First mod to the new bike: lowering. Requesting input from the experts. - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Shipping$$$$$$

Your welcome, trying to pass on some wisdom, didn't order the mirror extenders in the spring, didn't think I needed them, it turns out my heated grip Oxford controller ( mounted on my left mirror) would hit my tank bag, so I bought them in November, Speedy gave me a break on shipping, otherwise the shipping was almost as much as the extenders, to Canada! Now I gained some real-estate. Many ask why the highway mounts and why the lowering pegs if you are height challenged on one end. It makes a huge difference to be able to stretch the legs, The brake extender is needed once lowered and with lowering pegs because you run out of adjustment for the foot brake.Not very expensive and a marvel of engineering, be prepared for astonishment in packaging, seeing is believing!!
Cali Bob likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-20-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
i posted my ideas in your other thread -- check it out :-)
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Modified seat

Quote:
I don't know if this will help your wife, but I'm female, 5'6", and very long-legged (32" inseam in men's jeans). I lowered the shock down with the knob adjustment as far as it would go and then I bought some really thick-soled boots. I can pretty much get most of the balls of my feet on the ground when I'm as low as I can get in the seat. I'm probably still going to lower it, but lowering this thing is such a PITA compared to the V-Strom I had back in the day! I figure I'll change one variable at a time and see how each affects the ride before I'll take the big step of lowering it. The first real change I'm making is adding a 1 1/2 inch handlebar riser I just ordered from "Speedy." After I see how that changes my riding position, I'll have to see if I want to get a chunk of foam cut out of the seat (possibly requiring lowering the footpegs as well, also a PITA) OR get the lowering done with the kit. Decisions, decisions! Would that I had unlimited fundage! Good luck to you and your wife, and I'm glad to hear she's riding again. Once you get the V outfitted so it fits her, I'm gonna guess that you'll never ride it again! :-)
Just did that this winter, I am deep into more wiring, and hope to take advantage of the plus 15'C weather coming this week, bike probably has another 12 hours of mounting / wiring to do. Taking extra photos for posting later slows the operation down a bit.I am guessing I will have 16 hours of photo editing /Posting when all is done!!

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Other Thread/ Confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bob View Post
Problem Solved

FYI this has got to be the nicest most picturesque member introduction thread ever, nice touch adding the photos after reaching the 10 post count, there are ways around that 10 post count, however it doesn't take long on this forum!
Cali Bob likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-20-2017 at 07:12 PM.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
(possibly requiring lowering the footpegs as well, also a PITA)
Lowering the footpegs is quite quick and easy.

Ditto the gear change.

The only slight PITA was lowering the brake peddle required removing a cover on the right side that was behind my crash bars.

All in all about a 40 minute DIY job (if on a stand or lift) and 20 minutes for a competent mechanic.

Hint - print out the instructions, including photos, especially if you are giving it to somebody else.
onewizard and Cali Bob like this.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people dont have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
...Like I said, she LOVES the Versys. But it's a tad too tall for her to feel totally confident on it while not moving, and especially when backing up. Hell, I'm 5'11" and it's a little precarious for me when backing up when the ground is slick. So question is, is the MotoWerk lowering kit the best option? And this will also mean adjusting the front shocks and shortening the kickstand. Anything else that needs consideration? Any other thoughts on lowering?

Thanks in advance!
I suggest you set your sag as the FIRST thing you do. I'm 5'9", 31" inseam, stock height bikes (2 Vs). When I get ON it's high, then as I put weight onto the saddle and it 'settles' I can pretty much flat-foot it.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

I suggest you set your sag as the FIRST thing you do. I'm 5'9", 31" inseam, stock height bikes (2 Vs). When I get ON it's high, then as I put weight onto the saddle and it 'settles' I can pretty much flat-foot it.

Good advice, thanks! We set it to the lowest (saggiest?) position when she was test riding it, but it's still too high for her to feel comfortable / confident, as she has a 28" inseam. Lowering kit is happening on Tues.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Another Option

I plan to lower mine as well. the other option besides the Motowerk Kit is a Hyperpro lowering spring. Height adjustment - Hyperpro it lowers the bike 1.0" which is the max the front fork tubes can be lowered (tubes taper after that). so to keep original geometry, I am considering trying the rear lowering spring and lower fork tubes same amount.
davpag1 likes this.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW2007 View Post
I plan to lower mine as well. the other option besides the Motowerk Kit is a Hyperpro lowering spring. Height adjustment - Hyperpro it lowers the bike 1.0" which is the max the front fork tubes can be lowered (tubes taper after that). so to keep original geometry, I am considering trying the rear lowering spring and lower fork tubes same amount.
If you go through the for sale section, you will see where the lowering link has been for sale. If I decide to sell my bike and restore to OEM, I just remove the link and sell it, however the kick stand will need to be extended or replaced. I can weld that piece back in if needed.Changing the spring out won't be as easy a restore to OEM.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:53 AM

We've got a 3,000+ mile trip we're planning for 2018 but we have time to figure that out. ��

The stock seat hurt after 1.5 hours for me. I just got my Russel seat per advice of fellow experienced long distance riders. I got the "sport" version, I am not a big guy. The seat is AMAZING. I did not wear motoskiveez or bicycle padded shorts and I was fine on an 8 trip to St Louis and back. 4.5 hours in the saddle each way, only stopping once for gas each way. Seat was perfectly comfortable. However, it does make it a bit tougher to reach the ground. They explain all that on there website. The seat is pricey, but I suspect priceless for long ride. I am planning a two week, 6800 miles trip from Louisville KY to Hyder AK in July.
Cali Bob likes this.

Last edited by JRW2007; 02-25-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Removed map
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:55 AM

ahh, good point. I did not think of that.
post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

While the new auxiliary lights are bigger than I'd pictured in my head, aesthetically I still like the look.

How the lights work, I still don't know. The shop didn't have a relay kit in stock like their inventory system claimed they did (and there also seemed to be some confusion re: the Versys 1000 has the relay kit built in whereas the 650 does not), so I've gotta wait a few days to try them out. 😏

Really like the bike in its new lowered stance. And the wife loves it - she sat on it in the garage last night as soon as I got home (she was giddy) and immediately took to it. She's excited to ride this weekend, so I'm stoked!
joeusaf1 likes this.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Bob - I gotta admit that your orange is my second choice after the green mine is....
chrisfla1 and Cali Bob like this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:51 AM

And I just bought the low seat from Mr. Woodard, so I'll see how that affects my ride. I think you can tell I don't really want to lower the bike, so I'm trying to avoid it... But I would like to get just a little more of my feet on the ground. I don't need to be flat-footed, but I don't want to sit at a light on one foot, either. Wish me luck!
onewizard likes this.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:47 AM

QUESTIONS I ASKED HYPERPRO REGARDING THEIR LOWERING SPRINGS. -25mm. For V1k

My Height 1.75m. Weight 91kg.

Hyperpro -25mm lowering springs, front and rear.

Can you tell me apart from the height reduction of 25mm do the springs still work the same as the regular hyperpro springs?
ANSWER - *Yes, they work the same as they are progressive springs.

Are the springs the same length as the regular springs?
ANSWER - No.

How do the springs achieve the height reduction if the answer to the above question is yes, if not, How?
ANSWER Height reduction is achieved by shorter springs and different spring preload.

Do you have to adjust the front fork position in any way, as you stated that the springs are shorter?
ANSWER You have to raise the fork 20mm through the triple clamp.

If front springs are shorter, is the space taken up with longer spacers, if not what do you do?
ANSWER There are no longer spacers. You just have to apply the spring preload we advise.

You stated the rear is also shorter. How does this affect the fitting on the shock itself?
ANSWER The length of the spring just not affect the fitting of the shock in any way.

If the springs now lower the bike 25mm, does the side stand need to be cut to accommodate this reduction in height?
ANSWER - As far as I can see, there is no need to cut the side stand in case of this particular motorcycle.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-801W using Tapatalk
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:37 AM

I was told by the HyperPro distributor in the USA that the rear spring is same length. However, the initial coils are weaker so that the bike sits 25 mm lower just from the weight of the bike. Then the normal spring rate starts so it works properly with rider on the bike.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Side Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by davpag1 View Post
QUESTIONS I ASKED HYPERPRO REGARDING THEIR LOWERING SPRINGS. -25mm. For V1k

My Height 1.75m. Weight 91kg.

Hyperpro -25mm lowering springs, front and rear.

Can you tell me apart from the height reduction of 25mm do the springs still work the same as the regular hyperpro springs?
ANSWER - *Yes, they work the same as they are progressive springs.

Are the springs the same length as the regular springs?
ANSWER - No.

How do the springs achieve the height reduction if the answer to the above question is yes, if not, How?
ANSWER Height reduction is achieved by shorter springs and different spring preload.

Do you have to adjust the front fork position in any way, as you stated that the springs are shorter?
ANSWER You have to raise the fork 20mm through the triple clamp.

If front springs are shorter, is the space taken up with longer spacers, if not what do you do?
ANSWER There are no longer spacers. You just have to apply the spring preload we advise.

You stated the rear is also shorter. How does this affect the fitting on the shock itself?
ANSWER The length of the spring just not affect the fitting of the shock in any way.

If the springs now lower the bike 25mm, does the side stand need to be cut to accommodate this reduction in height?
ANSWER - As far as I can see, there is no need to cut the side stand in case of this particular motorcycle.

I question your assumption that the side stand will be OK, when you are raising the front fork 20mm, let us know how that works out.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davpag1 View Post
See:

We recommend using a shortened side-stand to ensure the correct lean angle is maintained.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Im older at this moment than Ive ever been before,
and its the youngest Im ever going to get.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:04 PM

So there seems a couple of discrepancies in information given from a distributor in the USA to (post by JRW2007) and their head office in Europe (davpag1, me).

One - the length of the springs.

Two - whether it not the side stand has to be lowered to get the correct lean angle.
(quexpress, what you posted was for the V650, not the V1k which they don't show in their site, though I'm sure the info sound correct for both models.)

So it seems I need to get back to asking more questions.

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
I was going to reply to a recent thread on lowering but I don't have enough posts to do so (I'd link to said thread but I'm not allowed to do that either), thus the new thread.

So the wife is loving the new Versys and it's got her all excited to ride again. This is huge for us, because it's been a couple years off of two wheels for her. After a fantastic day on an 850 lb 2015 Road Glide Special rental that she was handling like a champ, at the very end of the day after pulling into our crazy steep driveway that ends in an abrupt 90-degree turn, she dropped it and incurred a couple thousand bucks in damages (the dealership didn't offer insurance, believe it or not, so it was all on us). It freaked her out to the point of walking away from riding completely. Until now.

Like I said, she LOVES the Versys. But it's a tad too tall for her to feel totally confident on it while not moving, and especially when backing up. Hell, I'm 5'11" and it's a little precarious for me when backing up when the ground is slick. So question is, is the MotoWerk lowering kit the best option? And this will also mean adjusting the front shocks and shortening the kickstand. Anything else that needs consideration? Any other thoughts on lowering?

Thanks in advance!
get a lowering kit and get some good crash bars. You'll thank me later.
twowheels and quexpress like this.

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode