Kawasaki ER-6C, that's C as in Custom - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 2408 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 2408 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM

jdrocks

Enjoying your trip on the modified Kawi. Can't wait to get my salvage 650R and start wrenching.

Question, in the picture with the Englishman (the tall one with the safety vest) is he wearing what I think he is wearing? Sidi mountain biking shoes? As in bicycle shoes for mtn. biking? I have a pair just like them and yes they have stiff soles, but no protection at all for motorcycling. Does he ride in those?

Can't wait for the finish of your new bike and your trip! Thumbs up!

Cy
post #23 of 2408 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 AM

Thumbs up

Great story so far and can't wait to see what's in those boxes to complete the new Kawi!

post #24 of 2408 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 PM

jdrocks

Are you getting must of your used parts locally or salvage yards across the country? I don't find enough of the things I need for my '09 650R on eBay or locally here in southern California.
post #25 of 2408 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 01:49 AM

The bike should be cleared in about 2 more weeks from the insurance company so that I can purchase it and take it home. The bike is a 2009 Lime Green Kawasaki 650R.

Basically, I am looking for left and right green upper fairings, headlight and front fender. Lower fairings are perfect. Need to replace the clutch cable and the left stator cover. I have a bead on a tailight for cheap. Other than that, I am good to go.

2009 is the changeover year for the 650R, so all the plastics are new. Not too many fairings available, unless I buy a different color and paint.
post #26 of 2408 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
if you're taking it back to stock, you'll just have to keep looking. you don't want to buy new plastic, the price is outrageous. take it naked in the meantime so you can ride it.
post #27 of 2408 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 AM

OMG they look Huge ...but in a cool way ...i always enjoy your fabrication work JD (damn i gotta get myself a welder)
Are you going to have a large or small screen as well, or keep it relatively naked as per your 1st Er6?
and I'm assuming you will run a similar set of PIAA's auxiliaries to assist in the "blindaging" of oncoming traffic (ohh i just made up a word )

Thanks for all the posting too...looks like ill have to update the wallpaper on my computer when your done.
post #28 of 2408 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 AM

Not going to use the less aesthetic, but larger capacity Versys tank? Seems like with your skills, that you could knock off the attachmnet points, grind, smooth and fill. Too difficult?
post #29 of 2408 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Ever thought about just cutting the ER6 tank into around the perimeter and adding a band in for more height? I bet 4" would add a lot of fuel. With a tall tank bag it might even make a nice chin rest :-)
post #30 of 2408 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Keep it coming jd. I am scribbling notes upon my old tattered BC map.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #31 of 2408 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

WOW.

Thanks for taking us along! What a story!!
post #32 of 2408 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 PM

jdrocks-

No pun intended, but you rock man!! Thanks for the trip report, and as you have been told countless times before - you have a knack for telling a story. I also look forward to seeing the results of your continuing ER6-C build. BTW, I really appreciated you posting the general cost of your trip over on ADV when you were asked - that guy beat me to the question, and great tips!

I do, however, have one question of my own. I noticed the GPS on your bike. I've never felt the need for one yet. What is your opinion on any "necessity" of GPS for exploring the gravel roads of Canuckistan, based upon your having spent considerable time up there - tripping and apparently mapping the land as well? Do you feel Gazeteer level maps for the provinces would suffice and/or do you simply use the GPS to make the route finding etc go faster?

Thanks again, and I appreciate your input!
post #33 of 2408 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 AM

It appears you have the GPS model that I have considered. Good to know I am on the right track if I were to go that route.

I'm glad you brought up the towing issue, as I had been thinking about that myself, and then, the other day, I viewed a thread on ADV (guy with a Duc Mutli-S that broke on a trip up there and cost him a ton of $ to get it home) and it really drove home that issue for me. Did you use a rode-side service/towing plan through your insurance company or did you go through something like AMA?

I am trying trying to iron all the logistical and monetary issues/possibilities of such a trip and determine if it might be feasible for me to attempt one during a 21 day break I have next summer - hence all the detailed questions. I figure worst case, if 21 days doesn't seem like enough time to safely and ENJOYABLY get all the way to Alaska (and back, the most important part) I might just get "stuck" with a thorough exploration of Canuckistan.

Thanks again for your sage advice.
post #34 of 2408 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:07 AM

Garage
Wow!

Wow JD

I have just read this tread from end to end today and have riden all 13,500 miles with you.

That splatter with the farm truck was a real good reason to wear all the gear all the time, even in hot weather.

I am so glad to hear you were OK.

Please do complete the trip and tell us about the last 4 -5 days, and what was Mrs JD's reaction when she saw the bike?

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #35 of 2408 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
one thing i learned is that you need good cameras of the right kind. you can't take enough frames to entirely capture what you see and do. just keep shooting and sort it out later.
I look forward to the rest of the tale.

What do you think is a "good cameras of the right kind"?

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #36 of 2408 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
...on the subject of cameras.

the two cameras are there so you have a spare, but mine also have different features. my small Nikon has a 12x optical zoom and uses AAA batteries, <snip>.
the second camera is an Olympus 1050sw that is waterproof and shockproof. <snip> I was on a trip in 2008 with a guy that had a SW camera on a strap around his neck. that camera was underwater when he jumped in to rescue a guy who lost his footing in high fast water (there's a great story there). this little camera was banging around underwater, but still functioned perfectly afterward. made a believer out of me.
JD - I have a Canon S5, the equivelent of your Nikon. I would have to get a tank bag to be able to use that. (On the farkle list, but not just yet.)

I didn't know that Olympus had a Tough line of cameras. The Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 looks very interesting. Again you have the problem of the propietory battery, but the features make it sound an ideal pocket camera (from the site):
  • SHOCKPROOF (6.6ft.)
  • WATERPROOF (33ft.)
  • FREEZEPROOF (14įF/-10įC)
  • CRUSHPROOF (220lbf.)
  • DUAL IMAGE STABILIZATION

post #37 of 2408 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
i'm out of excuses now....
Hah!

Lookin' forward to the update(s) jdrocks.

I'm headed north myself this coming summer and am working up plans when I have the spare time. I don't know when or where though, as I still don't know the exact dates when I'll be able to get away from my commitments.

BTW, any input on that pm?

Thanks again!
post #38 of 2408 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:32 PM

except from the big tyre selection, the bike will be more stable off road
post #39 of 2408 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
There you have it, almost too easy.
Your "too easy" equates to a talk I heard about walking across Niagra Falls on a tight-wire - also described as easy.

I am sh**ing myself thinking of taking my wheels off just to get new rubber.

There is no way I am thinking of a 19" front wheel, even though it would make dirt roads more fun.

Thanks for the write-up.

post #40 of 2408 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode