modifying Gen 3 handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

modifying Gen 3 handguards

I used Zeta XC handguards on my Gen 1 Vs, and REALLY liked how easy they were to remove the plastic covers to allow MORE wind onto my hands when it gets hot - they mount from the front.

My '15 guards give good protection, BUT they are difficult to remove the plastic covers from, because they are mounted from the REAR, three Philips screws per side going thru the aluminum portion INTO the plastic, and you need to move the guards quite a bit to access those screws, so I decided to modify mine.

The holes thru the aluminim 'bar' are 15/64" (5.9mm), so the nearest metric size that would give enough "meat" to cut threads looked like 8mm, 1.25 pitch, and that requires drilling the holes to 17/64", then running the 8mm 1.25 tap thru to cut the threads. I started on just ONE hole, in case my idea wouldn't work.

It DID, so I did the rest of the holes, aluminum drilled, then tapped...

then looked at how to drill thru the plastic cover so it was concentric w/ the now-tapped aluminum holes (the end one drilled in this pic),

then attached w/ some 8mm bolts I had in the bolt-bins

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-12-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I was happy w/ my progress, so measured-up to see what size of 'button-head' socket bolts would look best, deciding that the 8mm 1.25 x 15mm WOULD, so went to the bolt store where I got six 8mm x 16mm ones.

Brought them home, stuck them thru a piece of card-board and 'rattle-canned' then gloss black, and once dry, removed the long bolts replacing w/ the 8mm x 16mm ones, and here's how they look.

NOW they're EASILY removed or re-installed!
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 05:27 AM

I like the mod until I saw those big gold colored bolts! Yikes. Much much better with the black button heads for sure. Why do you need to remove the guards so often?

Versatile Versys

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Bark Buster Storm

Glad I got the Bark Busters as only two JIS screws to remove, and off they come, plus they cover more area.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
I like the mod until I saw those big gold colored bolts! Yikes. Much much better with the black button heads for sure. Why do you need to remove the guards so often?
I keep the plastic pieces ON for cold temps, or LONG rides, like up to Alaska (for the 'odd' rainy days), for the hand protection.

When it's OTHERWISE (hot!) they're on my pegboard and my hands are HAPPY w/ the airflow across them....

-

Ed

..)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I keep the plastic pieces ON for cold temps, or LONG rides, like up to Alaska (for the 'odd' rainy days), for the hand protection.

When it's OTHERWISE (hot!) they're on my pegboard and my hands are HAPPY w/ the airflow across them....

-
I re read your first post after I asked my question. Makes sense. Much better with black bolts. In fact I would have probably never even noticed the mod if I saw your bike in person. But the gold bolts would drag my eyes right to them. Yikes. Nice job.

Versatile Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode