Fitting different tires to the V - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:29 PM

Here are a couple of threads from the 'other' forum on 17" tires for off-pavement:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426279
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423332

It's a fairly common quandry for the supermoto guys that want to do some off-pavement riding.

Perhaps you could get your Versys looking more like this.

Bottom line for off-pavement for the versys from anyone with offroad experience is that the tires, no matter how good, won't cover the defects of suspension or weight of the bike, nor the small front tire diameter and width. Those all become the limiting factors.

A guy should really drop his bike over, get used the scratches since that's inevitable, and then make sure you can actually pick it back up. A 450lb dirtbike is no picnic.

EDIT: BTW, the bike in the background of that photo is a GasGas EC300, (most likely, based on its color). I rode a EC250 for 3 or 4 years and they are great offroad bikes. Weight is about 230lbs, plenty of power, proper knobbies with a 21" front tire, 12" of ground clearance, and 12" of suspension travel with a Ohlins shock and Marzocchi forks.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Here are a couple of threads from the 'other' forum on 17" tires for off-pavement:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426279
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423332

It's a fairly common quandry for the supermoto guys that want to do some off-pavement riding.

Perhaps you could get your Versys looking more like this.

Bottom line for off-pavement for the versys from anyone with offroad experience is that the tires, no matter how good, won't cover the defects of suspension or weight of the bike, nor the small front tire diameter and width. Those all become the limiting factors.

A guy should really drop his bike over, get used the scratches since that's inevitable, and then make sure you can actually pick it back up. A 450lb dirtbike is no picnic.

EDIT: BTW, the bike in the background of that photo is a GasGas EC300, (most likely, based on its color). I rode a EC250 for 3 or 4 years and they are great offroad bikes. Weight is about 230lbs, plenty of power, proper knobbies with a 21" front tire, 12" of ground clearance, and 12" of suspension travel with a Ohlins shock and Marzocchi forks.
uumm, WHAT! Ive got a KTM for that kind of stuff
post #43 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm still riding on Tourances (of course), the front 130/80 now has 33,300 miles on it, running in the direction of the arrow, it's cupped but has a lot of miles left. I've been getting 10,000-11,000 on the rears. Here is a link to the old Tourance thread. Tourances

Gary

Today on the Pan American Sur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:07 PM

Here's an older thread comment from a GS rider on tires with some interesting comments/observations.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=157

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #45 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Dammit, wish I could find a 19" V-Strom wheel
post #46 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
Dammit, wish I could find a 19" V-Strom wheel
You can. Just buy new OEM parts.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #47 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
get that 19 on there, then you can go ride wherever you want.

there are some 19's out there, but lots of guys looking. found one already for the new build.
yeah, theres one on e bay right now people, starting bid I think was around $199 just the wheel no rotors, nothing. thats too much for me. Im keeping a watch on it to see what it goes for. The last on I saw went for more than $300.

Donn
post #48 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Donn, they are about $450 for a new oem part.
If you're serious, figure $300 to $350 is probably a pretty good deal, especially if it's straight. Some them are dinged or bent and still fetch a ton. One seller advertised his wheel as only out a quarter inch. Hmmm...I don't really want to start out with a bent rim.

I would do this mod if it could be done for a couple'a hundred bucks plus a tire. But not for a grand.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #49 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Just found this post today from a GS rider that really likes the Scorpion Syncs, good report. Enough to convince me to go that way because of the full size rear tire. The Ulysses guys really like them too. Seems to be a pretty aggressive rider, he's ground his peg feelers off.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=30
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	syncs.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	106034  

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #50 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Dammit Chris, you keep making me change my mind on tires,Ha! lol. Hey, even the shifter on that guy's beemer is ground down. crazy.

Donn
post #51 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Ha. I keep changing my mind too. I'm gonna have to make a decision soon, the stocks are getting pretty squared off, especially after this last trip. It's getting quite noticable and will start flopping over for corners.

I'm pretty much down to the sync vs trail. If the scorp trail came in a 160/60 I would hands down go that way. They are supposedly going to bring out that size next year, we'll see. At least that's what Pirelli customer service told me. I'm figuring I'll probably need new tires almost every year, so I may just do the syncs this time and if the larger rear comes out for the trails then do that next year.

As has been mention previously in this thread, the scorpion trail was designed as an upgrade to the sync, and I imagine Ducati has some pull with Pirelli, maybe not. Maybe they just selected it for the new multistrada as it was introduced. They also are fitted on the new F800GS, and the photos of the new Triumph Tiger 800 have them on it. My understanding is they have a stiffer carcass and is a more durable tire for varied terrain.

The sync is a pretty soft tire, and I guess that's why it works so well on road. There is quite a bit of logic out there amongst riders that these bikes are really road bikes so don't detract from their best quality to be able to ride a dirt road. Any tire will work so pick a good road tire that will do that occasional off pavement trek. Both of these tires excel at this. If Continental would make a front 17 in the Trail Attack that is also purported to be an excellent dual sport tire for big roadies.

BTW, the scorp trail also comes in a 'G' spec and from what I've been able to tell it's a higher speed rating for the F800 and multistrada. Would also be applicable to the Versys if you're an aggressive rider. They run about $10 more on the rear tire.

I consider myself a pretty aggressive rider on road and definitely don't want to sacrifice the superior capabilities the Versys offers. They make a wonderful canyon carver as well as an over the road bike. The syncs are also quite popular with the Tiger owners. They have been said to work just as good as a distanzia off pavement, and quite a bit better on dry pavement.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #52 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM

I looked up the sync and again you have to put a rear on the front, right? By the way I had a 2006 V-Strom 1000 front wheel complete lined up for $250, I just cant afford it right now, I posted the contact for the wheel on the for sale section on this forum. If no one replys to it soon I will remove the post.
post #53 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I looked up the sync and again you have to put a rear on the front, right? By the way I had a 2006 V-Strom 1000 front wheel complete lined up for $250, I just cant afford it right now, I posted the contact for the wheel on the for sale section on this forum. If no one replys to it soon I will remove the post.
The Pirelli Scorpion Sync is available in 120/70-17 front and 160/60-17 rear. They are about $250 shipped for the pair from MC Superstore.

That's a good deal for a vstrom wheel. Does it have the rotors?

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #54 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM

the pictures I got of the wheel was on the bike. I asked for a complete wheel with rotors but that still needs to be verified and should ask for the wheel spacers too. I forgot to ask for those. I wouldn't buy it for $250 if it didn't come with the rotors.

Donn
post #55 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Well, I wrote them from your email in the for sale section and they replied with $350. Then I would have to do the machining work and fit a new tire. Probably getting closer to five or six hundred - just not worth it to me. It's gonna increase the rake which will slow the turn in, just for a different front tire. Naw, will keep what I have.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #56 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM

$350? that's not what they told me. sorry about that, I'm pulling my post on that wheel than. What a bummer!

Donn
post #57 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:26 AM

Can these be for V front off road tyres?

Front 130/80 17 inch:
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5...d-tyres/Dunlop
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.a...ier1url=Tyres&
tier2url=Motocross-and-Off-Road-Tyres&tier3url=Maxxis
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5...Tyres/Metzeler

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #58 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM

I suspect you could make them fit. But I'll bet you would be happier with a tourance or tkc-80 for on road. Your site link for the karoos also carry the conti tkc.
Check the speed ratings if you're going to be doing any hiway running. I'm pretty sure the maxxis is an offroad tire but I could be wrong.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #59 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
$350? that's not what they told me. sorry about that, I'm pulling my post on that wheel than. What a bummer!

Donn
Here is their reply. I suggest no one buy parts from these people. Safaricycle.com, ebay seller and motorcycle dismantler.

donn may have been quoted for the wheel without the rotors... we also have several employees that check on parts requests and set prices items... sometimes items are priced out differently aside from that we dont have to justify anything to you... what someone else was quoted has nothing to do with you... if you dont want the wheel do not buy it. its as simple as that.

Jay
562-435-0900

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #60 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM

I was quoted the $350 price as well, so I elected to pass on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode