Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Diagnostics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyerion View Post
Got my Versys back from the shop yesterday. Altogether they spent 6 hours diagnosing the problem with the help of their in-house Kawi Techs. After checking and rechecking just about every component of the electrical and fuel systems (between the 2 shops it went to), it boiled down to a faulty vehicle down sensor (which we looked at before, but I had no way of testing). So it is up and running perfectly again!

Also, I'm well aware of how awful ethanol is for systems not made for it. I only used the standard premium fuel =)
That is really funny, if you read my first post ( post#2 of this thread), second sentence, I call it the tip over switch. There is a test for that in the manual, and it requires a good digital meter.

Thanks for Posting, I am thinking how I could save this in the How To Forum, as there are some really good tests and comments, and a considerable amount of time spent by all that were involved here. I might start with a trouble shooting How To. Some one have suggestions for a title that reflects on this thread. Engine Not Firing is good, just open to other ideas.

For those wanting to know, what I do is produce a title that would be easily found in your Service manual alphabetically ,put that in the How To Forum, then copy all the pertinent posts in this thread to it, only downfall is all posters in this thread will get a notification of a active topic in the How To when I do it, no worries mate! If it is a very active thread and further discussion may come along, I provide a link in the How To Forum thread at the end. This way if someone wants to comment in July 2017, it is easily found an d no merging or duplication occurs.

weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Yeah! Funny how it came full-circle like that.

I remember looking at the test for the VDS. Checking the connector for the supply voltage was simple, but checking the output voltage didn't make much sense with the tool they suggested. The manual suggests using a simple needle adapter set to check the terminals (which I have) while the VDS is connected, but this doesn't make much sense since the needle adapter set cannot reach those terminals if it is connected. That is where I got stuck and just decided to put it back on.

That sounds like a solid idea!
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

May make a How To Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyerion View Post
Yeah! Funny how it came full-circle like that.

I remember looking at the test for the VDS. Checking the connector for the supply voltage was simple, but checking the output voltage didn't make much sense with the tool they suggested. The manual suggests using a simple needle adapter set to check the terminals (which I have) while the VDS is connected, but this doesn't make much sense since the needle adapter set cannot reach those terminals if it is connected. That is where I got stuck and just decided to put it back on.

That sounds like a solid idea!
I am in the process of some major wiring, I purchased a Innovv K1 camera system back in December, I just received some led strip lights and intend to have running and signal on both barkbusters. Part of the Valve Shim job was to document a better / easier method, in the process of putting things back I discovered some serious wiring harness problems, today I found another one , just above the main shock, something you wouldn't normally see, however I have the bike strapped down on the lift and am using ratchet tie downs, I have about 200LB's downward force on the rear. I noticed the top squared edge against the wire harness, FYI , I have the lowering link. The wire harness at this point is held in place with a single wire tie that pivots out of a hole on the inside of the frame , it is conceivable that the shock without the lowering link could hit this harness and wear through . I installed a 100LB wire tie here,and have about a 1/4 inch gap now, I also found a second wire tie just past the seat bracket towards the rear of the bike that was pushing the harness down towards the shock. I removed that wire tie and will include that in my report.

Short story, I am up to 10 of the 100 LB wire ties now, dealing with various points of the main wire harness, my opinion POS, I would be ashamed to let something like this leave my hands/ shop. Kawasaki Take Note I would suggest you make a new wire harness jig, and add about 5% more wire .

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:33 PM

Bike randomly died on me today at the tail end of a major trip - I was very lucky.

I laid the bike on it's side to do some road maintenance (Center stands should be mandatory on street bikes) and rode it home 350 miles without problems, until I reached 1 mile from my destination.

Bike was running fine, randomly started bogging, and then the idle decreased slowly until it died. Now it won't turn over. It isn't R/r related as I checked with a digital multimeter and power is good, even when cranking. Just no fire.

Not airway blockage, TB's are clean, no codes, will likely replace this stupid Kawasaki Tip Over Sensor soon.

Edit3: Likely a fuel pump failure. No prime noises on key-on ignition-on. Will test for battery voltage at fuel pump wire tomorrow before throwing parts at the bike. I'm not sure I want to see the price on a brand new fuel pump.

Last edited by Urbanengineer; 03-06-2017 at 02:13 AM.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 AM

It was a fuel pump failure. Replaced with a Kemso replacement pump for $30 from eBay and it came with one new rubber gasket. I had to re-use the upper gasket on the pump. Works like a dream now, excited to test my fuel mileage now.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

More than your share of Problems

The title says it, thanks for posting, some very unusual events, not your everyday problems, more of what a typical day would be for me fixing inverters. A common explanation would go like this, yup been running for a couple weeks, would give a hard trip at 200 KW ( like a 10 gauge shotgun) every other day, then yesterday it tripped every time over 100 KW, today there was a even louder bang and smoke poured out the top, and there was a big bright flash. My response; so why didn't you call two weeks ago, oh , your busy, well it ain't running at all now, Thanks, shouldn't take me more than a couple days, two weeks ago it might have been a couple hour fix, oh well pay me now or pay me later, this is one of em later ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode