• 1 Post By invader
  • 4 Post By jdrocks
  • 2 Post By Komoshn22
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Rear Caliper braket loose

First time posting, long time lurking. I'm in the process of rebuilding an 08 V I inherited recently and its almost done (pics coming soon). I've done all the work myself from end to end, except tire change. I figured while I'm having the tires changed, I'll ask the mechanic to change both sprockets and change the chain as well.

Today, I noticed when I slam on the rear brakes, I hear a banging noise. After inspection I noticed its the rear caliper bracket which the 2 rear caliper bolts attach to. The bracket moves front to back, but not side to side. The caliper bolts are tight per spec and caliper does not seem to be the culprit. I don't remember hearing this prior to visiting this mechanic. Before I call him can you direct me please. Is it a spacer, pin or anything that he could have missed. Thanks in advance.

Papa K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:52 AM

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komoshn22 View Post
Today, I noticed when I slam on the rear brakes, I hear a banging noise. After inspection I noticed its the rear caliper bracket which the 2 rear caliper bolts attach to. The bracket moves front to back, but not side to side. The caliper bolts are tight per spec and caliper does not seem to be the culprit. I don't remember hearing this prior to visiting this mechanic. Before I call him can you direct me please. Is it a spacer, pin or anything that he could have missed. Thanks in advance.

Papa K
the rear caliper bracket engages an anti-rotation tab on the swingarm when the rear wheel is properly installed. your "mechanic" apparently overlooked this part of the install. the bike can not be ridden in this condition, so have him pick it up, fix it, then deliver it back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, appreciate it.

Papa K
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Guys, I need further help please. I don't trust this mechanic and as I've done all the work on my bike, I want resolve this issue myself. I took the rear wheel off to inspect the anti rotation for the rear caliper. I see the square tab on the that the bracket fits into, but there is play when I hold up the bracket against it, just as there was play with the bracket when the wheel was installed. What am I missing here? The slot seems a bit larger than the tab and there is 1/8 to 1/4 movement!

Thank you.

Papa K
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 PM

Can you let us see what we're dealing with here?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Garage
the matching mating surfaces have an approximate 2mm taper and are designed to lock together when assembled, virtually no movement when done properly. you're saying that your observed movement is 3X the taper, no way without something being messed up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Resolved.

It was not assembled properly. Actually nothing was IMO. I removed the wheel and chain and reassembled using common sense and it went back together like ying yang. What threw me off was the 2mm taper because when I disassembled I put up the bracket slot against the tab and I had movement. When I zipped it all up, it was all fine.

Lesson learned......Learn to change my tires myself and never trust my bike to any mechanic. Its about the only thing I haven't done yet.

Thank you very much JDrocks & invader. Best wishes for the New Year.

Papa K
onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 AM

Garage
"Lesson learned......Learn to change my tires myself and never trust my bike to any mechanic. It's about the only thing I haven't done yet."

There are a lot of incompetent mechanics, often due to pressure from the boss to get the work done as quickly as possible. I do all my own mechanical work but I don't have a tire changer or balancing stand. The solution for me is to remove the wheels and take them to a person that I trust to properly mount the tire. Finding that person may be a challenge. I use a small local two-partner business: it is better to have the boss do the work than a pressed-for-time hired hand.
onewizard likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting, the hardest part at times is the first attempt at doing the wrenching yourself. If you do it one step at a time, make notes take pictures, soon it is easy!!
FYI there are PDF manuals for MK-1,MK-2,MK-3 and also the V1000 on this forum. As we progress , those that have taken the time to take pictures and add description of How To do it, those threads will be copied to the How To Forum, the original thread will continue for further input/ questions. Some of the existing threads in that forum were more of a discussion with excellent pictures, some photos have been lost due to the change over from the original back in 2008.

weljo2001 likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komoshn22 View Post
...Learn to change my tires myself and never trust my bike to any mechanic....
The FIRST (and only) time I used a bike-shop (one that sold Bandits, BTW) to change a tire was on my Suzuki Bandit 1200. They called to say the tire was IN, so I made an appointment, removed the wheel, drove in (an hour), handed the wheel to the mechanic and said "You know which way the wheel rotates?" as the tire had directional arrows on it, to which he scoffed "Of-BLOODY-course I do!"

I went to their lounge, had a coffee, read a magazine, then they called my name saying that it was ready.

Picked up the wheel, looked at the arrows - they'd mounted it backwards!!! I made them remove it and do it right, but then I started doing my own tires.

-

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The FIRST (and only) time I used a bike-shop (one that sold Bandits, BTW) to change a tire was on my Suzuki Bandit 1200. They called to say the tire was IN, so I made an appointment, removed the wheel, drove in (an hour), handed the wheel to the mechanic and said "You know which way the wheel rotates?" as the tire had directional arrows on it, to which he scoffed "Of-BLOODY-course I do!"

I went to their lounge, had a coffee, read a magazine, then they called my name saying that it was ready.

Picked up the wheel, looked at the arrows - they'd mounted it backwards!!! I made them remove it and do it right, but then I started doing my own tires.

-
Do you have a recommended method? I spend about $100 usd on tire changes each year.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:44 AM

I have good luck with the No-Mar bar and a fleabay bead breaker base.
I think I've got about two bills tied up in the tools but receive a regular supply of pizza for their use by other riders.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
Do you have a recommended method? I spend about $100 usd on tire changes each year.
I use a 'bead-breaker' I bought from Whitehorse Gear, 3 long tire irons, LOTS of lube (either tire-lube I buy at a tire shop, or WD40), and ALWAYS HAVE THE TIRES HOT (sit them in the sun!).

When installing the new ones I use zip-ties, and the tires go on EASILY!!!

Here's a pic including the tools:

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
caliper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode