Chain Alignment Part Deux - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Oddly enough, I have checked my alignment several times using the string method, a borrowed chain alignment tool, and eyeball-the-chain-running methods and it seems the marks Kawasaki scribed are pretty much correct. Maybe my bike is one of the lucky ones, but it is definitely worth the comparison since I can now align to the marks and not get out the string.

Verify first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Yes, once I'm satisfied the chain is aligned - I do all of my adjusting by turning the same number of flats on each side. Since the V adjuster pushes instead of pulls & is buried somewhat, I marked the flats for a reference since the head of the cap screw isn't exposed very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
Oddly enough, I have checked my alignment several times using the string method, a borrowed chain alignment tool, and eyeball-the-chain-running methods and it seems the marks Kawasaki scribed are pretty much correct. Maybe my bike is one of the lucky ones, but it is definitely worth the comparison since I can now align to the marks and not get out the string.

Verify first.

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...
--- Hunter S. Thompson 1995 ---

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Maybe just needed some miles???

Last week after putting about 80 miles on the bike (it had ONE when I took delivery) and lots of WFO in 6th gear from about 3,500 to 6,000 RPM "pulls" to seat the rings, I decided to take another look at the chain situation before boogering up sprockets and/or chain. I don't know if operating the bike has anything to do w/ it since my original adjustment attempts were prior to being ridden, but I was able to achieve alignment. In addition, after getting things square, the discrepancy between the marking is now somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 mark. So all is good now even though I don't know what changed other than use.

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...
--- Hunter S. Thompson 1995 ---

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

alignment...

For anyone wondering WHY to worry about alignment - IF you remove your hands from the handle-bars and the bike wants to turn - it's PROBABLY mis-aligned. (I am NOT suggesting you ride hands-free...!)
bluesman77 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 PM

I adjusted my chain on my '15 Versys 650 for the first time today. I checked the marks and both sides were adjusted just shy of the third mark from the front. I checked the alignment with my Motion Pro alignment tool and the chain alignment was spot on.

I am really pleased with the Kawasaki's build quality so far.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Green Streak;1196218]I adjusted my chain on my '15 Versys 650 for the first time today. I checked the marks and both sides were adjusted just shy of the third mark from the front. I checked the alignment with my Motion Pro alignment tool and the chain alignment was spot on.

This is an old thread, but thought it better than starting a new one for a simple question. Are you satisfied with the Motion Pro tool (clamps to sprocket and has a rod pointed forward) or did you pay the price and get a tool with a laser in it??? Any brand name suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Chuck

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:51 PM

I have been satisfied with the Motion Pro shiny blue thing.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 09:34 PM

I have been happy with my Motion Pro but as I've noted on another thread, it appears my alignment marks on the swingarm are correct. There is a little less parallax error using the Motion Pro and there would be even less with a laser, but the Motion Pro is probably good enough.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
This is an old thread, but thought it better than starting a new one for a simple question. Are you satisfied with the Motion Pro tool (clamps to sprocket and has a rod pointed forward) or did you pay the price and get a tool with a laser in it??? Any brand name suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I have been satisfied with the Motion Pro shiny blue thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
I adjusted my chain on my '15 Versys 650 for the first time today. I checked the marks and both sides were adjusted just shy of the third mark from the front. I checked the alignment with my Motion Pro alignment tool and the chain alignment was spot on.
Quote:
...There is a little less parallax error using the Motion Pro and there would be even less with a laser, but the Motion Pro is probably good enough.
ANOTHER for the Motion Pro tool.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Are you satisfied with the Motion Pro tool (clamps to sprocket and has a rod pointed forward)
I had modified my Motion Pro tool by adding a longer rod to the tool. It functions very well and is quite precise with the longer rod. However after adding a Skidmarx rear wheel hugger, I would need to either remove the hugger to check the alignment (over the chain) or use it under the chain (would be a PIA.).

Quote:
or did you pay the price and get a tool with a laser in it??? Any brand name suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Chuck
I therefore purchased a Profi SE-CAT Motorcycle Chain Alignment Tool (Dot Laser Type) on eBay.

I am very happy with the results.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	100202  
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:04 PM

When you think about it there are several pieces that are being aligned. On a new bike with factory set tolerances aligning the chain and sprockets is probably more than sufficient. On an older bike, especially one with a few rubber-up excursions, there may be compromises to be made. Aligning the chain drive may not result in the wheels tracking in the same line. It seems like some error in the alignment marks on the swingarm could be due to twisting/tweaking of the swingarm or frame.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
When you think about it there are several pieces that are being aligned. On a new bike with factory set tolerances aligning the chain and sprockets is probably more than sufficient. On an older bike, especially one with a few rubber-up excursions, there may be compromises to be made. Aligning the chain drive may not result in the wheels tracking in the same line. It seems like some error in the alignment marks on the swingarm could be due to twisting/tweaking of the swingarm or frame.
Mine was more that a quarter mark off from the showroom floor, dry, no miles.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Mine was more that a quarter mark off from the showroom floor, dry, no miles.
As were all THREE of my Vs...!

Ed

..)

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:46 AM

I have had small battles with the same issue, but doesn't sound to be anything like you have had. Motion pro has a video that shows how to use their chain alignment tool.
If you watch to the end he shows the trick about a hammer handle/screwdriver in the chain to help move the tire forward onto the adjusters (as others have mentioned, but gives a good visual)
It doesn't matter if you are using that tool, this method can be used.
Maybe try this as you are making adjustments.
Maybe try with the axle nut really loose. What the heck, sounds like you have tried everything else..........

Steve
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode