First mod to the new bike: lowering. Requesting input from the experts. - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to SmoothRoad Send a message via MSN to SmoothRoad
Before you modify...

Good to know about this issue. Assuming I would have to lower (29 in inseem), I had ordered Speedy's lowering kit about one day after I took delivery of my 2016 V650LT. But after riding a few hundred miles, I decided I didn't need it and sent it back. Fortunately, I never installed the parts. [Sidebar: If you return any item to Motowerks, be ready for some hoops. They require photos to verify the condition of the parts before they will issue a return number. And there's a 21 day limit, not a month as with some places.] The bigger point here is to be aware of potential issues when installing aftermarket parts. There's always something.

Doug in San Antonio, Tx
In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men (John 1:4 NASB)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:09 PM

I would disagree about the point you need to shorten the kickstand with a lowering kit. Previous owner had lowered my bike and I rode it lowered for a year, it was fine with standard side stand and very stable and secure on it. I've since raised mine back up to normal height. Glad they did not mess up side stand.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by twowheels; 03-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
get a lowering kit and get some good crash bars. You'll thank me later.

Lowering kit went on last week. Love it. Crash bars are on the list.
chrisfla1 and red liner like this.

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davpag1 View Post
Two - whether it not the side stand has to be lowered to get the correct lean angle.
(quexpress, what you posted was for the V650, not the V1k which they don't show in their site, though I'm sure the info sound correct for both models.)
So it seems I need to get back to asking more questions.
Take a 1-inch block and place it under your sidestand. You will see the lean angle of your bike if it was lowered by 25 mm or 1 inch.
It should then be easy to decide if you wish to shorten the sidestand or not.
mbclark222 and davpag1 like this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bob View Post
Lowering kit went on last week. Love it. Crash bars are on the list.
Did you shorten the kick stand?
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red liner View Post
Did you shorten the kick stand?
Yep. Lowered as per Speedy's instructions.
red liner likes this.
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 AM

Well, the low seat and the handlebar risers took care of most of my issues... Now if only I can get used to those ABS brakes! BAH!

2007 H-D Electra Glide (laid it down Oct. 2nd 2016 with almost 95K miles; may she rest in pieces)
Iron Butt Association
LAMA DAMA since 2014
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:50 PM

Welcome to the forum. I have a 15 and I am also 30" inseam. I bought a Sargent seat from Revzille and it is 1" lower then stock. It made a lot of difference. I now can almost go flat foot on both sides. This seat is way more comfortable then the stock and I love it on long rides. The quality of this seat is outstanding. I didn't want to lower my bike because I like to ride a lot of dirt and unimproved roads. Hope this helps.
Cali Bob likes this.
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 AM

I've lowered my seat too. By gently removing foam by the mm using a scraper and getting it fit back to check height. I think I've dropped by an inch atleast just by the seat.
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:37 AM
BKP

5'9" and 29" inseam (I'm built like a gorilla... short legs, all torso). I've lowered all my adv bikes (V-Strom, Versys, etc.), and they're all different (dog bones to Motowerks). Speedy's is probably the most precise and well articulated kit I've used on any bike. I have >10,000 miles on my 2015 now, and zero issues w/ the kit. I use his connector as well for the lowered kickstand, and while I was a just a bit anxious about the design, with basically the connector supporting the bike, however, it works like a charm, w/ no loosening, no fatiguing, no warping issues at all. IMHO if you *haven't* adjusted your kickstand, you're living dangerously, for the sake of a $25 connector component. Park on a slightly cambered road, and it won't take much to tip your bike.

I've stayed away from lowered seats (although I've replaced all my stock seats w/ aftermarket), because it tends to change your leg geometry and bring your knees up higher. Even w/ my short inseam, the lowering kit does the trick, and I'm *almost* flat-footing on both sides. I've never laid down a lowered bike backing up, or "pedaling" over uneven surfaces...

Bottom line, it's a 3-step process: lowering kit; kickstand adjustment; raise front forks.
onewizard and quexpress like this.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
...I've stayed away from lowered seats (although I've replaced all my stock seats w/ aftermarket), because it tends to change your leg geometry and bring your knees up higher....
That's the reason that quite a few of us have added Speedy's foot-peg lowering blocks to our bikes - REALLY 'opens-up' the rider triangle! Brings 'em down about 1.3". Here's a pic w/ my DR650 footpegs.

BKP likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davpag1 View Post
So there seems a couple of discrepancies in information given from a distributor in the USA to (post by JRW2007) and their head office in Europe (davpag1, me).

One - the length of the springs.

Two - whether it not the side stand has to be lowered to get the correct lean angle.
(quexpress, what you posted was for the V650, not the V1k which they don't show in their site, though I'm sure the info sound correct for both models.)

So it seems I need to get back to asking more questions.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-801W using Tapatalk
I installed the hyperpro lowering spring. The side stand still works but the bike is close to upright so does not feel super stable. so if not flat spot to park or strong wind, I am concerned. I found a local weld shop that will shorten my side stand. He says people request side stands shortened all the time. I lowered the front forks 25 mm to match the rear. I see hyperpro recommends 20 mm. I may try that. at 25 the bike is more repressive/twitchy. I think I like it better on twisties but not on highway. So I may extend the front a little to find a happy medium. try the 20mm instead of 25mm. The 25mm lowering makes a world of difference. Bike feels much lighter and nimbler and I am more confident putting foot down on uneven surfaces.
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode