pre 2010 Versys Chain/Sprocket? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

pre 2010 Versys Chain/Sprocket?

I am due for a chain/sprocket replacement and I ordered this:
JT Sprockets JTSK2006 with 520X1R Chain

Now I've realized it says it only fits 2010-12 Versys - is it true?
What's the difference?
Why's it so tricky to find a set?

Also, any idea if this comes with a rivet link? I don't see it pictured or in description, but wouldn't it be weird if it didn't?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM

It should include a rivet master link. It also fits 2007-2009 Versys 650. It's just not a high quality set. You could still get an OEM damped front sprocket with all the money you saved... You can always get a good chain next time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

I was trying to think what could be different, glad to hear that's likely the case.

I seem to go through chains quickly anyhow - but yeah, better chain next time.

Might need to wait on the better sprocket too, as I've got a trip on Friday and need to get it all worked out in time.

I can't seem to find the oem sprocket (those documents are always like mazes... which system is it a part of? *sigh*), but I guess the dampening extends life/improves feel?

In any event, this will also be my first sprocket change.

I've found a few video's and walk through, but have a question or two as well:

One walk through said grease the axle - this stuff?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Oh weird... somehow my message edit got clipped.

Last edited by supaiku; 02-27-2017 at 09:06 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 PM

Yes that is excellent grease. Waterproof Grease - Maxima Racing Oils

The rubber damped sprocket is still solid steel, but covered on both sides with a rubber 'puck' on which the chain sits as it rolls around. It quieter and operates more smoothly than an undamped countershaft sprocket.

Kawasaki part # 13144-0576 2009 Kawasaki VERSYS (KLE650A9F) Transmission | Part Shark
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks invader
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaiku View Post
...Now I've realized it says it only fits 2010-12 Versys - is it true?
What's the difference?
Why's it so tricky to find a set?...
In my experience ('08, '09 and '15 V650s) they're identical, and ALL the countershaft sprockets I've installed are 'bare', not rubber-damped, and for ME that's not been a problem.

Quote:
...Also, any idea if this comes with a rivet link? I don't see it pictured or in description, but wouldn't it be weird if it didn't?...
The chain I installed on my '08 a couple of years back ONLY came w/ a NON-rivet master-link, so I installed it, using my chain tool to 'compress' the side-link to the same width as the other (solid) links in the chain. Then I 'slid' the retainer piece on, and GENTLY expanded (peened) the ends of the two pins w/ my chain tool to ensure it stayed 'retained'.

I always "paint" a link to give me a start/finish point when I'm lubing the chain, or measuring 'slack'.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

It came with both a rivet and a non-rivet master link.

I just installed the rivet master link and it seems on one of the two pins I over-comressed, causing a crack.
Unfortunately the extra link I bought on amazon is for X1R chain not and X1R^2 chain.

Do ya'll think it's better to keep the cracked rivet link, remove it and switch to the non-rivet link?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I just installed the rivet master link and it seems on one of the two pins I over-comressed, causing a crack.
Do ya'll think it's better to keep the cracked rivet link, remove it and switch to the non-rivet link?
IF it is REALLY cracked, I would remove it and put either another rivet link, or use the non-rivet link the way I did mine.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode