Installing a Shinko E705 w/ zip-ties - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Green Streak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Installing a Shinko E705 w/ zip-ties

Finally removed the Metzler Tourance rear (150/70) tire and replaced it w/ a Shinko E705 in the same size, using "zip-ties" (I had invited another inmate, Skipper1940, over to watch).

First order-of-business was to leave the removed wheel and the new tire in the sun to warm up.

Here's what that Tourance tire looked like after 12,337 MILES!

There's about .1 to .130" of tread at the "thinnest" part in the center; and here's the new Shinko, which has a "BIT" more...!

W/ the tire removed I cleaned the wheel, then put a 90 degree valve stem in.

I had the camera near by, but forgot to take a pic of the Shinko w/ 16 zip-ties, so here's a pic of the front Tourance w/ 17 of them (incidentally - that tire NOW has 26,697 miles on it, w/ LOTS of tread still on it! - when I re-installed it after removing the TKC80).

But I DID get a pic once I got the bead set (took awhile, and two tie-downs wrapped around the center of the tread to seat it before it would!), and had installed my "Dyna-Beads",

but ran into ANOTHER problem: I always check the valve-stem for leaks, and I found it leaking SLIGHTLY, so I removed the valve, replaced it w/ another, which ALSO was leaking. I didn't particularly want to break the bead and replace the 90 degree valve stem, so I dripped a bit of tire-lube around it, re-installed it, added air - and it HELD! SO, back onto BIG RED and took this pic.

I'll re-check it, watching the valve-stem for leaking....

As an aside - I put a plug into that rear Tourance (150/70) when we got to AZ, due to a slow leak in the center of the tread (glass...?), and got another 3,039 miles from it before the tire-change.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-06-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Garage
Eddie,

Unless there is another post, you didn't explain how / why you used the zip ties, instead of just the tire levers.

Alan

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:14 PM

Looks ready to go hit some gravel.... time for another PHX rider meet?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Eddie,

Unless there is another post, you didn't explain how / why you used the zip ties, instead of just the tire levers.

Alan
SORRY - I realized that last night after I was going to bed, so here goes:

FIRST - when I say "16 zip-ties" I'm actually referencing 32 of them, 16 each of 11" white ones, and 8" black SACRIFICIAL ones;
SECOND - put JUST enough of an 8" into the 11" female end, so that it holds against a 'tug', on each pair, making 16;
THIRD - take your WARMED new tire and put the now-attached zip-ties around (so that the white one is around the tread, the black over the beads), then slide the white male-end into the black female, ENSURING that both ends of the black are away from the bead so they don't get caught inside the tire later, and take up some of the slack by pulling the black male end (I hold the two sides of the bead together, sometimes by kneeling);
FOURTH - continue till they're ALL around the tire about equi-distant, and SNUG the zip-ties till they're all tight, w/ the two sides of the beads touching, or as CLOSE as you can get - it gets easier as they get tightened;
FIFTH - put some tire lube around the bead (I've used tire lube, WD40, dish soap - whatever works for you);
SIXTH - place the tire against the rim (you'll find that over half will be IN the channel), then take two tire irons to the part that's NOT IN yet, push... and SUDDENLY, as if by MAGIC, the tire is ON the rim!
SEVENTH - take side-cutters and cut the BLACK female end so that you don't also cut the white, then pull the black one thru the rim, off the tire, and discard. (Later you can cut the male end of the black near the female white part, pull the remainder of it out, thus salvaging your 11" whites for another time.) In this pic I used whites for both zip-ties, but it's easier to salvage when I use different colors.

Now add air till your beads 'seat', remove the valve to add "Dyna-Beads", re-install and add air.

From the FIFTH thru SEVENTH steps took me about ONE minute - probably the quickest tire install EVER (and you can check w/ Skipper1940 who watched it happen)!!! All because the tire beads DON'T get 'hung-up' while you're TRYING to get the tire "up-and-over" that last little bit.

Easy-peasy....

-

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-07-2017 at 01:40 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
Looks ready to go hit some gravel.... time for another PHX rider meet?
I'll be putting another ride (yesterday!) into MEMBERS RIDES PDQ, and it had DIRT. Up the Apache Trail again.

Yah - let's do another....

-

Ed

..)

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:16 PM

This is my normal procedure for a tire change..... except I use a 24" zip tie on shinko tires which have stiffer sidewalls. 18" ties will work but there is less tail to pull those beads together, or maybe it's me being old and weak. On Michelin pilot road series the 18 is perfect.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
This is my normal procedure for a tire change..... except I use a 24" zip tie on shinko tires which have stiffer sidewalls. 18" ties will work but there is less tail to pull those beads together, or maybe it's me being old and weak. On Michelin pilot road series the 18 is perfect.
I use two per, the short one as a 'sacrificial' one, to keep co$ts down (I'm a pensioner....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I need to ask the make of bead breaker, I am guessing Harbor Freight?? Same with the tire irons. The 90' valve stem, several out there, some better than others. Also there may be people with interest of Dyna Beeds . I recall a thread on this in 2016. Edit, found earlier posts,with some info on bed breaker and beeds and added to How, but not all . Got to go, wrestling time with the dog!!

This would be a good post to copy to How To Thanks for sharing!!!
Got that Bead Breaker from Whitehorse Gear, but don't remember who supplied the tire irons.

Glen - look for a PM on those generic 'dyna-beads'....

NEXT time I'll try for a FEW more pics....

Ed

..)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:00 PM

I used 24" cable ties from harbor freight. A 10 pack only costs $1.69. You can reuse them by using a small flat head screw driver to release the pawl and remove the ties. I did this because I am a really cheap SOB.

24 in. Heavy Duty Cable Ties 10 Pk.

It only took 6 to install a Michelin PR4. It works really well - the hardest part is threading the zip ties between the tire and the rim, but with a little practice it is not too bad. Just tighten each zip tie until the beads meet in the center. I used RUGLIDE on the bead to make it slide on and off the rim easily. I bought a gallon of it (lifetime supply) at my auto parts store because that is the smallest quantity they had. I have also seen people use Windex to lubricate the bead with good results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160818_164855.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	112866  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Tires Zip Tie/ earlier posts and Video

I have added these and earlier posts along with a video , under the How To Forum , Tires Replacement Zip Tie
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
...It only took 6 to install a Michelin PR4. It works really well - the hardest part is threading the zip ties between the tire and the rim, but with a little practice it is not too bad. Just tighten each zip tie until the beads meet in the center. I used RUGLIDE on the bead to make it slide on and off the rim easily. I bought a gallon of it (lifetime supply) at my auto parts store because that is the smallest quantity they had. I have also seen people use Windex to lubricate the bead with good results.
IF I read your post correctly - you used zip-ties to REMOVE your tire? I've only used them to install tires, so far.

Ed

..)

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF I read your post correctly - you used zip-ties to REMOVE your tire? I've only used them to install tires, so far.
Yes, you are correct - I used zip ties to remove the tires and install them. It is almost the same process except that when you are removing the tire, you have to slide the zip tie between the bead and the rim. It helps if you have the tire vertical and resting on the tire (after you have completely broken the bead of course). You can slide the zip tie through from the top, rotate the tire slightly and install the next zip tie. Tighten the zip ties until the beads touch in the center all the way around the tire.

To remove the tire, first lubricate the bead and the inside surface of the rim on the same side. It does not matter which side you choose to remove. Holding the tire vertical on the ground, push the rim downward as far as it will go to put the bead into the valley of the rim. Grab one of the spokes at the top of the rim, and push the top of the tire while pulling the rim in the opposite direction until the tire comes off of the rim. You can do this without tools.

The rear tire is more difficult than the front because it is harder to slide the zip ties between the bead and the rim. The rear tire is also stiffer.

All of this would be much easier to show in a video. Maybe the next time I change tires, I will do a video on removing the tires.
bigaussie likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Green Streak - MANY THANKS for your explanation. I'll try to remember and try it next tire-change.

Ed

..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode