Worn out Spline on output shaft. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By quackquack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Worn out Spline on output shaft.

So I was going to put on a new front sprocket on my 2011 Versys with 47000 KMs. I bend the washer flat, then I am able to remove the nut by hand. Not a good sign. Then I remove the sprocket one handed. The spline is warn..badly. Has anyone experienced a worn out shaft? I have searched the web and this site. Seems I am alone with this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_072226.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	115201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_072201.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	115209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_072206.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	115217  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 PM

Who originally replaced your countershaft sprocket? You never felt that it was loose?

Part # 13128-0690

https://partshark.vnexttech.com/oemp...f/transmission

Last edited by invader; 02-16-2017 at 08:41 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

This is the original, everything seemed fine. It didn't feel loose.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the original chain early, there was some tight links. I don't know if that could have caused this? I should have checked the sprocket then. I thought it should be fine with low KMs on it. I wonder if the nut was loose from factory.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquack View Post
I replaced the original chain early, there was some tight links. I don't know if that could have caused this? I should have checked the sprocket then. I thought it should be fine with low KMs on it. I wonder if the nut was loose from factory.
It is quite rare for it to be under-torqued from the factory... I did find a similar case with a 2012 Ninja 650 (same engine and transmission). Now made in Thailand, this didn't happen when they were made in Japan like mine:

2012 Ninja650 / ER6 (loose front sprocket) - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Your gearbox now has to be opened and rebuilt with a new output shaft.

Last edited by invader; 02-17-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Countershaft Shot

What Invader said!!

I understand why Invader asks the question, I am behind him 100%. If you understand the drive train of this bike, both drive and driven sprockets have damping, the front is more so for noise, the rear is for shock load. That spline is worn for one reason, the nut could never have been torqued properly, a bad chain will cause sprocket damage but to the teeth.The other thing that bothers me, the sprocket shows signs of bent teeth unless that is camera angle, the problem I have with that is the teeth are bent forward if it was mounted with out side, again it appears it is the camera angle, also judging by the cast shadow, in any case the sprocket teeth look like new.
So if you follow 100's of threads on countershaft sprockets, you will find many that have had to take their bike to the garage to loosen the nut the first time. In being on this forum since 2008, this is a first.So you need a new shaft, sprocket and nut, washer.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-16-2017 at 09:18 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

the teeth are definitely bent (good eye). I do believe that it said "out side" before I removed the sprocket. There was a paint mark on the bent washer that matched up with the nut. When I say I removed the nut by hand. I mean it,
with no effort at all.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

This Versys was made in Thailand
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Just looked at the 2012 Ninja thread from 2014 from Invader. The teeth are bent/worn the same way as mine.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Yes, your sprocket teeth wear pattern is perfectly normal... Nothing is bent.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Still Need a New Shaft

Good point, bottom line is you need about $250 worth of parts, and I would suggest a new oil seal and the spacer, as a fair amount of heat was produced, you also need to check your rear sprocket, it too may need replacing. Let us know if you are doing the work or getting it done. Bearing pullers may be needed, and you may need to replace the final drive bearing. I am sure that Invader will have something to say on this, and I will add that 99% of what he says is 100% accurate. Don't ask for me to explain this!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Looks like your front sprocket is wearing normally - that is the U is starting to widen and wearing one side of the tooth more and creating a hook - just normal type of wear for old sprocket.

Now the splines are worrying. you can see that the splines have a different shape 1/4 the way in. the splines should all look the same for the full depth of the spline, yours looks like it is also wearing like sprocket. I have not seen this before.
If you are not the original owner then previous owner may have put on a cheap sprocket that was loose. Sprockets should be nice exact fitting (not tight), definitely not loose. By loose I mean that the sprocket can rotate on the splines if rotated. If the sprocket was loose then the movement and shock of launching the bike, hard launches and clutch slamming might have cause the wear you see on the splines.

Last edited by Gigitt; 02-17-2017 at 01:35 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Good point, bottom line is you need about $250 worth of parts, and I would suggest a new oil seal and the spacer, as a fair amount of heat was produced, you also need to check your rear sprocket, it too may need replacing. Let us know if you are doing the work or getting it done. Bearing pullers may be needed, and you may need to replace the final drive bearing. I am sure that Invader will have something to say on this, and I will add that 99% of what he says is 100% accurate. Don't ask for me to explain this!
I do plan on doing the work myself. I will look into buying those parts also. thankyou for the advice. I bought a new sprocket and chain set.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Photos Appreciated / How To

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquack View Post
I do plan on doing the work myself. I will look into buying those parts also. thankyou for the advice. I bought a new sprocket and chain set.
If you don't mind, please take the extra time to take photos and post them, I will start a thread in the How To Forum on changing counter shaft, as this is a first for this forum.
quackquack likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Looks like your front sprocket is wearing normally - that is the U is starting to widen and wearing one side of the tooth more and creating a hook - just normal type of wear for old sprocket.

Now the splines are worrying. you can see that the splines have a different shape 1/4 the way in. the splines should all look the same for the full depth of the spline, yours looks like it is also wearing like sprocket. I have not seen this before.
If you are not the original owner then previous owner may have put on a cheap sprocket that was loose. Sprockets should be nice exact fitting (not tight), definitely not loose. By loose I mean that the sprocket can rotate on the splines if rotated. If the sprocket was loose then the movement and shock of launching the bike, hard launches and clutch slamming might have cause the wear you see on the splines.
The sprocket plus the washer doesn't fill the full depth of the spline. I think that is why the wear looks like it does. I am the original owner. This was from factory.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

I will take lots of pictures.
onewizard likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 AM

My first impression/question was "have you been doing any tractor pulls with the bike". I have seen splines wear out on any number of things but I have never seen them mis-shaped quite like those are. I wouldn't think that a loose sprocket would cause that (they usually fit well to begin with). A monster amount of torque "yes". Perhaps a "soft" shaft (not heat treated properly)? Might ask Ma Kaw and see if they have had any other shaft failures.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 AM

That would be long-term output shaft spline wear due to the loose nut, as the sprocket is not press-fit tight to start with. It needs to be clamped down to 90 ft-lbs to be secure and void of any movement, friction, and pounding.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode