Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Throttle cable help needed

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  onewizard 
#1 ·
OK I'm stumped. I've researched the topic with limited success, and tried to install/reinstall about 10-15 times with no solution.
Here is my dilemma: I am replacing my AME heated grips with a replacement set due to the throttle side grip stopped working after 3 years. No biggie, or so I thought. I CAN NOT for the life of me get the throttle side back together without it binding and not snapping back on the return. What I've done so far:
-Cleaned and lubed the cables
-Checked for kinks and damage
-Adjusted the free play (which I had to use the lower push cable adjuster to get it within specs)
-Checked new grip for possible casting issues or rub spots
-Checked the switch/throttle housing for issues
With all that ruled out I believe I have narrowed it down th THIS: (See pictures)Where the push cable wraps around the top of the throttle cam and goes down inside the switch housing it seems to be sliding in between the housing and the cam and is getting pinched or something when I tighten down the 2 mounting screws. IF I don't don't tighten them down all the way the throttle snaps back just fine.
Is the cable supposed to ride on top pf the cam the whole time? It seems the lower cable guide in the housing is keeping it from being in the right place?
Who has taken their throttle housing apart and has a suggestion or tip for the cable routing or something i have overlooked?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I presume it's the same as the ninja 650. Unfortunately I don't recall the details. But process logically.

Examine the housing for wear.
Also, this recess where you pass the cable might receive the upper housing.
In any case, I think the cable end shouldn't be at an angle like that.

I suspect the cable should pass on top as you guessed. Didn't you try that already?
Have you dropped a free piece without noticing?
Good luck.

#3 ·
Similar issue

I had a similar issue with my Oxfords, once they were heated up the return was binding, I found the grip was hitting the bar end weight. I trimmed it, end of problem.
I tried searching for pictures on this forum, no luck, I did find a notation about a locating pin on one of the housings that matches the handle bar.As to the cables, I don't see any other routing option.

#4 ·
I had a similar issue with my Oxfords, once they were heated up the return was binding, I found the grip was hitting the bar end weight. I trimmed it, end of problem.
I tried searching for pictures on this forum, no luck, I did find a notation about a locating pin on one of the housings that matches the handle bar.As to the cables, I don't see any other routing option.
Same thing here with a grip on my Royal Enfield. I simply loosened the bolts and slid it in a bit for more clearance and problem solved.

#6 · (Edited)
Guide Pin ?

When I mention guide pin, if it wasn't in place correctly, it would cause binding. My reference is the clearance between the bar end weight and the grip, if the throtlle worked fine before it should work fine with the new grip. Also it is not clear, does the throttle return no problem if the switch housing is left apart? Could you take a close up picture of the cables at the cam. Could you also get a picture of the whole grip with the switch housing assembled, including the bar end weight.

#7 ·
Do not cut off the locating pin!!! It is there to prevent the housing from rotating as you turn the throttle. The last thing you want is to need to grab a whole handful of gas and not get any because the whole housing turned. Recheck the cable adjustment, make sure there is a little play at the grip and the cables are seated in the grip cam correctly.

#9 ·
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

You need a second set of eyes, hence the request for pictures. All problems are simple once they are solved, like I said, my case was puzzling as it only happened after about 1/2 hour of riding with the grips turned on. Once I loosened the bar end weight it became obvious what the problem was, and yes I tried adjusting my cable slack first.

#9 ·
Guide Pin ?

When I mention guide pin, if it wasn't in place correctly, it would cause binding. My reference is the clearance between the bar end weight and the grip, if the throtlle worked fine before it should work fine with the new grip. Also it is not clear, does the throttle return no problem if the switch housing is left apart? Could you take a close up picture of the cables at the cam.

#10 ·
I took my 13 apart today. The cable should be on the top of the cam. Pic 2 it is on the side as you stated.
The cable guides are in the housings and should keep the cable on top of the cam. Start reassembly with the fwd section, make sure you get the cable into the fwd grip housing in the correct position. The tab on the cable is inside of the housing. At this point I had a lot of slack in the aft cable and could position it in the guide of the aft housing. Nest the two sections togeather, aline the indexing pin with the bar and screw it togeather.
It took me a couple of tries to get it right. I have factory grips and NO heaters to deal with.

Good luck

#11 ·
Reactions: JT in GA
#12 ·
  • Love
Reactions: Axel Johansson