Where is the master link on oem chain on 2013 V 650 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
The factory chain might have been made endless (no master link) by chain manufacturer especially for assembly line production - no chain tools on assembly line needed and no weak link the chain. (a master link is considered the weakest link in the chain)
Endless chain means they just loop it over the rear swing arm before attaching swing arm to bike.
On my V, my chain goes through a triangular opening in the swing arm. The only way that an endless loop chain could be installed is if the swing arm was assembled and welded around the chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
On my V, my chain goes through a triangular opening in the swing arm. The only way that an endless loop chain could be installed is if the swing arm was assembled and welded around the chain.
Correct. I have never seen any bike where you didn't have to break/connect a chain. They all "weave" through the swingarm. At least every bike I've ever owned, and that's been more than a few from various manufacturers.

Giggitt meant they can do it at assembly, before attaching the swingarm, that was my understanding of his post. I'd rather break/rivet a chain than remove the swingarm. LOL
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Smooth now with the new DID chain...

I finally finished the chain swap with the clip... had to check a few times to make sure that the clip was installed the right way. I left the original sprockets... will change them early next year perhaps.

I cleaned the front sprocket "housing" because of all the muck in there from the lubricant, I guess. It revealed what might be the cause of the jerking motion, the links of the old chain was rubbing against it. there were 2 scratch lines on it. Anyway, thanks to the rotary tool from HF, the chain rivetting tool, the motion pro chain alignment tool, all worked well. She runs like new now, smooth and happy at high speeds.

Thanks to all who gave feedback and tips. What a great forum!!!!

Ride safely.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:59 AM

Garage
Great it all worked out! Now you can notch up 'Chain Replacement' as another bike maintenance skill accomplished!

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode