Burnt Stator/ Stator Testing - Page 16 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 310 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:25 AM

So My V burnt up one more stator this morning.. I thought that this was going to be that last one, as I quantified all the Electrical charging system, including both the Stator & the R/R. To Top it off I added a Voltage meter.

I had an hr commute this morning everthing started out normal 13.3 volts before startup, Jump on the interstate grip heaters on it's still indicating 14.4V. I got off an exit early because of traffic, I was intenting on saking around and missing the majority of it, but when I looked down I a saw the dredded blank dash, and I was getting 6.XX volts at my voltage indicator.

Ended up pushing the bike a mile or so to work, a few people stopped and gave me a jump to get the bike further down the road.

I'm fed up with these electrical issues, and until I can get it resolved I'll be De-farkling the bike of all the electrical accessories I added. These Included grip heaters, Turn signal Mirrors, Voltage meter (which will stay), and a trailer wiring harness converter.

What aftermarket R/R Is a better replacement? Any other Tips?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 310 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Onewizard,

Thank you so much for all the helpful insight that you've typed out (even though I'm certain you've typed the same thing over and over again)! I ordered an OEM Stator, it was a good deal on ebay, and I went ahead and ordered one of the polaris Regulators. I'm not totally sure about the triumph wiring, gonna do some searching for that thread and see what I can churn up, I've been so tied up with my job that I haven't had a moment to touch the bike, or start looking into stuff.
post #303 of 310 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Updated Post Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyphus1 View Post
Onewizard,

Thank you so much for all the helpful insight that you've typed out (even though I'm certain you've typed the same thing over and over again)! I ordered an OEM Stator, it was a good deal on ebay, and I went ahead and ordered one of the polaris Regulators. I'm not totally sure about the triumph wiring, gonna do some searching for that thread and see what I can churn up, I've been so tied up with my job that I haven't had a moment to touch the bike, or start looking into stuff.
I updated the above post C/W link to the thread for Triumph harness

post #304 of 310 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:30 PM

You're the Man!

Got a Triumph wire harness comming, going to readup on your installation methods next.

My Fleabay OEM Stator showed up, it looked a bit different than what the photos showed.. one of the windings was completly smashed in, needless to say I have a nice paperweight now, all is good as I was issued a refund.

After re-reading ONEwizards helpful writeup links above, I'll be converting to an RM Stator / polaris regulator!

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully my old girl will be back on the road sooner than later!

Last edited by Gyphus1; 02-21-2017 at 04:36 PM.
post #305 of 310 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

For Sale in Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyphus1 View Post
You're the Man!

Got a Triumph wire harness comming, going to readup on your installation methods next.

My Fleabay OEM Stator showed up, it looked a bit different than what the photos showed.. one of the windings was completly smashed in, needless to say I have a nice paperweight now, all is good as I was issued a refund.

After re-reading ONEwizards helpful writeup links above, I'll be converting to an RM Stator / polaris regulator!

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully my old girl will be back on the road sooner than later!
Not sure if you looked and saw my post in Smiley's for sale, RM stator.
post #306 of 310 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Garage
What are the plug-and-play series R/R options

I have begun reading this thread, but I know that I do not have the time to internalize it all. I have an '08 with just about 30,000 miles on it and I do not want to have it fail due to a bad stator. I would like to put a series R/R on my machine.

Two questions:
1 - Are there any plug-and-play series regulators? By this I mean an R/R that will bolt in and plug in without modification to my Versys, and
2 - What stators are plug-and-play? I see that Ricks sells a stator for the '08 Versys, but I am not sure that it works without modifications to the Versys.

I really would like a quick solution to this problem. I have a lot of faith in my Versys, but I am worried that I will be left stranded by it at some point because of the stator. I do not want to stop using the bike because I am concerned about its reliability.

Thanks for any information.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #307 of 310 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
...I really would like a quick solution to this problem. I have a lot of faith in my Versys, but I am worried that I will be left stranded by it at some point because of the stator. I do not want to stop using the bike because I am concerned about its reliability.

Thanks for any information.
FWIW - The stator in my '08 failed at 68,680 miles, altho' I HAD installed a Polaris R/R at 65,338 miles - there was LOTS of evidence that AT LEAST one wire had 'burned' on the OEM stator - so it was "on its way OUT" prior to the failure.

My OTHER Gen 1 (the '09) had both its stator (to an RM) and its R/R (to a Compufire) changed out, but I can't give you the mileage, as the records are in BC.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #308 of 310 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I think I was quite clear in my PM's sent and in the posts. If someone has a simplified method post away. It is like asking if there is a simpler version to doing the valve shim check, without taking the gas tank and airbox off. In fact there is, drop the engine!
So I guess that your answer to my question is "no". It seems that I cannot get a straight answer to my questions easily. Your PM was not clear with respect to these questions - otherwise I would not have asked them in the forum. I have not had the time to read all 420 posts in the thread to find out if the answer is in there somewhere. In the case of the valve checks, I can open the manual and see all of the steps laid out in front of me. I have not found that regarding stators, and I have been looking around. Perhaps I just cannot find what is obviously in front of me.

I have, in the past, had a great time on this forum, however the tone is definitely changing.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #309 of 310 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Compacted Info Into 1 Thread

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...e-trigger.html

Came up with a third option tonight using a small relay, requiring less work and easier to return to OEM

FYI no more discussion on my part outside of the How To Forum, also do not copy and paste any of my posts from the How To Forum to any other forum on this site.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-19-2017 at 08:48 PM.
post #310 of 310 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode