Backrest advice anyone? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Backrest advice anyone?

Looking for a low backrest that I can attach to the stock rack. Something discrete that will help my wife to feel like she's not going to slide off the back. I'm probably going to wind up building one myself. Can't find anything on internet.

Versatile Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

You can add some fairly inexpensive trunks that have an 'add-on' backrest available.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly

My thought exactly.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 05:58 PM

Garage
I agree with the others. Small trunk, and if she wears a riding jacket with CE approved back armor she may not need an additional pad on the trunk.
twowheels likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 06:12 PM

Garage
IMG_0010 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 06:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive got a cheap $20 trunk box and it has a back rest and my roommate likes it i also have the SWmotech rear rack

Trunkbox and touring windscreen

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 04-30-2016 at 06:24 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

This is my mock up for a shorty back rest. It will simply zip tie to the rack with heavy duty releasable zips. The round thing on the back is just a weight to hold in place for photo op. It will be made from thin metal and I will weld it all together. It will have thin rubber matting under it to prevent marring of the flat rack plastic. I'll make the pad as well. When I'm finished I'll post pics of completed project. This is to help keep the wife feeling like she won't slide off the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5222.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	90386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5223.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	90394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5224.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	90402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5226.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	90410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5225.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	90418  

Versatile Versys
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Garage
I found this thread from 6 years ago about backrests, I am looking for one that will fit a '15 650.

Passenger back rest
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

cool thanks

Versatile Versys
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM

Glenno are you still looking for a backrest?, i make them for other bikes and have been working on one for the 1000 Versys, i have 2 freebies that i will give to a couple people to try out and take some pics, if your interested PM me

Last edited by onewizard; 02-17-2017 at 01:40 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Posting Bussiness / Redirect/Not Permitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
Glenno are you still looking for a backrest?, i make them for other bikes and have been working on one for the 1000 Versys, i have 2 freebies that i will give to a couple people to try out and take some pics, if your interested PM me
For those that have seen this posting, some info has been deleted, as others have tried, you can't join and think to run a business using this forum. PM has been sent to this poster Here is a previous example:Hello From Cardo Systems! Read post 3 of this link for a redirect to Sales

Last edited by onewizard; 02-17-2017 at 01:52 PM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:45 AM

I found this one and really like the looks but it is very expensive IMO ($450):

Pirates Lair Stealth Backrest for the Kawasaki Versys 1000

2011 Yamaha FJR 1300
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
Looking for a low backrest that I can attach to the stock rack. Something discrete that will help my wife to feel like she's not going to slide off the back. I'm probably going to wind up building one myself. Can't find anything on internet.
As someone who suffers from back issues, back rests are usually a bad idea IMO, unless you are lying fully on your back or your back is fully supported. Poor posture on the bike, due to week core muscles, will give back pain on a long trip.

I find a much better alternative, to head off back pain, is too exercise and strengthen the core muscles that support your back. In particular walking, as well as running and bench exercises like sit ups are all great for the core muscles and improve posture. That and move around on the bike, stand on pegs occasionally, change your seating position, etc.. Since adopting this approach I never get a sore back on the bike, knees and legs are another matter.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-04-2017 at 09:52 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
As someone who suffers from back issues, back rests are usually a bad idea IMO, unless you are lying fully on your back or your back is fully supported. Poor posture on the bike, due to week core muscles, will give back pain on a long trip.

I find a much better alternative, to head off back pain, is too exercise and strengthen the core muscles that support your back. In particular walking, as well as running and bench exercises like sit ups are all great for the core muscles and improve posture. That and move around on the bike, stand on pegs occasionally, change your seating position, etc.. Since adopting this approach I never get a sore back on the bike, knees and legs are another matter.
I do these, PLUS always ride wearing a back-support. I especially like the supports that go over the shoulders as well as "velcroing" around my waist (like workers at Home Depot wear).

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

None of this addresses the OP's spouse's desire for the security of not falling off the back. If the driver would need to speed up suddenly or make some sort of defensive move, there is security in having that backrest there for her. It has nothing to do with exercising or core muscle strength. It's an added measure of safety for her.

2011 Yamaha FJR 1300

Last edited by hfjeff; 03-05-2017 at 08:39 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:07 PM

Garage
Well if you had a Versys 1000 here ya go..Pirates Lair Stealth Backrest for the Kawasaki Versys 1000

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Something like this perhaps........well, the site says I can't post a pic.

Last edited by Duffy; 03-05-2017 at 11:58 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Trying it again..............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	116833  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
None of this addresses the OP's spouse's desire for the security of not falling off the back. If the driver would need to speed up suddenly or make some sort of defensive move, there is security in having that backrest there for her. It has nothing to do with exercising or core muscle strength. It's an added measure of safety for her.
I misread the OP. For passenger use I would, like the others on this thread, recommend a top box. I'm amazed by how useful a lockable top box is for touring and commuting too.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-06-2017 at 08:38 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Trying it again..............
I would buy something like that which was reasonably priced for a 1st gen in a heartbeat.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode