First mod to the new bike: lowering. Requesting input from the experts. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cali Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Felton, CA
Posts: 16
First mod to the new bike: lowering. Requesting input from the experts.

Hey all, new guy here. Iíve been using this forum as a resource tool the last couple weeks, so thanks are in order for all the answers Iíve gotten from you all already. So, thanks! Great group here.

Loving my new Versys LT!




Iím a Harley guy (fairly active member over in the Harley forum - username: Boblo Escobar - long story) so this is all new to me but Iím loving it already. My first real ride was through a friggin torrential downpour, up and over CA Hwy 17, which is a notoriously crazy road in normal weather, let alone in all this crazy flooding weíve had here in the Bay Area lately. Anyway, the bike handled it like a champ - didnít hesitate for a second, despite the fact that I was basically riding up a creek.

Then yesterday my wife got on it and was whipping around the church parking lot in no time. Now sheís as smitten as I am.




Look forward to participating here, but am mostly here to learn from you all.

Cheers,

Bob
Metalmad likes this.

Last edited by Cali Bob; 02-20-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Tidying up links and adding photos now that I am able
Cali Bob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 2,660
Welcome From Canada

to the forum, yes, I am on my second one, had a 07 then February 2016 bought the 2015, presently doing a ton of wiring, Innovv K1 camers, led strip white running and led strip yellow signal , both on the barkbusters, white will toggle with yellow when signaling , should be obvious when I am being approached from the front. FYI the farkles never end, and wait till it is broke in and you get into the twisties, my advice is to tell your wife**** well your going to need to be real ingenious, cause I can't think of anything to tell her that will dissuade her from riding it , then your going to be looking for it more than riding it!!
onewizard is offline  
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft.Worth,TX. Norwalk CA
Posts: 13,490
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is online now  
 
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Member
 
chrisfla1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Silver Springs, FL
Posts: 110
Congratulations! What a beautiful bike, and what beautiful scenery! I too have ridden Harleys for awhile, but the Versys -- bought as my "little" bike just to run around on -- has become my primary bike since I laid down the Harley. With the surgery I had done on my left arm, it looks like I may never be able to pull a Harley clutch again, but I rode my Versys 100 miles today! Just trying to ride a little more every day, and I'm just happy to be alive and riding again. Welcome to the forum!
aboyandhisversys likes this.
chrisfla1 is offline  
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Member
 
bigaussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 806
Garage


Your wife looks a natural on the V (other than the logo on her jacket).

Don't be surprised if you have to buy her one too.

I know a couple in Comox, BC who have his and hers.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.


"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigaussie is offline  
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cali Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Felton, CA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
Congratulations! What a beautiful bike, and what beautiful scenery! I too have ridden Harleys for awhile, but the Versys -- bought as my "little" bike just to run around on -- has become my primary bike since I laid down the Harley. With the surgery I had done on my left arm, it looks like I may never be able to pull a Harley clutch again, but I rode my Versys 100 miles today! Just trying to ride a little more every day, and I'm just happy to be alive and riding again. Welcome to the forum!
That's awesome - glad you're still able to ride! And yeah, the more I ride this thing the more I get it. Still love my Road King (and have a 5,000 mile trip coming up this summer on it), but man this Versys is FUN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post


Your wife looks a natural on the V (other than the logo on her jacket).

Don't be surprised if you have to buy her one too.

I know a couple in Comox, BC who have his and hers.
The thought has already crossed my mind... 😁 We're already tentatively planning a 2-3 week Glacier > Banff > BC trip (starting and ending here in CA) for summer 2018; we'll see if by then we're both wanting something like this or if I still want to do it on my Harley with her on the Versys.
Cali Bob is offline  
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Terrace, B.C.
Posts: 71
Garage
Welcome to the board! The Versys and Harley must complement each other nicely.
zzzoren is offline  
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cali Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Felton, CA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzoren View Post
Welcome to the board! The Versys and Harley must complement each other nicely.
They really do! No need to pick a favorite because they're so different from each other.
Cali Bob is offline  
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cali Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Felton, CA
Posts: 16
First mod to the new bike: lowering. Requesting input from the experts.

I was going to reply to a recent thread on lowering but I don't have enough posts to do so (I'd link to said thread but I'm not allowed to do that either), thus the new thread.

So the wife is loving the new Versys and it's got her all excited to ride again. This is huge for us, because it's been a couple years off of two wheels for her. After a fantastic day on an 850 lb 2015 Road Glide Special rental that she was handling like a champ, at the very end of the day after pulling into our crazy steep driveway that ends in an abrupt 90-degree turn, she dropped it and incurred a couple thousand bucks in damages (the dealership didn't offer insurance, believe it or not, so it was all on us). It freaked her out to the point of walking away from riding completely. Until now.

Like I said, she LOVES the Versys. But it's a tad too tall for her to feel totally confident on it while not moving, and especially when backing up. Hell, I'm 5'11" and it's a little precarious for me when backing up when the ground is slick. So question is, is the MotoWerk lowering kit the best option? And this will also mean adjusting the front shocks and shortening the kickstand. Anything else that needs consideration? Any other thoughts on lowering?

Thanks in advance!
Cali Bob is offline  
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 28
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bob View Post
my wife got on it and was whipping around the church parking lot in no time
Wait....how tall is your wife? I'm 5'9" with my hair just right (what's left of it) and I definitely had to make some adjustments to the seat height when I bought my '09 in 2010 (former bike was a CBR600F2). Didn't bother her any?

Anyway - welcome and hope you enjoy that bike. ANOTHER CRUISER TO VERSYS CONVERSION - AMEN!
cbrf2_rider is offline  
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 145
To answer your question, the answer is yes, yes, and yes. I just did the lowering front and rear using the kit. Not hard but I actually made a few minor changes to the directions and personally think it is better. Let me know if you get the kit and I can give you the details. BTW, I also bought a low seat from Kawasaki from a member here and it is real nice also. I am 5'9 and can almost flat foot now. Yeh!
Cali Bob likes this.
captpfd is offline  
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Member
 
bigaussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 806
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bob View Post
So question is, is the MotoWerk lowering kit the best option?
I can't talk from experience, but from the rest of the reviews it sounds the best solution.

I am 5'11" / 32" inseam and have the Kawasaki Gel seat that gives me about 1" lowering, so I can now easily flat foot it - I can touch my heals to the ground.

There is a lowered seat for sale on this forum Versys low seat. I don't know if it is the same one.

Anything from Motowerk (also called Speedy as that is his handle on this forum) is first class.

I have his mirror extenders, footpeg lowering kit (great for the knees) & footpeg base. I have just ordered his handlebar risers.

I have never heard anybody unhappy with any of his gear.

There is a non-abs kit for sale here Moto Werk Lowering Kit, non-ABS or here Motowerk Lowering Kit for sale


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bob View Post
And this will also mean adjusting the front shocks and shortening the kickstand.
He has the kickstand shortener with a nice large foot.

I believe the instruction tell you how to lower the front end, and that isn't difficult.
Cali Bob likes this.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.


"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigaussie is offline  
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cali Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Felton, CA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
To answer your question, the answer is yes, yes, and yes. I just did the lowering front and rear using the kit. Not hard but I actually made a few minor changes to the directions and personally think it is better. Let me know if you get the kit and I can give you the details. BTW, I also bought a low seat from Kawasaki from a member here and it is real nice also. I am 5'9 and can almost flat foot now. Yeh!
Ok cool - I'll look into the seat if she's still feeling like it's too tall after we lower it. Is it as or more comfy than the stock seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
I can't talk from experience, but from the rest of the reviews it sounds the best solution.

I am 5'11" / 32" inseam and have the Kawasaki Gel seat that gives me about 1" lowering, so I can now easily flat foot it - I can touch my heals to the ground.

There is a lowered seat for sale on this forum. I don't know if it is the same one.

Anything from Motowerk (also called Speedy as that is his handle on this forum) is first class.

I have his mirror extenders, footpeg lowering kit (great for the knees) & footpeg base. I have just ordered his handlebar risers.

I have never heard anybody unhappy with any of his gear.

There is a non-abs kit for sale here or here

He has the kickstand shortener with a nice large foot.

I believe the instruction tell you how to lower the front end, and that isn't difficult.
Thanks for the info - much appreciated. Really good to know about Speedy being a member of the forum and his stuff being so well-rated. I have ABS and my bike is a 2016 so those lowering kits won't work, but thanks for the links!
Cali Bob is offline  
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cali Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Felton, CA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf2_rider View Post
Wait....how tall is your wife? I'm 5'9" with my hair just right (what's left of it) and I definitely had to make some adjustments to the seat height when I bought my '09 in 2010 (former bike was a CBR600F2). Didn't bother her any?
Haha - see my other thread where I'm asking about lowering kits. 😁
Cali Bob is offline  
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 145
Don't panic they do have the kit for ABS as mine is a 15. Kit fits 15 and 16 year models. Top-quality stuff. The low seat does a great job but you do sacrifice a little cush on the tush. Unless you are going very long distances it shouldn't be a big deal for her.
captpfd is offline  
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cali Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Felton, CA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Don't panic they do have the kit for ABS as mine is a 15. Kit fits 15 and 16 year models. Top-quality stuff. The low seat does a great job but you do sacrifice a little cush on the tush.
Yeah saw that earlier - it's this kit I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Unless you are going very long distances it shouldn't be a big deal for her.
We've got a 3,000+ mile trip we're planning for 2018 but we have time to figure that out. 😁

Cali Bob is offline  
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 2,660
2015 ABS Lowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Don't panic they do have the kit for ABS as mine is a 15. Kit fits 15 and 16 year models. Top-quality stuff. The low seat does a great job but you do sacrifice a little cush on the tush. Unless you are going very long distances it shouldn't be a big deal for her.
I am a 30" in seam, I just modified my seat and posted in how to, I lowered my bike using Speedy kit, new instructions much easier. With a 30 inch inseam I can flat foot, one thing that many forget to do is set the sag and rebound, both front and rear, that alone will make a big difference, if you are ordering, my recommendation is get the lowering pegs and highway mounts, plus mirror extenders, the foot brake extender, the flatfoot ( there are cheaper flatfoot parts out there, however his pivots about 15' for uneven surfaces), the splicing piece for the side stand and save on shipping. All shipping includes tracking and delivery notice to circumvent fraud, so it is a bit more money. There are several threads in How To C/W photos.And MotoWerks products are first class including shipping. I have made many purchases from him.
onewizard is offline  
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Member
 
chrisfla1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Silver Springs, FL
Posts: 110
I don't know if this will help your wife, but I'm female, 5'6", and very long-legged (32" inseam in men's jeans). I lowered the shock down with the knob adjustment as far as it would go and then I bought some really thick-soled boots. I can pretty much get most of the balls of my feet on the ground when I'm as low as I can get in the seat. I'm probably still going to lower it, but lowering this thing is such a PITA compared to the V-Strom I had back in the day! I figure I'll change one variable at a time and see how each affects the ride before I'll take the big step of lowering it. The first real change I'm making is adding a 1 1/2 inch handlebar riser I just ordered from "Speedy." After I see how that changes my riding position, I'll have to see if I want to get a chunk of foam cut out of the seat (possibly requiring lowering the footpegs as well, also a PITA) OR get the lowering done with the kit. Decisions, decisions! Would that I had unlimited fundage! Good luck to you and your wife, and I'm glad to hear she's riding again. Once you get the V outfitted so it fits her, I'm gonna guess that you'll never ride it again! :-)

Last edited by chrisfla1; 02-20-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: forgot a word
chrisfla1 is offline  
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cali Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Felton, CA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I am a 30" in seam, I just modified my seat and posted in how to, I lowered my bike using Speedy kit, new instructions much easier. With a 30 inch inseam I can flat foot, one thing that many forget to do is set the sag and rebound, both front and rear, that alone will make a big difference, if you are ordering, my recommendation is get the lowering pegs and highway mounts, plus mirror extenders, the foot brake extender, the flatfoot ( there are cheaper flatfoot parts out there, however his pivots about 15' for uneven surfaces), the splicing piece for the side stand and save on shipping. All shipping includes tracking and delivery notice to circumvent fraud, so it is a bit more money. There are several threads in How To C/W photos.And MotoWerks products are first class including shipping. I have made many purchases from him.
The shopping list is growing... 😄 Thank you sir - appreciate the advice.
Cali Bob is offline  
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cali Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Felton, CA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I don't know if this will help your wife, but I'm female, 5'6", and very long-legged (32" inseam in men's jeans). I lowered the shock down with the knob adjustment as far as it would go and then I bought some really thick-soled boots. I can pretty much get most of the balls of my feet on the ground when I'm as low as I can get in the seat. I'm probably still going to lower it, but lowering this thing is such a PITA compared to the V-Strom I had back in the day! I figure I'll change one variable at a time and see how each affects the ride before I'll take the big step of lowering it. The first real change I'm making is adding a 1 1/2 inch handlebar riser I just ordered from "Speedy." After I see how that changes my riding position, I'll have to see if I want to get a chunk of foam cut out of the seat (possibly requiring lowering the footpegs as well, also a PITA) OR get the lowering done with the kit. Decisions, decisions! Would that I had unlimited fundage! Good luck to you and your wife, and I'm glad to hear she's riding again. Once you get the V outfitted so it fits her, I'm gonna guess that you'll never ride it again! :-)
Ah - good call on the rear shock. Haven't played with that at all. She's a 28" inseam so not sure that would completely do the trick. I'm thinking we'll do the lowering kit for sure and if she still needs it lower we'll look into a different seat. Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
Once you get the V outfitted so it fits her, I'm gonna guess that you'll never ride it again! :-)
I'm thinking you're probably right!
Cali Bob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome