What's in my garage today? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What's in my garage today?

A wonderful Ducati Multistrada 1200. That's what.

Of course, the garage is not the right place for such a great machine. So, out for a ride.

The Versys went in for a new chain and sprockets. The Ducati is a loaner from the dealership. Nice trade for a few days, don't ya think?

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
A wonderful Ducati Multistrada 1200. That's what.
Luv the Ducs, hate the maintenance. Hope you enjoy, that's one hell of a machine.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:34 PM

Nice. I need to leave my garage door open more often and see what nice bikes wander in.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 09:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Luv the Ducs, hate the maintenance. Hope you enjoy, that's one hell of a machine.
From the Ducati Australia website

More miles, less maintenance.
The enjoyment of riding, reliability and maximum containment of maintenance costs are among the main criteria that drive every engineering project in Ducati. We have spread out services to intervals of 24,000 km and on some models the main Desmo Service is not necessary until 30,000 km. Even the simplest services, the Oil Service, have been spaced out to 12,000 km or 15,000 km, values that represent an absolute reference for high performance engines.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 09:39 PM

Garage
Dats nuts bro.

Lucky duck.. sneaky way of sellin new bikes..

very effective

Momma was a Ninja, pappy was a KLR, now it's me Versys the world.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:44 PM

Garage
Break it down bro!

What are its strengths? Weaknesses? How does it handle compared to the V? IYO, is it worth 3X the cost of the V? Sure is purdy!

Binderline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
...The Versys went in for a new chain and sprockets. The Ducati is a loaner from the dealership. Nice trade for a few days, don't ya think?
They're playin' w/ your HEAD, man...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
From the Ducati Australia website

More miles, less maintenance.
The enjoyment of riding, reliability and maximum containment of maintenance costs are among the main criteria that drive every engineering project in Ducati. We have spread out services to intervals of 24,000 km and on some models the main Desmo Service is not necessary until 30,000 km. Even the simplest services, the Oil Service, have been spaced out to 12,000 km or 15,000 km, values that represent an absolute reference for high performance engines.
That's more reasonable. And to be honest, Ducati does maintenance right. Their techs are factory trained. And when it's time for maintenance, they do everything.

As I recall, mine used to require major service at 12k mile intervals. Looks like they bumped that up to 18k miles if my conversion is correct. It it used to be about $1500 for them to adjust the valves, change the cam belts, air filter, and fuel filter, balance the throttle bodies, change the fork oil, brake fluid, oil, and antifreeze. I'd wait until my tires and chains needed replaced to get it all done together, so it was even more pricey.

I miss my Victory. Just change the oil every now and again and the damn thing would run forever.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
They're playin' w/ your HEAD, man...!

Game on!

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:04 PM

Garage
Would be a great time for a long "Road Trip"

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Few days? Are they milling the sprockets from unatanium? Would think sprockets and chains would be something they have in stock and should only take a few hours to change in a shop

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Few days? Are they milling the sprockets from unatanium? Would think sprockets and chains would be something they have in stock and should only take a few hours to change in a shop
If they're loaning out Ducatis, who wants to wait around for a couple of hours when you can play on a Multi for a few days?

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
One would think. But, the parts were being ordered and the front sprocket has yet to arrive, so here I am enjoying the Ducati, likely til Tuesday. No complaints from me...

Always trust your cape.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Really hot today with humidex readings over 40 degrees C. So I scooted out in the morning before it got too hot to try out these Scorpion Trails while gravel bombing down some roads I like. Nothing too crazy, I am afterall a guest on this bike, but I did want to compare it to the Versys.

The tires did seem to be a better fit in the gravel than the Michelin Pilot Roads I have on the Versys. I felt more secure and took the curves and corners with a little bit of lean. On the Versys, I hit the gravel pretty much upright at all times. And this bike is great for standing on the pegs too with your knees easily gripping the front top of the saddle.

Always trust your cape.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 08:31 PM

Very nice. The last photo with the interesting tree in the background is great.
It would make a fine advertising shot. Perhaps you should send it to Ducati.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-18-2015 at 08:33 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 07:05 AM

Garage
You are lucky. In my area they still treat motorcycles as toys. I asked for a loaner of a used bike to get to work, and they said they don't do that.
They also try to get you to leave a bike sitting there while they order recall parts for it. On that one I said no $#%& way.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 06:08 AM

They're still trying to loosen your front sprocket nut...
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
They're still trying to loosen your front sprocket nut...
-

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
What are its strengths? Weaknesses? How does it handle compared to the V? IYO, is it worth 3X the cost of the V? Sure is purdy!
It's like comparing apples to oranges really. The Mulitstrada is everything the Versys could be... if the Versys was a $20,000 motorcycle. Apples/oranges.

But, since you asked:

Strengths:
- great ergonomics, especially the spaces between grips/seat/pegs
- excellent suspension; potholes and heaved pavement, gravel, driveway curbs - all good, nothing seems to upset the tracking.
- Heaps of power. Even in Urban setting (100hp). The 150hp at Sport setting was insane.

Weakness:
- despite the large size and good ergos, my left heal kept touching the lever for the center stand. And I have small feet.
- Too Much. Power, money, electronic gadgetry. All those excesses are a negative to me. Weakness? Maybe not, just not the market for me (apples/oranges)
- Uses lots of gas, sub 40 MPG

My Versys is back home with shiny new sprockets and a new chain. Running like a top with 56,400 kms and rising every day. The Ducati was a fun test - a little variety never hurts - but I'm glad to have the V back and I'm still enjoying everything about it.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 02-20-2016 at 08:51 PM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Today, it's a Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.

Just on loan for the day. Very nice ride, as it should be for the price on these things.
weljo2001 likes this.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode