Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Backrest advice anyone?

13K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Buffalo_Bob 
#1 ·
Looking for a low backrest that I can attach to the stock rack. Something discrete that will help my wife to feel like she's not going to slide off the back. I'm probably going to wind up building one myself. Can't find anything on internet.

#3 ·
Exactly

:exactly::funnypost:

My thought exactly.

#5 ·
#7 ·
This is my mock up for a shorty back rest. It will simply zip tie to the rack with heavy duty releasable zips. The round thing on the back is just a weight to hold in place for photo op. It will be made from thin metal and I will weld it all together. It will have thin rubber matting under it to prevent marring of the flat rack plastic. I'll make the pad as well. When I'm finished I'll post pics of completed project. This is to help keep the wife feeling like she won't slide off the back.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
#13 · (Edited)
As someone who suffers from back issues, back rests are usually a bad idea IMO, unless you are lying fully on your back or your back is fully supported. Poor posture on the bike, due to week core muscles, will give back pain on a long trip.

I find a much better alternative, to head off back pain, is too exercise and strengthen the core muscles that support your back. In particular walking, as well as running and bench exercises like sit ups are all great for the core muscles and improve posture. That and move around on the bike, stand on pegs occasionally, change your seating position, etc.. Since adopting this approach I never get a sore back on the bike, knees and legs are another matter.

#16 ·
#22 ·
I too have a 1st gen, with a shad 47L topcase and integrated backrest.

As we usually ride as a duo, she feels very secure & comfy leaning her back against it, in particular when we increase the pace on our sloppy roads.. >:)

Also, this a good way to show how gallant I am (... 0:) ), this allows to take with us her hand bag, her second pair of shoes, and bring back some shopping on our way home.

Yeah... I know. :smile2:

#23 ·
I'm just getting ready to order the Bestem T-Box with integrated backrest for my 2016 V650LT. I have Givi SR4114 racks already and am hoping that the included plate that comes with the Bestem will attach without too much fuss or needing an additional plate. Any feedback on this cheap trunk? Advice for mounting?

Bestem T-Box

https://www.amazon.com/Bestem-TBOX-...8&qid=1489168763&sr=8-1&keywords=Bestem+T-Box

Givi SR4114 rack

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-sr4114-top-case-rack-kawasaki-versys-650-2015-2016

#25 ·
Where could I buy this? Is fab the only option?

Seriously is there no option for a backrest for a gen whatever (2012 versys) 650 backrest with factory side cases? If you have side cases and a backrest, please post a clear picture and I will either buy one or fab one. The one posted by Duffy looks fine.

#26 ·
Seriously is there no option for a backrest for a gen whatever (2012 versys) 650 backrest with factory side cases? If you have side cases and a backrest, please post a clear picture and I will either buy one or fab one. The one posted by Duffy looks fine.
I have never seen a plain "backrest" for a Versys (any Gen). If you're not able to fab one up then I would recommend a top box. They are quite useful on any ride. I carry all my usual riding stuff (extra gloves, skull cap, neck sleeve and rain gear in mine).

#27 ·
can't find a backrest/top box compatible with factory side cases

2012 Versys 650 factory side cases. Need something for the back so my passenger is comfortable. Givi has a set with both side cases and a top case. None of the top case brackets are compatible with my side cases.

Anyone find something that works other than fabricating a backrest?

#28 ·
I have a V1k and was looking for a back rest. Places like Dragon’s Lair had a backrest only, but too expensive at $500 IMHO. Be careful of attaching one to your luggage rack plate on the back. On the V1k it’s rated for something like 13 pounds. From my understanding, having your wife or pillion tumbling down the road at 70mph is in bad form and not easy to explaining to your in-laws convincingly.

The other option was a factory-original or Givi top box,which I’m pretty sure makes the Kawasaki OE bags. I think the 47-something liter Givi Top box was going to be almost $500 all in with a backrest. Still, the 13 pound limit on my bike rack concerned me for pillion safety.

There is a company out there that makes a backrest only that is actually bolted through the seat itself underneath. Not sure how it works on the 650, or of it works at all.

I think Corbin has an option for a seat/backrest too, but at about $800 and I’ve seen mixed reviews about the company in here.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.