New passwords - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (Kawasakiversys.com) Questions about forum functionality or suggestions for improvement. Need help finding what you're looking for? Let us know here!

9Likes
  • 4 Post By ray h
  • 1 Post By AlaskaJeff
  • 2 Post By AdventureSeeker
  • 1 Post By ray h
  • 1 Post By ronheater70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Angry New passwords

Must be at least 10 characters
Must contain lower-case characters
Must contain upper-case characters
Must contain numbers
Must contain symbols

Really? It's a freaking public forum, not Fort Knox.
That is way overkill for a stupid public forum. I have a hard enough time remembering my passwords to credit cards, bank accounts etc, and they are not as complex as this is. This level of complexity is just added BS we don't need. No one is presenting their SS# on this site, what kind of security risk is involved that requires more password complexity than most banks?
Lets, for once, just try to make life simpler instead of more complicated.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:18 PM

Garage
YEAH, what he said!! 10 FREAKING characters...............
ronheater70 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM

They gotta do what they gotta do.
Everyone should have a 10+ character password on deck anyway. Something with some symbols, upper case, lower case and numbers.
I'm more upset that some of my accounts won't let me use special characters. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard (I'm looking at you Optonline).
The logic I'm using is that most people use the same password for multiple accounts. If this forum has vulnerabilities, hackers can use the passwords obtained here to try and login to more "beneficial" sites such as banks. They would likely see great success because like I said, most people use the same password for everything.
I think that you really REALLY need to think about where we are in this day and age. Cyber crime is not a joke or a fantasy. It's very real. Take it from someone that works in IT.
You don't want to be on the receiving end of an attack.
Just make a stronger password and move on lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:26 PM

To all, I work in corporate IT. I HIGHLY recommend that EVERYONE check out a free service called LastPass to manage and create your passwords. It's totally free for browser use, if you want it on your phone it's $12/year. These guys are seriously good, I promise you that they're secure and there's nothing to worry about.

I manage more secure junk than you can imagine, and everything goes into my lastpass. I don't even know my own passwords for most things.

I did just get mad at Dell this morning, their IT professional portal made me change my password...those rules were "at least 8 but not more than 12 characters, at least one uppercase, at least one lowercase, some specials allowed but not all, no ascending or descending characters, no previous passwords". What a pain in the biscuits.

Edit: Also, doxxing people is trivial. I can't suggest enough to you that you not use the same userID on multiple places and that you never, ever reuse the same passwords. You can also, with services like gmail, add wildcards to your email address, ergo MotorCycleRider@gmail.com and MotorCycleRider+insecurewebsite@gmail.com both go to the same address. You can really get some pretty interesting granular control, especially because later if you get spam you can see exactly who sold your info.
3dog and NBVersys001 like this.

Last edited by AdventureSeeker; 06-23-2016 at 12:28 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
To all, I work in corporate IT. I HIGHLY recommend that EVERYONE check out a free service called LastPass to manage and create your passwords. It's totally free for browser use, if you want it on your phone it's $12/year. These guys are seriously good, I promise you that they're secure and there's nothing to worry about.

I manage more secure junk than you can imagine, and everything goes into my lastpass. I don't even know my own passwords for most things.

I did just get mad at Dell this morning, their IT professional portal made me change my password...those rules were "at least 8 but not more than 12 characters, at least one uppercase, at least one lowercase, some specials allowed but not all, no ascending or descending characters, no previous passwords". What a pain in the biscuits.

Edit: Also, doxxing people is trivial. I can't suggest enough to you that you not use the same userID on multiple places and that you never, ever reuse the same passwords. You can also, with services like gmail, add wildcards to your email address, ergo MotorCycleRider@gmail.com and MotorCycleRider+insecurewebsite@gmail.com both go to the same address. You can really get some pretty interesting granular control, especially because later if you get spam you can see exactly who sold your info.
My passwords on public forums is always short and sweet so it never matches my passwords for bank and credit card accounts (which have required more complex PWs for a long time now). I don't care if someone hacks my Versys Forum account, big freaking deal. The problem now is with these new complex requirements how many people will use the same password on this forum as they do on more important financial sites?
I'm afraid this "step forward" for this site will end up being a step beckward for a lot of members who take the easy route of using the same password here as they do their bank accounts. How many people are just going to stay logged in because they don't feel like typing or remembering this new sentence long password?
I used to work for the state, I had 9 PWs to remember and they all changed at different times, had differing requirements and couldn't repeat. They told us under no circumstances to write them down or share them with a third party. Well everyone wrote them down because they made things so complicated that no one could remember them. They created their own security risk. This site has done the same.
ronheater70 likes this.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL

Last edited by ray h; 06-23-2016 at 01:11 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
My passwords on public forums is always short and sweet so it never matches my passwords for bank and credit card accounts (which have required more complex PWs for a long time now). I don't care if someone hacks my Versys Forum account, big freaking deal. The problem now is with these new complex requirements how many people will use the same password on this forum as they do on more important financial sites?
I'm afraid this "step forward" for this site will end up being a step beckward for a lot of members who take the easy route of using the same password here as they do their bank accounts. How many people are just going to stay logged in because they don't feel like typing or remembering this new sentence long password?
I used to work for the state, I had 9 PWs to remember and they all changed at different times, had differing requirements and couldn't repeat. They told us under no circumstances to write them down or share them with a third party. Well everyone wrote them down because they made things so complicated that no one could remember them. They created their own security risk. This site has done the same.
Yea, just a Tad overkill..
my2wheels likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:11 PM

Garage
Well fellas it is a tad overkill for a bike forum. But I don't even know if its THIS forum, or all forums who use this software have to do it as my Star bike forums had a mandatory change, today, as well.

I agree, the passwords are getting ridiculous, not to mention needing to remember 400 different website username/passwords. But hey, chrome remembers most of them for me

We just need a new username/password system universal, for everything. Websites, computers, phones, tablets, credit cards, etc. Whoever comes out with one, will be a billabajillionaire.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Do you actually log into the forum every time you visit?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:22 PM

Garage
People actually come up with and remember their own passwords still? How 2015 /s

Lastpass or any other PW manager will change your world. Let it create the passwords for you. Remember 1 password, setup 2FA with your phone and never think about passwords again
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:21 PM
Banned

Check out the address on the bottom of your e mail they sent you.

YES, they're Canadians!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, anyone want a spare password with all the necessary ups/downs/icons'n'caps???

Forgotmyf8ckingpa$$w@rdagain!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 08:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
Check out the address on the bottom of your e mail they sent you.

YES, they're Canadians!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh really, eh? Awesome

Always trust your cape.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Garage
We're Canadian! Well, the majority of us Jeff isn't.

The password change might be a bit annoying but there are a lot of users on the forum that use the same password/email combination for everything which isn't the safest thing to do. We want to get everyone around to changing it so that their accounts won't get hacked.

in case you do need a password, I have a really strong one.

it's
HulkThorSupermanHerculesGoku

Lee
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiMan View Post
We're Canadian! Well, the majority of us Jeff isn't.

The password change might be a bit annoying but there are a lot of users on the forum that use the same password/email combination for everything which isn't the safest thing to do. We want to get everyone around to changing it so that their accounts won't get hacked.

in case you do need a password, I have a really strong one.

it's
HulkThorSupermanHerculesGoku

Lee
Your password wont work, it doesn't have a symbol, OR number, you know the site requires those.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMERSlMPSON View Post
They gotta do what they gotta do.
Why? I don't care if your password is a book, if they hack in, they can get it. And then what, type dirty MC posts under your moniker. Eww Ahh!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode