2017 Ducati Multistrada 950 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By saddlebag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950

Multistrada950Forum.com - The Largest Ducati Multistrada 950 Forum And Community!

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:19 AM

Garage
Nice bike, if you can afford the cost of ownership, and have the time to deal with the maintenance schedule.

And live close enough to a service center.

I am about midway between Nashville, Chattanooga, and Birmingham. All 3 dealers are on the opposite side of the city which makes riding there not so fun. Since US dealers don't do loaner bikes, that means two trips hauling a bike to get service.

Not bad for those who own a Ducati, but for those who ride a Ducati, it amounts to quite a hassle.

My Versys Travels:

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 06:40 AM

I don't think the maintenance is near as bad as it used to be.
I like the way the bags are molded to it doesn't look like it needs a "Wide Load" marking on it from behind.
Not clear to me why someone would buy it over say a V1k though. Just another sport tourer on stilts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I don't think the maintenance is near as bad as it used to be.
I like the way the bags are molded to it doesn't look like it needs a "Wide Load" marking on it from behind.
Not clear to me why someone would buy it over say a V1k though. Just another sport tourer on stilts.
Service intervals are less frequent indeed, but must still be performed by a Ducati trained tech.

Why choose a 90 degree Ducati twin over an inline 4 Versys 1000?
1. The prestige of the Ducati name.
2. The amazing sound of that engine.
3. The sexy Italian styling.
4. The depth of that beautiful Italian paint.
5. The suspension.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Service intervals are less frequent indeed, but must still be performed by a Ducati trained tech....
NOT true. My riding-neighbor-buddy back in BC has a Duc 1100 (multistrada...?) and he does his own desmo valve checks....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
NOT true. My riding-neighbor-buddy back in BC has a Duc 1100 (multistrada...?) and he does his own desmo valve checks....
Checking, and adjusting are not one in the same. What is your neighbors background nd skill level?

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Checking, and adjusting are not one in the same. What is your neighbors background nd skill level?
I agree that's more than a shadetree guy might want to undertake. When I owned mine, getting a box of shims from Duc was circa $4k dollars to Joe Public. I suppose you could order them as needed from Italy, but probably best to do it in winter if you don't want to chance missing the riding season.
That said, the brand's customer support is something that meant a lot to me. I put over 70k miles on a couple of Ducs and only had valves out of spec once. And that was because the chrome had flaked off the rockers due to a supplier's poor QC. Ducati put new ones in for me a year and many thousands of miles out of warranty.
Japanese have not been as good to me when it comes to warranty things, but Kaw has been an exception. They have fixed everything that's gone wrong with mine. I like the paint on my Kaw better than Ducs colors too...cept maybe the yellow and black scrambler.
Smiley likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:47 PM

Back in 2000's when I had my monster this wasn't a concern. However on the new ones it is. Not sure about elsewhere but the dealers here in DFW will not reset the light for you unless they have done the maintenance. You can buy the tool to reset the maintenance light for about $250.

I loved my monster but I had to put 3 tanks on it in 4 years because of swelling issues. Due to that and a few other issues Ducati will have a hard time ever convincing me to return. Of the group of 6 of us that all had Ducs in 2000's only 2 of us still ride them today.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calscrazy View Post
Back in 2000's when I had my monster this wasn't a concern. However on the new ones it is. Not sure about elsewhere but the dealers here in DFW will not reset the light for you unless they have done the maintenance. You can buy the tool to reset the maintenance light for about $250.

I loved my monster but I had to put 3 tanks on it in 4 years because of swelling issues. Due to that and a few other issues Ducati will have a hard time ever convincing me to return. Of the group of 6 of us that all had Ducs in 2000's only 2 of us still ride them today.
The tank thing wasn't Duc's fault. They work fine in Italy and anywhere that doesn't put corn in fuel.
I read not long ago that after that debacle, Duc bought a bunch of our ethanol fuel to study. They decided to make tanks from aluminum...
I'm wondering if these wrenches are some sort of EU requirement. My new Triumph has the same thing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:33 PM

I work for Ford Motor Company. If it has your name on it it is your responsibility... trust me. After the second replacement when the dealer tells me that this one will fail also and I will have to buy the next one then as far as I am concerned our business is done.

We didn't make Firestone tires, brake switches, airbags or the 6.0 but the vehicle it is in has our logo therefore it is our responsibility.

Last edited by calscrazy; 12-19-2016 at 02:35 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 08:09 PM

The original Multistrada was a bit pricey and had more power than I really needed or could utilize without severely jeopardizing my license. (50kpm/30mph over the posted limit results in a license suspension for 6 months and DUI insurance rates should you choose to reapply for a drivers license after the suspension period.) This seems about perfect. I also like they have chosen the new tire size standard for adventure bikes, 120/70-19 on the front and 170/60-17 on the back. Hope to test ride one this coming season. I got to test ride a MV Agusta Tourismo Velece this past season which spec wise is very comparable. The level of refinement blew me away, it will be interesting to see how this compares. Ducati reliability is better than either BMW or HD and close to that of the Japanese manufacturers. Parts can be expensive though although Audi/VW's purchase of the company is said to have sorted out the parts problem.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-26-2017 at 08:23 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can't say for sure, however his garage has the Duc and a BMW 650 Dakar which he does his own maintenance on. He DOES adjust his valves - watched him do it last summer, but "do I WANT one...?"

NOT in this lifetime!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:32 PM

Looking forward to test riding the Versys 1000 and Multistrada 950 this season. Not much difference in the list price. The Kawi is $15,300CDN with hard bags, it's not sold without in Canada, and the Duc is $16K CDN.

The Versys seems like the more logical choice with Japanese reliability but the Duc tugs on the heart strings a little more plus it is 50lbs less weight.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Looking forward to test riding the Versys 1000 and Multistrada 950 this season. Not much difference in the list price. The Kawi is $15,300CDN with hard bags, it's not sold without in Canada, and the Duc is $16K CDN.

The Versys seems like the more logical choice with Japanese reliability but the Duc tugs on the heart strings a little more plus it is 50lbs less weight.

Get rid of the heavy exhaust of the V-1000 and eat more fiber and you'll see a drop of 50lbs....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Get rid of the heavy exhaust of the V-1000 and eat more fiber and you'll see a drop of 50lbs....
And ditch the centerstand for another 10-15 lbs.

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode