Lowering Question - 650L - Raising front forks - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lowering Question - 650L - Raising front forks

I'm getting ready to install the SW Motech Lowering kit and have a question.

In raising the front forks, does the front wheel need to come off first?

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
I'm getting ready to install the SW Motech Lowering kit and have a question.

In raising the front forks, does the front wheel need to come off first?
No to your question, I am surprised that good instructions weren't included, Speedy has step by step instruction for his lowering link. One bit of advice, if you have a triple tree front stand I would advise to use it. Other ways are if you have a overhead beam, I have seen someone use the track for the garage door , etc. you need to take the weight off the front wheel, using the handle bars or frame forward of the battery. You can also access the tubing that goes through the frame and use blocking to support the bike. Also can use jack stands under the foot pegs, although you will need to add a bit of counter weight to the rear, foot pegs are forward of the balance point.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:22 AM

I get my Versys tomorrow and bought the Speedy lowering kit also last week. Truthfully, this is not really a one-person job to be on the safe side. Having a bike lift and an extra set of hands is what I plan on having next week when I tackle this one. Also, one thing that no one seems to mention the process of using the bending plate included in the lowering kit for the 15-17 models. That is a completely extra step process I was not aware of. Doable but more challenging.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
I get my Versys tomorrow and bought the Speedy lowering kit also last week. Truthfully, this is not really a one-person job to be on the safe side. Having a bike lift and an extra set of hands is what I plan on having next week when I tackle this one. Also, one thing that no one seems to mention the process of using the bending plate included in the lowering kit for the 15-17 models. That is a completely extra step process I was not aware of. Doable but more challenging.
more complicated than it sounds, follow the instructions, somewhere I have pictures of my 2015. A large 12 inch adjustable or a pair of 10 inch channel lock pliers , even vise grips will work. Most important thing is supporting the front of the bike, also use caution on the left shock. I did it by myself, then a oops, left shock stopped by clutch cable.I have details somewhere here.

FAO: Lowering the Versys this Sunday

Last edited by onewizard; 01-06-2017 at 11:45 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:00 PM

I lowered mine last week, Hyperpro spring on the back and slid the forks up. I did it by myself and was one of the easiest mods I've done on a bike. You may want to read my thread on unintended consequences to read how I held the back of the bike up. Steve
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
, Speedy has step by step instruction for his lowering link.

I've seen "Speedy's" name mentioned several times. Being a Versys newbie I have to ask, who is he and is he connected w/ SW Motech?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Google Search / Lowering Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
I've seen "Speedy's" name mentioned several times. Being a Versys newbie I have to ask, who is he and is he connected w/ SW Motech?
As in the title this will come up; https://motowerk.com/ He is a member on this forum and has been making quality products for many years. I did a search on SW Motech and got zip, found something for a 1000 Versys at Twisted throttle, possibly missed it. Since your product is made by SW Motech, you should be following their instructions. Personally , this is my second Versys, highway peg mounts, lowering footpeg mounts, mirror extenders, lowering link, foot brake extender, flat foot, passenger lowering foot peg mounts. Yes there are cheaper products out there, but I will say nothing superior to his products.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
As in the title this will come up; https://motowerk.com/ He is a member on this forum and has been making quality products for many years.
Yeah, I've been to that site. Likely that I'll eventually get his mirror extenders.

Wish he sold a dash shelf, I could sure use one.

Here are pictures of a dash shelf that I used on one of my bikes in the past. they really come in handy. The place where his GPS mount fixes to the windshield bracket would be perfect:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode