Brit confused about ethanol in fuel..... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By dddd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Brit confused about ethanol in fuel.....

Hi all, I was in Walmart buying a tyre repair kit and came across a shelf full of additives that were for petrol that has ethanol in it... I have googled it but I am unsure if this is something I need to be aware of with my 650 LT?

Should I use an additive in the fuel? Never heard of it in the UK.

Regards

John

ps I shall be leaving the bike in storage for extended periods when I return to the uk if that has any relevance?

Last edited by farmerboy; 03-06-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Storing Longer Than 3 weeks

recommend adding fuel stabilizer to a full tank of fuel, should be run in for about 5 miles to get it into the injectors. Most like Stabil or Sea Foam , good for about 1 year.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-07-2017 at 07:40 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:49 PM

Ethanol in gasoline quickly leads to phase separation and water absorption from moisture in the air. It causes corrosion and turns to white crap if left in tank for more than a couple weeks. It also stinks of rotten corn dogs when it burns.

UK already has about 5% ethanol in most of their petrol... The situation varies depending which state you're in.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Classic Car Owners Given Reprieve From Ethanol Increases At Pumps | CCFS UK

Ethanol And Other Additives In Fuel - General Trials Talk - Trials Central

Last edited by invader; 03-06-2017 at 09:53 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Thanks guys, I shall invest in some sea foam...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Ethanol in gasoline quickly leads to phase separation and water absorption from moisture in the air. It causes corrosion and turns to white crap if left in tank for more than a couple weeks. It also stinks of rotten corn dogs when it burns.

UK already has about 5% ethanol in most of their petrol... The situation varies depending which state you're in.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Classic Car Owners Given Reprieve From Ethanol Increases At Pumps | CCFS UK

Ethanol And Other Additives In Fuel - General Trials Talk - Trials Central
Never had any symptom or problem with e10 gas when visiting US.
But in fall I rarely visit US, and most gas here is without ethanol, but I always use stabil for the winterization anyway. So you don't need to put stabil all the time, just when you won't burn that gas soon.
Smiley likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
just put a full tank of E-free fuel in befor storing it and fill it as full as you can then add a shotglass full of seafoam. also plug it into a battery tender, then when you come back next year all you have to do is change the oil, check your tires and ride

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Most of the horror stories about ethanol in gasoline are pretty much just stories. E-10 is the max I would use (not E-15 + as ethanol tends to deteriorate some rubber/plastics).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:33 PM

With regard to storage for an extended period; does anybody worry about the tires sitting on one spot, especially on concrete. I always heard you should at least put your tires up on a piece of wood for extended storage.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:15 PM

::::
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
Unfortunately I have first hand experience with this.

Several years ago I bought a 7 year old Honda ST1300 with just 7500 miles on it. When I asked about the low mileage, the owner told me the previous owner had let it sit up for a "while". I test rode it and all was OK so I figured no harm had been done by it sitting unused. Even on the 600 mile ride home and the subsequent 2 or 3 weeks it ran like a champ.

After about 3 weeks from puchase, it started acting like the fuel pump was going bad (started missing badly on acceleration). The ST1300 has an upper and lower tank with the lower tank containing the fuel pump. When I opened up the lower tank, here is what I found. A classic case of Ethanol phase separation, verified by someone I know who is a mechanic. He told me it was rare to get a rusted tank in his shop until Ethanol began appearing in gas. After that, he said he saw several per week, with more showing up after things sat up all winter:

Here is a diagram showing the phase separation process (discussion of the process HERE ):

It was not an easy fix. Even with doing it myself, it cost about $750 for parts (new tank, fuel pump & associated bits). It was a long job because the lower tank removal was pretty involved and tedious:

Since going through this, I always leave the bike parked with an absolutely full tank to prevent moisture laden air from coming in contact with the gasoline surface. If it's going to be parked for any length of time I'll put in STABIL and start the bike up every few weeks to remove any water that has settled to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump pickup is.

This is very hard to find in areas in and anywhere near metropolitan areas due to environmental regulation.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
With regard to storage for an extended period; does anybody worry about the tires sitting on one spot, especially on concrete. I always heard you should at least put your tires up on a piece of wood for extended storage.
That's where front & rear stands come in for me
The bike takes up less space parked vertical as well

Last edited by BLACK DOG; 03-07-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added point
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
I store my Vs on BOTH a front and a rear stand so my tires are OFF the hot floor.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode