Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

changing Gen 3 shock to an R1...

6K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an R1 shock on my '08 in AZ, and HAD one on the GREEN HORNET (which died last summer), but re-installed the OEM shock before the insurance company got the '09, keeping the R1 shock, and I wanted it on my GREEN HORNET TOO even tho' the NEW shock is PDG....

Last year I TRIED to replace the stocker, but didn't want to cut off the frame bracket that the remote adjuster attaches to at THAT time, so I put it back to stock, even tho' that involved MOST of two days in the garage-shop!

I decided to get back in there, cut-off the offending piece, and mount my R1 shock, so Wednesday I put the bike on stands and started removing stuff (all BECAUSE Kawasaki has wrapped the hydraulic line between the remote adjuster and shock around the frame, necessitating pretty much stripping MOST stuff off it.

I posted up about this last year so I won't duplicate the posts, but start w/ this pic of the shock FINALLY close to where it can be removed.

This is the piece you need to cut-off as it will 'foul' the reservoir on the shock ALMOST immediately when it compresses.

Here's a view looking directly AT the piece from the right side of the V.

There's the main wiring harness running just above this, so you'll need to be very vigilant at holding it out of harms-way when cutting (I used two different air cut-offs for this job), and here's a view from above of the first cut,

and here's a view of the second (horizontal) cut.

There's NOT a lot of room in there, so I got the cuts to where I could move the piece back-and-forth till it broke loose, dressed the sharp edges w/ a file, then added some Tremclad paint to the bare metal.

To support the bike while removing the shock I used this piece I made from some scrap lumber to 'cradle' the muffler

and used it on top of my large car-jack like this (pics from working on my Gen 1 V)

and w/ the rear supported on a stand, it ONLY needs a SLIGHT lift to un-load the shock bolts, and easily remove the shock (AFTER untangling that hydraulic line I mentioned earlier). THUS, after spending HOURS getting to this point, now replacing shocks is a 30 minute job, MOST of which is setting-up various supports/ jacks....

Here's a pic of the R1 shock installed - NOW all I needed to do was to replace all the stuff I'd HAD to remove to get in there, another 5 or 6 hours!

And here's a pic taken 5 or 6 hours later....

See less See more
#2 ·
You probably noticed that a trim-piece is missing above the shock. That piece has to be trimmed so that the R1 reservoir doesn't contact it when compressed, and I wanted to ride it right away, so I'll trim later...!

Would I recommend doing this mod...?

I didn't keep a time-line, but, start-to-finish I figure was probably 10 hours.:surprise:

The R1 shock is DEFINITELY an improvement over stock, but IF you asked me to do it for you, here's MY demands:
1. bring it to my shop here in Kelowna;
2. have your R1 (or other aftermarket...) shock ready (PROPER bushings, etc); and
3. bring $1,000 cash!!!
Turn-around time two days.

Now that I've done it, IF I ever need to replace my shock - I WILL NOT replace that stock one, UNLESS I get another hydraulic-line on it so it does NOT need to be wrapped around frame-tubes, etc...! It will be aftermarket ONLY!

:rolleyes:

#3 ·
You probably noticed that a trim-piece is missing above the shock. That piece has to be trimmed so that the R1 reservoir doesn't contact it when compressed, and I wanted to ride it right away, so I'll trim later...!

Would I recommend doing this mod...?

I didn't keep a time-line, but, start-to-finish I figure was probably 10 hours.:surprise:

The R1 shock is DEFINITELY an improvement over stock, but IF you asked me to do it for you, here's MY demands:
1. bring it to my shop here in Kelowna;
2. have your R1 (or other aftermarket...) shock ready (PROPER bushings, etc); and
3. bring $1,000 cash!!!
Turn-around time two days.

Now that I've done it, IF I ever need to replace my shock - I WILL NOT replace that stock one, UNLESS I get another hydraulic-line on it so it does NOT need to be wrapped around frame-tubes, etc...! It will be aftermarket ONLY!

:rolleyes:
Is that USD or Canadian Tire money??

#6 ·
Mr. Fasteddie,

I have an '08 V, and was thinking about putting on a R1 Shock. Do you know of anyone doing this, but with a shorter spring, so that the bike would be lower by about an inch or so (without the use of a lowering link)?

I'm not real enthused about how my lowering link makes the shock "out of line" from the swing arm and frame. It looks a bit like a Picasso painting.

Thanks!

Dave

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
No it doesn't leak UNLESS you remove it, or CUT it. I loosened my hydraulic line (which only OOZED fluid) the FIRST time I tried the install shortly after getting my '15, and then put everything back to stock till I did it PROPERLY this season, so it doesn't APPEAR to be under any great pressure.

You'll need to remove the side plastic ABOVE the shock to access the bracket where the remote adjuster attaches to the frame, then grind or cut the bracket off - be VERY CAREFUL NOT TO CUT THE WIRING HARNESS which is quite close. Look for the wire loom in the top center of this pic, above and right of the bracket:

and just right of the yellow pen-end, below the frame tube.

AND, of course, this is how it looks NOW...!

#12 · (Edited)
No it doesn't leak UNLESS you remove it, or CUT it. I loosened my hydraulic line (which only OOZED fluid) the FIRST time I tried the install shortly after getting my '15, and then put everything back to stock till I did it PROPERLY this season, so it doesn't APPEAR to be under any great pressure.
That's good. The service manual shows 232 PSI. I noticed this morning that the hydraulic line seems to be bolterd onto the adjuster. I'll loosen it slowly and see what happens.

You'll need to remove the side plastic ABOVE the shock to access the bracket where the remote adjuster attaches to the frame, then grind or cut the bracket off - be VERY CAREFUL NOT TO CUT THE WIRING HARNESS which is quite close. Look for the wire loom in the top center of this pic, above and right of the bracket:

and just right of the yellow pen-end, below the frame tube.
I hear you. There's lots of wiring and tubing in that area.

AND, of course, this is how it looks NOW...!
Looks good! On a scale of 1 to 10, if the OEM shock was a 4, what score would you attribute to your R1 shock?

Note: Did you replace the front fork oil with ATF yet? I know that you did this on your previous Versys but am not sure about this one.

I too have been using ATF with most of my previous bikes and will do the same on my Versys (this winter). I will need to fabricate a rod guide case wrench to replace the OEM 57001-1744 tool. Di you make one yet? This guy had a good idea.

Thank you! :)

#14 ·
from quexpress: "Looks good! On a scale of 1 to 10, if the OEM shock was a 4, what score would you attribute to your R1 shock?

Note: Did you replace the front fork oil with ATF yet? I know that you did this on your previous Versys but am not sure about this one.

I too have been using ATF with most of my previous bikes and will do the same on my Versys (this winter). I will need to fabricate a rod guide case wrench to replace the OEM 57001-1744 tool. Di you make one yet? This guy had a good idea.

Thank you!"

The R1 shock is WAY-Y-Y better than the stocker, but give it a number...? Probably an 8 (keeping higher for Ohlins...).

Yes on the ATF. When Kawi replaced my fork seals under warranty, I supplied the ATF for filling them. Another FWIW - I added "Fork Skins" yesterday, hopefully to protect the seals....

#17 ·
As shown on page 13-14 of the service manual, to change the oil in the left front fork, the rod guide case must be removed from the inner fork tube with Kawasaki tool 57001-1744. This tool costs over $150.00 US.

I'll clone this guy's idea:

#16 ·
Yes on the ATF. When Kawi replaced my fork seals under warranty, I supplied the ATF for filling them. Another FWIW - I added "Fork Skins" yesterday, hopefully to protect the seals....
I've never used them but they certainly look like they would help. :thumb:

#21 ·
Glad you found my thread useful! Have you ridden it now w/ the R1 shock? BIG improvement...?

BTW - went for a bit of a ride on dirt "two-track" the other day, carrying a passenger - probably about 125# geared up. I was riding quite gently, NEVER noticed any "large" bumps, but this AM before going for a ride, I noticed that my home-made "tail-tidy" AIN'T (tidy) anymore...! Here's a BEFORE pic:

plus two AFTER pics:

All I can think, is that somehow I compressed the rear suspension enough going thru a pot-hole that a knob on the tire caught the 'tail-tidy' and ripped it off....

:thumbdown: - :thumbdown:

#22 ·
Glad you found my thread useful! Have you ridden it now w/ the R1 shock? BIG improvement...?
Both of your R1 shock threads have been VERY useful. I have not ridden much with it yet but it seems to be way more compliant! The ride feels smoother. :clap:

BTW - went for a bit of a ride on dirt "two-track" the other day, carrying a passenger - probably about 125# geared up. I was riding quite gently, NEVER noticed any "large" bumps, but this AM before going for a ride, I noticed that my home-made "tail-tidy" AIN'T (tidy) anymore...! Here's a BEFORE pic:

plus two AFTER pics:

All I can think, is that somehow I compressed the rear suspension enough going thru a pot-hole that a knob on the tire caught the 'tail-tidy' and ripped it off....
Ouch!!! :eek: That's not a good surprise.

This post has been deleted
#23 · (Edited)
i don't think there is an interference issue with the tire and fender, but there can be with the fender liner, especially if the preload is not adjusted correctly. even with the preload set, there's more travel than available space. i've broken a couple of these...
I was not aware of that issue but did not like to see the shock reservoir touch a portion of the 2015 frame if/when it bottomed out.

I therefore decided to add more rubber stoppers to the R1 shock.

This is the bottomed out R1 shock with added rubber stoppers.

It does not touch the frame anymore. Hopefully it will also keep the rear wheel from touching the fender liner. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.