Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Lubrication after riding in rain

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  chatmaurice 
#1 ·
I've been reading through the Service Manual for my '15 Versys 650, and I came to page 2-62, which states:

NOTE: Whenever the vehicle has been operated under wet or rainy conditions, or especially after using a high-pressure water spray, perform the general lubrication.

Pivots: Lubricate with grease.
Brake lever
Brake pedal
Clutch lever
Rear master cylinder push rod joint pin

Clutch inner cable upper and lower ends
Throttle inner cable upper and lower ends

Cables: Lubricate with rust inhibitor.
Clutch cable
Throttle cable

Do you guys really go through this procedure every time you ride in the rain? I re-lubed my chain after my ride in the rain, but hadn't heard about all these other things.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you travel by motorcycle you are going to ride in the rain. It is a good idea to get good waterproof gear and go ride in the rain on purpose close to where you live. It is much better to sort out any issues with gear, handling, vision, etc.... while close to home than 1500 miles away.

You have to learn to trust your tires. You only give up about 20% of traction or less with wet tires. Modern tires like Michelin PR series have quite a bit of silica to give great wet traction. Stay away from painted road surfaces and metal man hole covers, grates, etc.

As for lubrication. I just try to do it fairly regularly.......not after a ride in the rain.
Mike

#7 ·
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I kind of had an epiphany about this today, I need to keep in mind I'm reading the service manual, not the owner's manual. The shop wouldn't have the bike after every rainy ride, they'd have it once every 4-6 months.

#9 ·
I agree. On our Alaska ride (17 wet days out of 20) we lubed every 600 to 700 kms and did that before we finished the ride for the day so that (a) we did it on a hot chain & (b) it was well worked in before we stopped for the day.

Reactions: zzzoren
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.