Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

How to judge sprocket wear

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Hey all.

I just bought a 2008 Versys 650, almost 38,000 KM on it. I was told the chain and sprocket was replaced last year, but I don't actually know how many miles are on it, or if that is even true.

It looks like the chain/sprocket could go for a good cleaning, but I don't actually know what to look for when deciding if its time to replace the rear sprocket, besides bent, missing or broken teeth.

Here's a couple pictures.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz-3HOeFn-u2QjNyWmlUTlR3d0E&usp=sharing

#2 ·
get a picture of the front sprocket, from what I see, the rear looks fine

#3 ·
I agree w/ onewizard.

Here's a pic of a rear sprocket at aprox. 56,000 miles, against a new one. Note that the 'tips' of the teeth (as shown on your pics) are NOT visible here, on the used one. The chain had worn the sprocket DOWN so it was lower.

#4 ·
Thanks Guys!

I'll get a picture of the front sprocket when I get back home (traveling for work), although I don't know if the front sprocket was ever changed.

Planning on doing my first chain cleaning/maintenance here in a couple weeks, just need to buy the tools/lube/grease.

#6 ·
I'd suggest you order/ buy another front sprocket (the ones w/out the rubber damper are just as good...), and have it on hand to replace WHEN it becomes necessary. The nut holding it ON can be a 'bear' to remove - check for threads on removing it.

The front sprocket wears at twice the rate of the rear due to fewer teeth and thus more loading on each tooth

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#12 ·
front sprocket bolt size???

I am about to change the chain, front and rear sprockets. Can someone who has changed their front sprocket tell me what size "mm" I need to remove it and how much torque should be applied in the re-install? I know what I need for the rear as I have removed the rear wheel before.

Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.