why not belt drive? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

why not belt drive?

Is there an advantage to chain drive over belt? I can imagine if you need every last ounce of HP, but if I rode like that. I'd probably have a Gixxer or Ninja. So why didn't the mothership design the Versys with belt drive?
2nd question: Does anyone know of a conversion kit?

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
Is there an advantage to chain drive over belt?...
Yes. Belts require you to remove the swingarm to change them, as well as, BECAUSE of the 'intrinsic' lack of flexibility (going around a "sprocket") they have, BOTH "sprocket-ends" MUST have larger diameters, so BIGGER...!

Quote:
... can imagine if you need every last ounce of HP, but if I rode like that. I'd probably have a Gixxer or Ninja. So why didn't the mothership design the Versys with belt drive?...
See answer above, BUT belts take a LOT more HP to use!

Quote:
...2nd question: Does anyone know of a conversion kit?
Nope - not THIS 'cowboy'....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Thx Eddie. Good answers and now I am not interested in converting.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Back in the 80's I had a buddy who was number one in class A motocross (had the no. 1 plate!). After his dirt days, he got a Kawasaki 440 LTD. His brother bought an XS 11 Special, so he knew he had a severely underpowered bike. The 440 had a belt drive and my buddy could wheelie on that sucker for about a mile. Obviously, doing wheelies is far more technique than power, I know that (because I was also fairly good at wheelying my RD400 and RD 350's back then), but ever since those days and since that bike had belt drive, I always had a good impression of belt drive.
Why my buddy picked that bike is still a huge question. He coulda bought an Interceptor!

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Yes. Belts require you to remove the swingarm to change them

But, by the time the belt needs replacing, your probably pulling the swingarm for the second time to lube the bearings.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 PM

The chain is looped into the swingarm, because of rear suspension design... You'd have to cut the swingarm to install or remove a belt.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
But, by the time the belt needs replacing, your probably pulling the swingarm for the second time to lube the bearings.
You'd simply replace the belt and loaded swingarm as an assembly.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Is there an advantage to chain drive over belt? I can imagine if you need every last ounce of HP, but if I rode like that. I'd probably have a Gixxer or Ninja. So why didn't the mothership design the Versys with belt drive?
2nd question: Does anyone know of a conversion kit?
Had Belt on My Uly, 27,000 miles without issue that included gravel, fireroads, mild off-road on TKC's. It's quiet, no slack, and nearly zero Maintenance... and while Mine never broke, it does occasionally happen. I always carried a spare.. I could swap out a belt if needed in about the same time it takes to adjust the chain in the Versys. Make no Mistake a Chain Should be stronger, and handle more abusive situations better, but for the majority of folks, they don't see anything but pavement and dirt roads, Belt is a non issue for me.. and They dont all require swingarm removal.

Last edited by ronheater70; 10-18-2016 at 08:22 AM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Yes. Belts require you to remove the swingarm to change them, as well as, BECAUSE of the 'intrinsic' lack of flexibility (going around a "sprocket") they have, BOTH "sprocket-ends" MUST have larger diameters, so BIGGER...!

See answer above, BUT belts take a LOT more HP to use!

Nope - not THIS 'cowboy'....

Belt on my uly required removing the right rear foot peg assembly, removing the tensioner and loosen rear axle.. no swingarm removal.. Took about 15 minutes.

Last edited by ronheater70; 10-18-2016 at 01:00 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

BTW - invader's right that the belt would NOT work because it'd have to "loop" thru the swingarm. Additionally - there's NOT enough room where the counter-shaft sprocket is, to put anything much larger in there.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 05:33 PM

you can carry a spare chain and tool to change it on the road side by yourself if needed (assuming a long trip).

(not an original riveted which required grinding, but the subsequent ones with riveted master link (copper tips) (or clipstyle master link obviously) can be broken).

I would rather have a shaft drive than a belt... and would still miss having a chain.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Years ago ('09) on a ride to AK on my '04 KLR650, seeing how many miles I could get on the OEM chain using ONLY WD40 for lube, I was carrying a chain AND my chain tool, and removed the old chain, then installed the new chain w/ RIVETED master beside our tents in Whitehorse, YT. Took about an hour (DIRTY job!!!).

Ed

..)

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 01:11 PM

Depends on the design.

Victory motorcycles may have a belt change without removing the swing arm.

Probably others.

Getting a rock into a belt can be a very bad thing. Not sure how often this would happen - but I certainly would want a chain or maybe shaft ... if I were needing to traverse a lot of gravel roads

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Depends on the design.

Victory motorcycles may have a belt change without removing the swing arm.

Probably others.

Getting a rock into a belt can be a very bad thing. Not sure how often this would happen - but I certainly would want a chain or maybe shaft ... if I were needing to traverse a lot of gravel roads
You don't get it... Even if you removed the swingarm, you can't install the belt in it without cutting the swingarm.

A rock in a chain is worse than a rock in a belt.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 06:11 PM

I get it.

Just saying that not all bikes require the swingarm removal for belt replacement.

If ya wanted to convert a Versys to belt drive as it is now, then yes the swingarm would need to be removed.

I disagree about the idea of a rock being worse on a chain than a belt.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 06:56 PM

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I get it.

Just saying that not all bikes require the swingarm removal for belt replacement.

If ya wanted to convert a Versys to belt drive as it is now, then yes the swingarm would need to be removed.

No you don't get it at all. The swingarm does not need to be removed. It needs to be cut to install or remove a belt. Look at how your chain is looped into the swingarm.

A belt can swallow a rock much better than a chain.

Last edited by invader; 10-19-2016 at 08:31 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
I get it.

Go out, look at the V swingarm and figure that you have to pass a close loop belt and you will find out that it cannot be done, on the V at least

I had this discussion, and per Invader advice, I got out and understood why it cannot be done on the V

A chain can be opened and pass true a part of the swingarm, not a belt

As far as a rock on a chain VS a belt, the belt as flexibility, not the chain
The rock will be crush between the steel of the chain and the steel of the sprocket, so chance of one "giving" some space for the rock to pass true without damage is none
On the other end, the belt will "give" a little and not damage everything
Now I'm not talking of a rock the size of a fist, but a small thing of reasonable size

LOP
invader likes this.

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 11-29-2016 at 12:08 PM. Reason: missing words = "is none"
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:17 PM

Garage
I have a friend who owns a Hardley (yes, I know) with a belt drive. When his belt broke (yes it can happen) it was a real nightmare to change, and not cheap to buy either. He swears that his next bike will have either a chain or a shaft drive.

Shafts are nice in terms of maintenance but add a lot of weight to the bike.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I have a friend who owns a Hardley (yes, I know) with a belt drive. When his belt broke (yes it can happen) it was a real nightmare to change, and not cheap to buy either. He swears that his next bike will have either a chain or a shaft drive.

Shafts are nice in terms of maintenance but add a lot of weight to the bike.
Nothing is ever cheap for Harley's !

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode