How do I test the headlight relay? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
sooooooooo.... looking at the diagram, the headlight relay is always in series with 2 diodes and the starter relay coil. that would indicate that the light relay is a special monkey right? the lighting relay must operate at a lower voltage and yet current limit enough to keep the starter relay from coming on uncommanded, so I'm guessing it's not an off the shelf relay & think that is an important point. a test as described is ok, but prolly not a good idea to go full voltage too long.

1wizard.... ever test one on a variable power supply to see where it comes in? just curious. I see what they are doin.... any time you push start, it puts plus on both sides of the headlight coil & turns it off.

the Concours had weirder one than that... it used the starter's armature as a generator to engage the rely as it winds down after start, then the relay would latch with alternator power
In reality the Versys and every other Kawasaki bike with the 650 motor has what I call the same flaw, it was designed to pull in the headlight once alternator power was sufficient to charge and run the motor, I say flaw and it took me 2 hours to figure it out after FastEddie told me his light came on without his connection from the stator to headlight relay ( bypassed original connector).

So what happens is release of the start button on a fairly new battery produces a collapsing field on the start solenoid that is equal and opposite to the applied force, so ground is positive and the wire connected to the headlight relay becomes negative, this negative current goes through the coil through the blocking diode to the positive output of the relay through the headlights and then to ground, producing a very short burst of energy sufficient enogh to pull in the headlight relay, once in the relay latches.

I proved this and installed a free wheeling diode at the solenoid, my headlight relay is triggered by my brake light. Instructions are all over this site, some in burnt stators, I have started compiling under Polaris regulator install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:40 AM

Garage
hey Oz.... not helpin' man

1wizard... was just curious. there is about .7vdc drop on each diode right? so 2 diodes plus the start relay coil resistance means the voltage for the light relay will always be at least a couple volts below system. I know what you mean about intermittent duty relays, I see them in aircraft and they run as low as .5 ohms,,, doubt the one on the bike is that hot. at this point it's only an intellectual discussion for me & a chance to expand knowledge & learn the systems (I'm new to the V). all good

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 03:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
hey Oz.... not helpin' man
No worries mate, I'll just read **** from now on and never try to help ever again.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Not being a narc but you didn't answer twowheeladdict question about checking the voltage with the engine running. The engine must be started or at least attempt to be started to get power to the light socket.
Did you check the headlight fuse? Much more likely to be blown than the relay.
First I want to say you were 100% correct in checking the voltage if it was some other inmate, however please follow this thread below and it will become clearer why I was focused strictly on the lighting circuit Is the stator dying or is it some other electrical gremlin?

Quote:
Well I don't want to be a narc but if you read what I posted I didn't say anything about testing the bloody relay. And if you are so smart why don't you go fix his bike for him.
Regards the one who doesn't understand things like you do.

And I can understand and accept what you posted, what you don't know is I have a 07 that I need to do a valve shim and throttle body sync on, and a number of other things so I can sell it, while my 2015 sits beside it waiting to get the side and top cases, highway pegs, lowering link, thermo-Bob , heads up voltage monitor, the good news is I got my Oxford heated grips mounted and my Barkbuster Storm hand guards mounted, **so I don't mind helping on the forum, but I am pressed for time , so yes I was a little short and could have done a better job in communication

Quote:
No worries mate, I'll just read **** from now on and never try to help ever again.
That is the opposite of what I want and I am sure others feel the same way, this forum is great because we all share our knowledge and pitch in at a moments notice. So my plan is to come back to OZ probably at the end of the year, staying 3 months, a matter of planning when the rainy season begins, which could be difficult as yesterday it was 36'C in Eildon , when it should be in the mid 20's.
Looking at driving the Black Spur, this time on a bike, have a dirt bike waiting, but need to look for bike shops near Melbourne that rent bikes.

So if you haven't been able to read between the lines

So I am a old fart so for me it could be taken the way I did, until I hear different from the OP-**and just so people don't think I am making this up, I have posted some pics---see you later, need to get away and back to hands on** you guys are on your own for the rest of the day be good ---onewizard out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxford Grips.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	82073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barkbuster Srorm.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	82081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barkbuster Storm Guards.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	82089   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 versys Oxford grips.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	82097  

Last edited by onewizard; 03-06-2016 at 09:03 AM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Cmon, guys, Maverick was kidding. I laughed out loud. Unfortunately, tone of voice doesn't come through in text. He complimented wizard for his knowledge!

Maverick's post #6 in this thread reminds me of the time when a coworker walked up to me and complained that the printer didn't work. "Is it on?" I asked -- and people gave me sh*t for that for years. But of course that's the right question: is it plugged in, is it on? Someday, someone will read this thread because the headlight isn't on when the key is switched on but before the bike is started.
onewizard likes this.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 03-06-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode