2017 Instrumentation - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2017 Instrumentation

I was having a peak at the new 2017 model and it got me thinking (always trouble), so...

What would be involved in updating the instrument panel on a 2016 to a 2017?

Would there be new wires ? Would it need an ECU transplant as well?

Yup, i want it just for the integrated gear indicator :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017KLE650FHF_BK1_meter.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	111002  
quexpress and steve1503 like this.

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 07:05 PM

Are the 2017's even out yet? Why not simply trade yours in? The 2016 model is in fact obsolete with its absence of a factory gear indicator.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:24 AM

Is it april's fools already? The only things you need to know is the rpms+speed.
Give youself a season, then you will know what gear you are in.

If you wrote the 2017 had a voltmeter, I would not have said anything else than "get a voltmeter".

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:42 PM

This is not for your year, but get yourself one of these Motorcycle Gear Indicator Red LED for Kawasaki Versys Z1000 650 Z750 2010-2016 | eBay
It is plug and play. I have started the new year with a good deed. I just saved you a couple grand$$$$$

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies but all answers haven't addressed the question.
To the Canooks - eat some fish or find a solarium, lots of Vitamin D, it'll be summer in no time and you'll be on your V again!

If I wanted the gear indicator accessory I'd just go ahead and buy the OEM, it's only $100.

I'll clarify the question.
The panel on the 2015-16 model seems to match the same shape and dimensions of the new 2017 model.
If I wanted to buy a 2017 panel and swap them over, would it be plug and play. Would it be easy enough to re-route the wires dedicated for the gear indicator and crimp on some suitable connectors.
I know it's a tall ask as no one in the public has yet got there hands on a 2017 (that i know of) however I was hoping to tap into some people with good electrical knowledge.

Cheers!
quexpress likes this.

My motovlog

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:29 PM

Here's some clarification for you... It's still a stupid question.

Would it be easy enough to re-route the wires dedicated for the gear indicator and crimp on some suitable connectors?

Last edited by invader; 01-01-2017 at 07:31 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:30 PM

The 2017's are out but not all dealers have received them yet. Many are still trying to get rid of the 2015's and 2016's at a discounted price. My opinion only, but in general the Versys is not a real strong selling brand overall. It is a very reliable machine but doesn't appeal to many for whatever reason. At full retail not really a great deal. When discounted they are a good deal. As far as the gear indicator, I've ridden bikes my whole life without the gear indicator and don't really even care if it has one. When you are in-tune and one with the bike just listen and it speaks.
invader and onewizard like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:04 AM

My closest dealer doesn't have them yet, but it doesn't appear to have many changes other than the gear indicator, wheel stripes, and a new color choice called Metallic Flat Raw Titanium.

In my town, my dealer says the Versys 650 is a popular bike and a top seller for them. It took me 3 weeks to get my '16 LT in September and doesn't have any leftover 16's, much less 15's. Since we can ride pretty much year round in California (except when it rains) , I believe bike inventory moves pretty well year round for the dealers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 Versys.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	111354  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 AM

problems with the 2015-16 instrumentation IMO isn't the lack of a gear indicator , it's the tiny little icons that a can barely see with my glasses on when the bike isn't moving, and cannot see at all when I'm riding. Steve
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
...it's the tiny little icons that I can barely see with my glasses on when the bike isn't moving, and cannot see at all when I'm riding. Steve
Steve - WHICH icons are you referring to?

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:08 PM
RMS

Why don't you just Google a 2017 and look at the pictures , They do show a gear indicator
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
problems with the 2015-16 instrumentation IMO isn't the lack of a gear indicator , it's the tiny little icons that a can barely see with my glasses on when the bike isn't moving, and cannot see at all when I'm riding. Steve

New glasses?

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i don't quite get the whole ego stroking on a technical question.
The one-ness with the bike is dandy until you start looking for 7th gear or stall up hill at lights in 2nd. Don't bother telling me that has never happened.
A gear indicator is a simple convenience available on many bikes and is now integrated on the 2017. No one should have to justify why they want it, KHI have made it so.
If you don't like it, be my guest and bury yourself in snow with your MK 1's and 2's. Ridr4life bro!
Back to the original question/post...
The ECU on the 2015 is pumping out all the same info as far as i can tell. I'm guessing/hoping its just a matter of where the wiring goes.
hopefully someone will post a link for the 2017 service manual soon. Even just a pic of whats under the dash would be great.
quexpress likes this.

My motovlog

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Steve - WHICH icons are you referring to?
oh you can't see them either? Steve
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

I can see all of them on my Gen 3's dash....
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:30 PM

You know, Honda makes an automatic...

And once I had to ride my Harley Electra Glide for 20 miles of city traffic in only one gear: third. [Transmission issue.]

Just sayin'.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 PM

Garage
Don't know why everyone is crapping on the OP, he asked a very reasonable question.
weljo2001 and quexpress like this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:12 AM

Garage
I for one like having a gear indicator. Would i like it already in the bikes dash gauges heck yea. But for now I'm happy with the OEM one i installed.....

P1010514 by weljo2001, on Flickr
quexpress likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Time Sensitive post

Attitude can play a large part in some responses, my last post in this thread I deleted, as the response I got back wasn't one I expected when trying to help. Of all the people on this forum, I am going to say I am the most qualified to pull off a conversion like this. I will explain at the end of my post.

This is what I would like the OP to do;
Go to your nearest Kawasaki dealer, find out the part number for the ECU of the 2017, compare that to the 2016 to see if they are the same, if they are great.
Also get a price and delivery on a 2017 Instrumentation display, see what is involved in the ordering process, what I mean by that is a serial number of your bike required to order this, the reason I ask this is due to liability, if it is possible to cause damage to your engine, they will refuse to sell it to you. Again I will explain this possible damage and the reason for the ECU part number.

Explanation;
If Kawasaki is smart, they would have used the technology they developed in the gear indicator to improve performance of the 2017, presently we have a closed loop oxygen sensor, crankshaft position sensor , vacuum, air temperature, speed sensor. What if we input what gear you are in in relation to the TPS to determine what you as a rider are asking the ECU to do in response to what it is able to do. The information is already there as to engine RPM and speed , however they may make use of the computer/whatever you want to call it when displaying mileage / fuel consumption .
Many of the signals are either pulse or analogue , the TPS is analogue, inserting a blocking diode would throw the signal off by 0.7 VDC , just a example, this would involve scaling the raw signal with the blocked signal, so that both devices sharing the signal saw Identical readings. Not saying that will be the case, just a example I have had to deal with over the last 40 years. Kawasaki does not share the design of the electronics of the ECU or of the display, when the magic smoke escapes it is gone forever.
So the big problem is if they share the information of crankshaft position etc with the display and have produced a different ECU and or changed the wiring to prevent signal feedback to accommodate these changes, I think the outcome of hooking up the 2017 display if it caused damage to the ECU of the 2016,that you would have more to say than oh well, it's just money.

One last thing, owners manuals and service manuals are not readily available, Kawasaki has decided to charge for both, although the owners manual is downloadable for free if you put in your Zip number, or register with your bike info.

Like my last post, if this isn't what you are looking for I can delete it too.
quexpress and Tomasama like this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
This is what I would like the OP to do;
Go to your nearest Kawasaki dealer, find out the part number for the ECU of the 2017, compare that to the 2016 to see if they are the same, if they are great.
Also get a price and delivery on a 2017 Instrumentation display, see what is involved in the ordering process, what I mean by that is a serial number of your bike required to order this, the reason I ask this is due to liability, if it is possible to cause damage to your engine, they will refuse to sell it to you. Again I will explain this possible damage and the reason for the ECU part number.
For what it's worth .... at Kawasaki Parts House:

The relay assembly box seems to be the same for 2016 and 2017.

27002-0025 Ė relay assembly box

2016 Kawasaki VERSYS 650 ABS (KLE650FGF) Chassis Electrical Equipment | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

2017 Kawasaki VERSYS 650 ABS (KLE650FHF) Chassis Electrical Equipment | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

The meter portions seem to be different :

2017 Kawasaki VERSYS 650 ABS (KLE650FHF) Meter(s) | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

METER,SP&LCD 28011-0688

2016 Kawasaki VERSYS 650 ABS (KLE650FGF) Meter(s) | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

METER,SP&LCD 28011-0616

The wiring harnesses also seem to be different.

2016 Kawasaki VERSYS 650 ABS (KLE650FGF) Chassis Electrical Equipment | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

26031-1890 or 1892

2017 Kawasaki VERSYS 650 ABS (KLE650FHF) Chassis Electrical Equipment | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

26031-2161 or 2218

Good luck!
onewizard and Tomasama like this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode