the bike on the rear stand, and loosened the axle, go to back the adjuster and no go, its seized
so i grab some pb blaster and wd40 and torch and hammer.
went to blast some in the swing arm drain hole to coat the back side of the bolt and the hole is clogged......again...(i cleaned it out and made it a bit bigger last year) so i start stabbing at it with a pic till i can get the wd40 straw up in it and blasted about half a can up into it and poked at it as it drained out and when it was done i had about 5-6'' round X 1.5-2''tall pile of dirt/sand O.o...
then blasted some pb blaster in it and put a box wrench on the bolt heated up the swing arm around it and..........
still no go.. didnt even budge....F#@K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so not wanting to end up like andy (ya i remember your video) with a snapped bolt so i guess it was time to take sylvesters rear tire(tyre) off...
so i get a short bungee , take the rear caliper off and bungee it off to the side, pull the chain, the axle out (yay not a spot of rust) set the tire aside, get a deep 12mm socket and get ready for...
#1) a bit of work then some joy, or
#2) some work a big let down, lots of stress,anger,then sadness, then a LOT more work, then joy...what will it be?

so i started off my tapping the head of the bolt for a min or two and then heated the swing arm again pb blasted and tried the socket wrench, smacking the back of the wrench with the hammer as i turned it and.... IT BUDGED!!! not much bit a tinny bit, so i blasted more pb in it and turned it the other way.. got a bit more out of it...
so that went on for maybe 10-20 min of turning it back and forth, heating the swing arm, pb blasting it and hammering it(lightly) i finally got it fully out with out snapping!!!!!!(yay for #1)
went to clean up the threads so i pull out my box of tap and dies and F#@K!! again...... i only have SAE taps and dies and only metric taps (box of dies is MAI) o.O WTF!?!?! then i think about it as im taking a wire wheel to the bolt to clean it up really well and remember i let tim(un-reliable ex-co-worker) borrow my tap and dies last (years ago) v.v so im guessing i never got them back, so i guess its on my list of need to get tools .....
so got the bolt all like new shinny. then go to grab some anti seize and it empty...(WTF i only used it like twice) and i notice the corner of the tube is chewed thru....some stupid rat at my old place ate my anti seize......(first for me) so i go to the bathroom to get some milk of magnesia(works as a good steel to aluminum anti seize FYI) and all out...DAMN!
so i coat it with drum brake grease and coat the nut hole in it and put the bolt back in, like butter now...
coat the axle and bearings in grease and put everything back together tighten the chain back into speck and buttoned everything back up and got ready to go for a ride and its hailing and starting to get dark
so i pushed sylvester back into his spot, put my tools away and went back into the house to ride another day....
(well ok i really just pulled the yammi put and went and played in the mud a bit then went back in the house)
and damn my one tracked mind i forgot to record any of it or take pics sorry for those of you that care...

so long story short make sure to check your swing arm drain hole (kick stand side , right near the spool mount) time to time to prevent the chain tensioner bolt from rusting... and anti seize is not only a good thing to add, it also might attract rats......
id hate to think what would have happen if i hadnt taken care of this now and had been on the side of the road trying to adjust the chain.....

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode