Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

First bike for a pretty young child...

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  PinkFloyd 
#1 ·
Hey fellas. I've got a little boy turning 5 here in a couple weeks and I've been weighing getting him a bike. Still not at all convinced either way but I think by spring he'll be big/strong enough.

Perusing the craigslist locally this week there are two bikes available for really remarkable prices and I thought I'd see if anyone has input, they're DEFINITELY different directions.

The first is a beastly old Honda QA-50, here's the pic:

Says it runs and rides, maybe some TLC for a full restore. I would be comfortable working on this bike, it's about the same vintage as all my previous bikes.

The second option is an '04 KTM 50 SX Pro Senior, a bike I know nothing about, owner states it needs brakes, which I can definitely do. Here's a pic of that bike:

I don't even really readily have a place for him to ride, so it's probably a silly thing to consider, I'm just kicking around ideas. Any input would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Don't want to bring rain clouds but does your boy have a bicycle or at least know how to ride one? Non-motorized two wheel machines seem a much safer way to begin. He is going to have plenty of time to master control of throttle, clutch and brakes after he learns how to start, balance and stop a bicycle.

#4 · (Edited)
Do not get him the KTM as a first motorcycle that is a racing machine and not a beginners one. look for a PW0 if you can small light weight buy it for $500 and then sell it later for the same amount

Some thing like this suspension is nice some thing the honda does not have.
also on the pw 50 there is a limiting screw on the throttle so you can make it so it opens as far as you want and no farther. a good way to keep the speeds down.

here is an example of some in WV
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5325862084.html

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/snw/5317854345.html

https://westmd.craigslist.org/mcy/5337466645.html

and you can buy training wheels for it as well

I also like this teather kill switch as a extra safty as well for young kids

#6 ·
Thanks all, I figured the KTM was a little bit too much bike. Good point on the riding the bike too. He can do it with training wheels, we haven't progressed past that part yet.

FWIW, part of it is a preemptive strike to get ahead of my father, who will absolutely disregard any of my wishes and do as he pleases wrt purchasing a bike.

#10 ·
Unfortunately I don't have pics available right now, but I started my oldest boy on a Suzuki JR50 when he was 2 1/2 years old. Looked "sort-of" like this (that was about 37 years ago...)!

He rode it w/ a 'cobbled-up' sidecar till he was 4, then rode on 2 wheels at my farm, then on some trails W of Montreal at St. Lazarre, till he graduated to a Honda XR75, while his younger bro' took over the JR.

#11 ·
get them a pocket bike to start on, you can get electric ones to reduce the chance of them burning themselfs like i did alot as a kid
tho that said that honda it cute and if you do the training wheeles make sure there are not to low (want the bike to lean about 15* each way

#14 ·
The Honda, Yamaha, etc. beginner 50cc bikes are excellent for starters.

KTM makes a beginner 50cc model (we had one years ago), but the 50 SX Pro Senior ain't it.

Buying a used one from CL is a great idea. Condition (usually where it has been stored and how maintained) would be the deciding factor for me rather than brand. Parts for these little machines can really add up if you buy one that needs work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.