chain broke, bad things happened - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

3Likes
  • 1 Post By invader
  • 2 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

chain broke, bad things happened

on the way back from death valley last sept, just outside ely, nev., my chain broke and jammed in the front sprocket. i was just leaving a rest area and was only in 2nd gear. a very bad noise came from the engine and i coasted to a stop. the motor was still running, i apparently was now in neutral. i turned off the engine and then tried to shift it into neutral to get the green light to come on. i can only shift it up or down 1 click, and both positions are neutral but the neutral light won't come on and nothing happens when i hit the starter button. to make a long story short, there is a funky moto shop(it's also a car dealership)in ely, but the wait could be long and the motel was $60 a night. there is no bus service, no car rental, no passenger air service. there is a truck rental place and they just happened to have a van that the v would just fit in. several hundred dollars and 800 miles later i unloaded it into my garage in sandpoint and left for mexico. now i"m back and want to get it fixed. does anybody have an idea of what i"m looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 AM

Was there a pool of oil under the bike? If not you may be lucky and you were going slow, the chain is just jammed up front under the cover. If you're not lucky, case damage can result $$$. Do a search in the forum to find some examples of this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 AM

Picture

Yea, a Picture could do wonders for this..

As was Mentioned could be Mild to Wild..
Mild side would be new chain, possibly front sprocket
Wild Side would be Chain, both Sprockets and Case Damage

If you have oil seeping out, thats a bad sign, no oil.. Thats more promising..Unless you ran it out of oil prior, then that again is a bad sign..L

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Possible Crankshaft

Several possibilities, one could be the counter-shaft got damaged, broken teeth of the primary gear, broken crankshaft. As to trying to start or get into neutral, pulling the clutch in with the kickstand up should allow starting, however I wouldn't do that. There are some really good photos in the How To forum on counter-shaft replacement.Expect to find some major damage, you don't go from 2000 RPM to a dead stop without something breaking/ bending, possible crankshaft being twisted also. You need to decide, do you want to attempt to fix it through guidance from this forum or take it to a shop.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your thoughts so far. there was just a very small amount of oil lost. good point, onewizard. the powder is waist deep at schweitzer right now so i can't stop skiing until it rains next week. then i will attempt to put a picture up here for the 1st time and ask your opinion again.i cant get at the trailer right now to take it anywhere, the snow is 2 ft deep.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:16 PM

What can you tell us about your chain which failed? Which chain was it, and how many miles was on it, etc?
silviefox likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What can you tell us about your chain which failed? Which chain was it, and how many miles was on it, etc?
Holy ****...with all the chain slap I'm having, is it alright to do a 150 mile trip to the dealership to get the chain changed? I'll lube the hell out of the chain before I leave, and ofcourse, take the course very easy. Any other do's and don'ts?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure it doesn't break

Quote:
Originally Posted by red liner View Post
Holy ****...with all the chain slap I'm having, is it alright to do a 150 mile trip to the dealership to get the chain changed? I'll lube the hell out of the chain before I leave, and ofcourse, take the course very easy. Any other do's and don'ts?
Personally, a chain breaker, chain riveter, zip cutter, first things I got , well the riveter was purchased 9 years ago, everything else 45 years ago. I have a new chain in the garage, lost my rivet for the new chain as the rivet is a option instead of the quick link. With next day delivery on many things, amazon etc. I would spend the money you are going to pay the dealer and do it your self. Lots of You Tube videos on riveting, type of tool etc., my riveter is also a chain breaker, I think I paid $60 for it.
invader and twowheels like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Personally, a chain breaker, chain riveter, zip cutter, first things I got , well the riveter was purchased 9 years ago, everything else 45 years ago. I have a new chain in the garage, lost my rivet for the new chain as the rivet is a option instead of the quick link. With next day delivery on many things, amazon etc. I would spend the money you are going to pay the dealer and do it your self. Lots of You Tube videos on riveting, type of tool etc., my riveter is also a chain breaker, I think I paid $60 for it.
I agree. Putting a new chain on my V was one of the easiest things I've done. It took a while (didn't want to mess things up), but it is a straightforward job. Bought this kit for the tools: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...-Riveting-Tool

'09 Versys
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
thanks for your thoughts so far. there was just a very small amount of oil lost. good point, onewizard. the powder is waist deep at schweitzer right now so i can't stop skiing until it rains next week. then i will attempt to put a picture up here for the 1st time and ask your opinion again.i cant get at the trailer right now to take it anywhere, the snow is 2 ft deep.
There were pics on one of the threads showing how BADLY you can damage the engine when you have a chain break, and have it 'pile-up' around the countershaft sprocket, breaking the engine cases.

Sorry I can't direct you to it.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

the chain and sprockets had 17000 miles on them when i left on this trip. i had changed out the oem chain and sprockets at 25000 miles and they weren't in bad shape. i replaced them then with top of the line aftermarket chain and sprockets recommended by many members here, but i don't remember the brand. my mistake was not carefully inspecting them before i left because the last set looked pretty good at 25000 miles and these only had 17000 miles on them. i won't do that again.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 05:43 PM

Garage
I learned the hard way, and very quickly, to always change the sprockets with the chain, and always use good quality parts.
When my original chain wore out, i picked up an "average" oring chain and put it on, hoping to get a few more miles out of the sprockets before spending more money on a quality set.

I lost that chain at 80 mph on a busy interstate.
Took out the chain guard part of my hugger, left a couple scratches as it went through the counter sprocket area, and slapped the bottom of the undertail a bit as it "left". Dodged a few bullets on that one! Could have destroyed the case getting caught up in the counter sprocket, damage that would have been too many $$$ to think about... or could have locked the rear tire up and caused a sudden stop. I am sure the tractor trailer behind me would have been very amused by that... or just dimly aware of the bump as I went under.

Immediately ordered new chain and sprockets! (and a few lottery tickets!)
Never go cheap on the bike again.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode