Fitting different tires to the V - Page 10 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:11 AM

I haven't heard back from them, but I believe I found out why not. I took the unprecedented step of going out and looking at my tire itself; max load 355kb/783lbs. The website is wrong. I presume they didn't update the website when they switched from bias to radial. Either way, there's the real deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6421.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	106138  
post #183 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat View Post
I haven't heard back from them, but I believe I found out why not. I took the unprecedented step of going out and looking at my tire itself; max load 355kb/783lbs. The website is wrong. I presume they didn't update the website when they switched from bias to radial. Either way, there's the real deal.
- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #184 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 07:10 PM

All hail khoburn. Had I taken enough time to research thoroughly I would not have bought the 170. The fact that he got faulty info is irrelevant; I got lucky. That said, I still lean towards the 170 being a better choice for me than the 150. I am glad that the load rating is what it is instead of what it's advertised. Had it been the 500 odd pounds on the website, I wouldn't have been able to ride with my daughter and that would have been unacceptable.
post #185 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:02 AM

they may want to fix their website as that could affect sales.
post #186 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:32 AM

Quick update. My daughter and I played hookey yesterday and did a 150 mile ride. We hit Skyline Drive, 211, 340 (for the Virginia people) which is a pretty good mix of speed, turns, straights, etc. Tires were dead stable, quiet, and even being new, with two people, saddlebags, trunk, etc. never felt squirrely. Naturally I didn't push too hard in the corners with precious cargo, but neither was I gentle with the bike. So far I have to say I love them. Top speeds were somewhat north of legal, averaged 42mph for the trip. I felt the tires at each stop and they were barely warm, as compared to pretty hot for the old tires after the runs up and down the dragon. Yes not a direct comparison, but high speeds vs high loads. Overall an awesome day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skyline.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	106146  
post #187 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:27 PM

love skyline - miss making trips out there but it takes me a lot longer to get there than it used to.
post #188 of 196 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:13 AM
TEK

Garage
What do you mean five dollars?
I need to raise the fender on my V, can you give details on how you did this.
Thank you

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

post #189 of 196 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:22 AM
TEK

Garage
Front fender raising details wanted please

What do you mean $5, ?
Can you explain please

Quote:
Originally Posted by allriding View Post
Yes, you need to raise the fender with Shinko. But why the reticence in doing this? It's only $5, plus some of your time. The forks won't be affected by this, on my bike the fork travel stops 7/8" from the bottom. Keep in mind that Shinko 705s are getting pretty close to a knobbie diameter wise.

However, a Distanzia SM or Pirreli doesn't require you to raise the front, and you could use whatever you want on rear- either stock size or 150. I'd suggest 150 for better selection/profile. If you go with a 705 on rear and Distanzia SM on front, the rake will be increased, don't know by how much, and doubt that will make much of a difference off pavement. On pavement it should compensate for somewhat slower turning tires.

cheers

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

post #190 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Fitting different tires to the V

work
post #191 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
Ok, good stuff, anybody want to chim in on this. I want to here more on this one. the manufacture of this tire wants you to mount the front in the opposite direction of the rear and there's some good points as to why you should on the ADV site. allriding is running a rear tube type on the front 120/90/17 with no problem with the width of the rim, no tube and seems to be doing fine with it running it in same direction as the rear too.

Donn
if you look closely at any motorcycle tire, where the front and rear have the same tread pattern, will see the tread on the front is orientated in the reverse direction of the rear. This is because you want maximum traction braking with the front wheel but maximum traction with acceleration on the rear.

This means if you are putting a REAR tire on the front wheel you will need to mount it in the opposite direction of the arrow. BTW I would not recommend putting a rear tire on the front wheel as construction and curvature is different in a tire constructed for the rear wheel. Still, probably more astute than mounting a car tire.
post #192 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...This means if you are putting a REAR tire on the front wheel you will need to mount it in the opposite direction of the arrow. BTW I would not recommend putting a rear tire on the front wheel as construction and curvature is different in a tire constructed for the rear wheel. Still, probably more astute than mounting a car tire.
I'm not sure I can agree w/ EITHER of these points: MOST of us running a REAR Tourance 130/80 on the front are running them in the SAME direction as the arrow shows (and I'm pretty sure I have way MORE than 40,000 miles doing this, so I DO recommend this!).

-

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #193 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:58 PM

If you look up pictures of motorcycle tires you will see the tread pattern is always reversed front to back.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
post #194 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
if you look closely at any motorcycle tire, where the front and rear have the same tread pattern, will see the tread on the front is orientated in the reverse direction of the rear. This is because you want maximum traction braking with the front wheel but maximum traction with acceleration on the rear.

This means if you are putting a REAR tire on the front wheel you will need to mount it in the opposite direction of the arrow. BTW I would not recommend putting a rear tire on the front wheel as construction and curvature is different in a tire constructed for the rear wheel. Still, probably more astute than mounting a car tire.
This has been discussed numerous times on other forums (such as VRCC, etc.).

From Avon Motorcycle tires FAQ:

"Can I fit a front tyre on the rear and a rear on the front?

Avon would not normally recommend this fitment. If you do this however, due to the way tyres are manufactured, you should reverse the tyreís direction of rotation if you fit a front tyre on the rear or a rear tyre on the front of your bike. During tyre manufacture, a length of tread rubber is wrapped around the carcass and joined together with an angled bevel type joint. This joint is orientated so that as the tyre rotates, this joint stays shut. As the rear tyre provides drive and the front tyre provides braking, the joint is made one way for the rear tyre and the opposite way for the front. Fitting incorrect tyres could cause potential MOT/insurance issues and may affect the bikes handling capabilities."

Note: I tried on my Valkyrie and nothing bad happened. It went very well.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #195 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:54 AM

Fitting different tires to the V

Good morning all! I plan on using my V as my daily commuter this year, just as soon as the weather will allow. My shop is 50 miles from my house, with about 5 miles of loose gravel road, and the rest highway. I will also be riding a lot of ungroomed trails (all fairly flat, nothing too knarly), in search of the best fishing spots along the river. I definitely want a more aggressive tire and like both the TKC80 and 705. What's the better all around tire? I like the more aggressive looks of the TKC80, and a knob has to be better on the dirt, right? Will the Shinko's do what I want on the trails, and gravel roads? Will the TKC80's provide at least decent life on the e-way?
post #196 of 196 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbSchultz1971 View Post
Good morning all! I plan on using my V as my daily commuter this year, just as soon as the weather will allow. My shop is 50 miles from my house, with about 5 miles of loose gravel road, and the rest highway. I will also be riding a lot of ungroomed trails (all fairly flat, nothing too knarly), in search of the best fishing spots along the river. I definitely want a more aggressive tire and like both the TKC80 and 705. What's the better all around tire? I like the more aggressive looks of the TKC80, and a knob has to be better on the dirt, right? Will the Shinko's do what I want on the trails, and gravel roads? Will the TKC80's provide at least decent life on the e-way?
You should read some reviews before asking a bomb question like that...

a) Flat means puddles means mud requires grip.
b) shinko 705 is not aggressive. Shinko 805 is (and it's the death of tkc80). Check Metzeller karoo3 too, for even longer thread life.
c) tkc80, decent thread life? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!. No. Forget that old overrated tire, forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode