2017 z 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By blipco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

2017 z 650

Has anybody demo'd or otherwise ridden the new Z 650?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Garage
No, but I have viewed a lot on line. Currently pretty much in love. Top of my list of possible replacements for my aging Versys.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

They're claiming 410 lbs wet. Looks like fun.
Seems they're competing with fz07 Yami.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:58 AM

Any idea when this gets transferred to the Versys? Maybe 2018?

And a bit off topic, how about a V900? Would be great to have a lighter more compact version of V1000.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post

And a bit off topic, how about a V900? Would be great to have a lighter more compact version of V1000.
When what gets transfered?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I bought a z900 five days ago. The 900 (948 cc) motor is smooth and vibe free. They no longer are making the z800 and the z1000 is for sale in Europe only, not USA, so you just may get your wish.
invader likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:17 PM

(we've hijacked your thread but this may be more interesting anyway!)
Did you get the ABS version? Seat okay and how are the brakes/forks/shock? My local(ish) dealer had a Z900 for about one day. Has lots of Z650 and one lonely 2016 Versys.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
(we've hijacked your thread but this may be more interesting anyway!)
Did you get the ABS version? Seat okay and how are the brakes/forks/shock? My local(ish) dealer had a Z900 for about one day. Has lots of Z650 and one lonely 2016 Versys.
I did get the z900 abs version with the green frame.
The seat height is about 31 inches. The brakes are good though with so few miles on it I am just now bedding in the pads. Soft initial bite but plenty of power. I may go for more aggressive pads once I get more experience with the bike.

The stock suspension is very good as is. I'm 180 pounds without gear. Under hard braking there is no undue front end dive and is very compliment over rough road. By comparison, my 09 Versys had too much front end dive and was harsh going over square edge potholes.
The bike handles and turns in like a sport bike. It feels absolutely weightless while riding.

The motor is as smooth as all the testers have said. I don't notice any vibes anywhere and the throttle fuels perfectly in any application. High or low speed.

For a brief moment I considered the z650 but getting the z900 was the way to go, for me anyways. If you can believe it it is easier to ride than the 650 Versys. You are in complete control of the bike, not the other way around.

I had to pay MSRP because it's a new model and Kawasaki isn't offering any incentives yet and there aren't any leftovers yet. If you can wait and they don't all sell you may save a thousand dollars next year but I couldn't wait.

I've owned a bunch of bikes, some way more powerful some not. The z900 is perfect. I love it. If you are considering one don't hesitate. Try and get a demo ride.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:27 AM

Wow... Great choice, Blipco! The new Z900 is an extremely impressive new machine which is already famous and highly popular globally for its overall performance and perfection of engineering.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I bought a z900 five days ago. The 900 (948 cc) motor is smooth and vibe free. They no longer are making the z800 and the z1000 is for sale in Europe only, not USA, so you just may get your wish.
The Z1000 is also sold in Canada. MSRP here is $13,000. In comparison to that, the Z900 is a relative bargain at $9,700 and the Z800 was selling for $9,200 but remaining 2016s are deep discounted right now and selling for just $8,300. My local dealer had 2 on the floor for the SAME price as 2017 Z650: $7,900. That's tempting.

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
When what gets transfered?
I believe they were talking about the new lighter frame, but I saw some discussion on ADVrider about strength possibly being compromised as far as the Versys....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode