Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Nice article on Traction Control Systems

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Cheftyler 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Don't know if this is on Versys yet, but sure it will be soon enough.
TCS's are complex but this article I found online from 2009 was the best
and very helpful. The site asks you to join like that's the only way to get
the article but I found I could just click on the blue, "Download PDF text"
on the right and my PC sucked right down, no probs.

link here:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/26578103_Traction_Control_System_for_Motorcycles

Enjoy!

Andrew

#2 ·
The Versys 1000 comes with Traction Control. I just keep it in the minimal setting. You can turn it off but when you shut off the engine and start it back up its back on.

#3 ·
So, if the TCU is on when the bike is turned off does it remember that setting when the bike is re-started?

There seem to be 3 levels of TCU's out there:
1. Remembers nothing, always returns to default "ON".
2. Returns to previous settings if it was "ON" before engine switch-off.
3. You can set it and forget it if wanted.

Also, supposedly it's very helpful for more sporty riding. Supposed to work with ABS to improve safety.
Does your experience say otherwise? (And thanks for replying).

Just curious,

Andrew

#4 ·
#5 ·
The TC on the Versys remembers the setting on restart if it was on when you last ran the bike. If TC was off, it defaults to setting 1 on restart.

Generally the TC is pretty hard to notice when it kicks in. I have not noticed any noises or feedback at the controls when it kicks in like ABS. It generally just feels like you're suddenly short on power.

It doesn't say in the page weljo links to but it also controls or reduces wheelies. The front wheel will float a bit on hard acceleration in setting 1 but setting 3 is supposed to pretty much prevent wheelies.

#6 ·
The only time I kicked in the traction control on the Concours was a scary situation. I was pulling out from a gas station going right. Had to cross some new construction for lane widening to the usable road. As I was pulling out, I noticed a Dodge Charger pulling out from the street before the gas station and knew he was going to get on it because of approaching traffic on the main road.

I gave it some throttle to stay out in front of him and the rear tire lost traction a little on some sand that was on the road. Without traction control, the tire would have found solid road and I would have been gone. With traction control the throttle was chopped and I was losing forward momentum. The problem was that I didn't truly understand how the Kawasaki traction control was implemented and what I needed to do. I finally closed the throttle which disengaged the traction control and allowed me to accelerate the hell out of there.

This all happened in a second or two, but felt like minutes when it was happening because so many decisions had to be made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.