Here is what the shop has found thus far,
1) All individual systems required for fire are functional (spark, fuel pump, injectors, etc.)
2) Purged the lines and it started up
3) Ran the Versys for about 3-4 miles and brought it back to the shop (at this point they called me to let me know they got it running, but wanted to do more tests to be sure)
4) Later that afternoon, Versys gave them our familiar "starts and cuts off after a few seconds" act
5) Tested it again (same afternoon), starts and runs as normal
6) Tested it the following morning, same cut-off act as before
7) They believe that the cut-offs are due to the bike starting and running briefly on solely the fuel that is in the line, then it wont start again until the fuel pump is triggered
8) They hooked it up to a diagnostic computer, and the ECU is not throwing any codes, nor does it have any past codes stored.
- After looking at it a bit more and some tests they believe that the fuel pump, even though it does its normal key-on routine, is not always running as it should during starting operations.
- They do not believe that the fuel pump is bad, but rather it is receiving bad signals (aka malfunctioning ECU)
- They are now working on contacting their mechanic contacts from Kawasaki to get their input, as well as contacting their sister dealers to see if any of them have a 2010 - 2014 Versys available that they can borrow an ECU from to confirm or eliminate that problem.
- I have found another store (that is not related to the one my Versys is at) that is selling a 2014 Versys, so I may stop by this weekend and see if I can convince them to let me borrow their ECU