Some electrical problems - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Small Update / ECU / Fuel Pump, ECU Fuse

Trouble shooting 101
Electrically, if the bike runs, the fuse for the ECU drives the ECU Relay, the ECU relay supplies power to the fuel pump relay and also drives the stick coils.

That is the end of the good news. The MK-1 was a hardwired display, the newer versions like the MK-3 are plug in socket.

All the information I have leads back to a bad frame ground or broken frame ground, since you say you have checked that, the next thing would be to pull the ECU and check the sockets. The ECU has 2 sections, one drives all the components needed to run the bike, stick coils, crank shaft pos. sensor etc., the lower section is the display, F1 indicator, tach,speedometer, etc. Since non of those lower section are working, it points to a bad ground, or you damaged the ECU adding the charger outlet, there is a warning about not working on the bike with the power on, how that relates to your problem is only a possibility that you had a static charge that damaged the ECU, having said that I am still leaning towards a bad ground/ bad connection.

From here on it gets difficult and expensive, it is possible the display is gone/ damaged, also possible the ECU is damaged. How any of this occurred by adding a charging outlet is beyond me, again, you are certain your wiring added is in parallel ??
craxz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Some of the lower section IS working, like F1 light, neutral etc.
Ive seen use of this parallell connected charger in this thread, so it should work, but now Im moving towards me using an inapropriate charger, I will lift the battery and check.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

I noticed a red/black striped wire not connected to the battery, I thought that one was connected to another charger quick connector (one was left by the previous owner) but maybe this is the grounding for the instrument cluster...
Quick test to be done this evening

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Red Black , I doubt that is a ground, there is a wire near the frame ground and I think that is the test wire for error codes.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Nope, this wasnt the cause. Have to dig deeper...
onewizard likes this.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Hi

Where do I find the ECU?
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Ive the cluster out and up on my workbench, nothing seems to have been smoked or short curcuit... Mystery continues.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Did the first test in the service manual, according to that the cluster needs to be exchanged...
Or is it possible to send somewhere and get it repaired?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-30_13-28-42.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	110738   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-30_13-29-16.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	110746  
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know if its possible to adjust mileage in case I have to buy a new cluster?
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Can this be a result of a stator problem, maybe?
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Can there be any micro fuses installed in the instrument cluster itself?
post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Digging Deep/ Beyond Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali68 View Post
Did the first test in the service manual, according to that the cluster needs to be exchanged...
Or is it possible to send somewhere and get it repaired?
First thing today, that is one really short and indecisive test, 3 seconds on, then off, not much time. So the circuit has a set ( display segments) and a reset 3 seconds later ( clear segments), either function or not all segments show, then unit is toast. The biggest problem I am having with this, isn't what appears to be the failure of major components, but what caused it?? There are several cautionary notations in the manual about disconnecting with the power on could cause ******. Adding that charger circuit shouldn't have caused this, unless it was in series with the battery, from what you are doing, I can't see anyway you would have done this, however I have done somewhat stupid things like that, I am partially dyslectic .
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Ecu

Quote:
Hi

Where do I find the ECU?
Under the seat, look below the latch for the seat, massive amount of wires on the foot brake side going into it. And it is no fun getting out.
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Magic Smoke Escaped

Quote:
Can there be any micro fuses installed in the instrument cluster itself?
As in the title, that cluster is all surface mount, as to the mileage, I think that is from the ECU.Can you post what happens when following the test in the manual, and also a close up shot of the cluster board. Generally if there was a micro fuse, downstream devices failed and caused the fuse to blow, that way protecting the wiring and upstream devices connected, such as the ECU. What does that mean?? Generally when a board failure occurs , many components are affected, surface mount was never meant to be repaired, between labour , parts adn a warranty, not cost effective. However, the cluster may have it's own voltage regulator and that may be the only thing damaged. As I said earlier , need more info of what you found etc.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Stator No

Quote:
Can this be a result of a stator problem, maybe?
As the title says.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Hi

I connected a CTEK charger quick connector to my battery, so I can charge the battery without having to unplug the battery, but after first charge the instrument panel and tacho went dead.
Tacho stays at zero, there is light on the instrument panel, but no symbols what so ever. Any clues to what causes this and how to fix it?

Regards,

Kari
Double check you got the polarity right on the connection harness, sometimes the charge plug in can reverse this from what you think it is. It does this with my charger. Check with a voltmeter, not just the color code of the wire, which can sometimes be wrong. If the polarity was wrong, you may have destroyed the battery trying to charge it.

Disconnect the charger cable from the battery and connect the charger to it and turn the charger on. Measure the voltage at the wires that normally attach to the battery, with them unconnected from the battery. You will be measuring the voltage coming from the charger. The meter should read either -13.5 volts (reversed) or +13.5 volts (correct).

If your battery does not read 13v or more unloaded, at rest, it is either uncharged or toast - if it was recently charged. A good battery should be able to charge to 13v or more.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-30-2016 at 10:55 AM.
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I noticed a red/black striped wire not connected to the battery, I thought that one was connected to another charger quick connector (one was left by the previous owner) but maybe this is the grounding for the instrument cluster...
Quick test to be done this evening
If the red (actually orange) wire W/black stripe has a bullet connector on the end, It is the self diagnosis terminal. It is used to retrieve diagnostic codes.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Continue investigation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
As in the title, that cluster is all surface mount, as to the mileage, I think that is from the ECU.Can you post what happens when following the test in the manual, and also a close up shot of the cluster board. Generally if there was a micro fuse, downstream devices failed and caused the fuse to blow, that way protecting the wiring and upstream devices connected, such as the ECU. What does that mean?? Generally when a board failure occurs , many components are affected, surface mount was never meant to be repaired, between labour , parts adn a warranty, not cost effective. However, the cluster may have it's own voltage regulator and that may be the only thing damaged. As I said earlier , need more info of what you found etc.

Ive tried to separate the curcuit board from the front panel, but I cant open it up and check the front side of the curcuit board. There are two screws and a plastic clip, but the curcuit board doesnt come apart even after unscrewing and flipping the clip.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Does the ER6 instrument fit? Or are there aftermarket instruments to buy?
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Kawasaki Versys KLE650 KLE 650 Meter Instruments Gauge
There is another member on the forum parting out a 2009, not sure if it is compatible with your bike, I sent a PM to him with your user name.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-02-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
charger problem, ctek, no tacho, panel dead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode