Kawasaki ER-6C, that's C as in Custom - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 2361 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM

Nice project JD, its something I would like to do with my Versys. Has the bigger front wheel and TKC rubber affected the handling much? I do most of my ridding on the road, though I do hitch up quite often with a KLR club and do some forest roads etc, can't afford a another bike so I am trying to get the best of both worlds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 2361 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 PM

My thoughts exactly!

I have been trawling through Ebay and another auction site called Trademe here in NZ for some 12 months + Will have to be a bit more patient, though your project with the 2 sets of wheels seems to be spot on!

Great work, keep the posts coming, hopefully I wont be to far behind you.
post #43 of 2361 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 PM

Will do, I forgot to mention, I did try Woody's wheels over your side of the pond, he was looking into making some wheels up for the Versys, 19" front,17" back, still waiting for a reply, though your choice definitely seems a more practical choice on the wallet. Will keep trawling through the adds..............Will get back to you once I am sorted, and yes I can't wait to pass those KLR riders on the gravel, had enough of chewing on there dust.

Gary.

post #44 of 2361 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM

SMALL DENT ...!!! It looks like you lost a gallon of capacity ... fill that with bondo .... and you'll be turning left all day ... LOL ... you could try plugging the tank ... installing a schrader valve ... put a little air pressure to it ... and alittle heat in the right spot to push the dent out ... and maybe add alittle capacity ... LOL
post #45 of 2361 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 AM

Now I see what you are talking about ... It appears in the photo that the panel with KAWASAKI on it is caved in ...
post #46 of 2361 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 PM

Garage
Can you fit two more?

Hi JD

It looks like you could fit two more above the indicators.

Handy for storing human muscle relaxant or more.

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 2361 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:03 PM

Dude - you should be over in Japan at Kawasaki's design studio.

Maybe I missed it but...where's this bike headed this summer?

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
post #48 of 2361 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 AM

I had this topic bookmarked since it began, but could never find the time to read it.
Well, I finally found the time and I'm impressed and inspired.
Cheers for sharing your ride report and work on the bike with us, JD.

I like your approach to building and finessing these bikes.
Will definitely try some of your solutions.
I've set my mind to either try rear-to-front Tourance or the 19'' VStrom wheel. Little research and logistic are due. That fender is going up, I tell you.

Can't wait to hear your impressions when you try it on the road.

Cheers.
post #49 of 2361 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
anyone who thinks these bikes can't get up and run just hasn't tried i
No truer words have been spoken. (or typed) You are right on JD. Great post you have going here. Please keep it up!

I have this huge Ontario map on the living room floor right now.

There seems to be a ton of "dotted line" roads north of Lake Superior. Way north.

Methinks I need to check em out next August. Don't know if I'll have a

19 on front but what the hell,,,,,,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #50 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
one fork leg drips every so often. not constant, but a warning sign that i'm going to need to get in there and replace the seals sooner rather than later. in the mean time, i need to clean all the grit i can from under the seal.

these are plastic strips cut from a straight section of clam shell packaging and slide right under the dust cover so you can clean around the lip of the seal. you'd be surprised at all the junk that accumulates under there. takes up zero room in the tank bag and might get you home if you have a fork leaking.
The fork dust seals can be carefully pried down with standard (flat) screwdriver and slid down to clean them without dismantling the forks... I add a good bead of grease inside the dust seal on its lip, and periodically pop them down to clean out the old grease then re-grease, as recommended and done on offroad USD forks.

Your Paris-Dakar ER6 is looking great, by the way.
post #51 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 AM

How about a dual-purpose Ninja 500?
Probably rode a KLR previously...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=23

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #52 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Yup jdrocks,
I think I like your bike better.
Actually I'm in awe of your bike and fabrication skills.

Didn't mean to "trash up" your thread....

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #53 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 AM

WOW! Took me three sittings to read the whole post, but so worth it. I would love to be able to get to where you are(time and money) in the future. Maybe if the wife gets this new contract...

As others have said, you're an excellent fabricator and writer. Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled

post #54 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:21 AM

I wish I had the mechanical ability to do a build like this. I'm usually pretty proud of myself if I can change the oil without event. Very impressive! What a cool bike.

'10 BMW R1200GS Adventure
'11 BMW S1000RR
post #55 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
that's the thing about working on these bikes. you change the oil one day, then you tinker around with this and that, one thing leads to another...and then one day you're thinkin' "hey, this is easy". you be strutting your stuff.

...that's when the neighbor brings over his busted lawn mower.

I'll confirm this 100%.
At least it's how it went with me. I anxiously changed the oil on the bike first time and after that started taking things apart and back together just for fun and practice and couple of days ago I took apart an entire lawn mower to fix it (fix pending)...

What's the new plastic bumper for JD?
post #56 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:15 PM

"..and i'm already looking at the build for the coming winter.."

We knew that. How could you not build another???????

Inquiring minds need a clue to the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
post #57 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 PM

I'm about to start reading this thread for a second time. I'd love to do a trip like this some day! As it is I'm getting excited for my upcoming 1600 mile trip.

To those who say that they wished they had the skill to do a build like this: I'm the dumbest guy in the world and I built an airplane in my garage. I would equate it to a second college education in terms of learning and cost. There is a saying in the community that says it all and it is as follows:

"It isn't technical knowledge and mechanical ability that builds airplanes...it is the will to do so"

replace "airplane" with "motorcycle" and there you go.
post #58 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff View Post
Wow, Canuckerstan (or however you want to spell it) is an insult? Nobody up here gives a damn what the world calls us. All we ask is that you visit.

It's a term of endearment as far as I'm concerned, just a bloody word. JD et' all, your welcome back any time.
Good for you my Northern Brother!

I havenít been up there in some time but I am looking forward to the next time.

I despise all this hypersensitive PC crap! Itís not the words... itís the intent behind them that matters!

Have a good one!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

|
|
post #59 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

I'm from ALBERTA, that's the SECOND last province on the left side of "Kanada"....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #60 of 2361 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
thanks cuff, i really do appreciate that. i guess i could say it's a term of endearment for me also after 48 years. i'll be back over the border for a big run north later this season.

when we meet up on the trail, i owe ya a cold one...or two.
Beers on me if you are in the Fraser Valley of BC. In fact, anyone on this board has an invite if they're up this way or even over this way from the second last province.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode