Left the Versys home for this trip. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ronheater70
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Left the Versys home for this trip.

Kind of glad I did as I stalled out twice on some of these pretty deep river crossings. Stalling out would have flooded the engine through the exhaust. Would that have been correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM

Don't know the answer to your question, but great video. What did you ride instead of your V??

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:38 PM

Garage
Versys, no big deal...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:52 AM

Cool

Nice camera work. That looks like a fun ride.

On the V, just keep the engine running, throttle open, and rpms up, and the exhaust will just blow through the water, even when submerged.

On the V, the air intake is on top of the engine, so it would be best to ride at the right speed - so that the wake stays out of the intake track. If it sucks too much water, it will stall.

Just slip the clutch to control your speed and keep the engine running.

Last edited by trialsguy; 11-17-2016 at 08:54 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
...Just slip the clutch to control your speed and keep the engine running.
no way am i going to be slipping the clutch on a water crossing, never, i've got controls on the the hand bar to control speed. hundreds of water crossings with these ptwin low exhaust motos, including the motor running under water. just be sensible, they're hard to kill.

this crossing had a segmented concrete mat on the bottom because log trucks were using the road, but the water was still clear. clear water in a crossing is deeper than it looks 100% of the time, so if there's any question on depth, somebody has to walk it...or volunteer to go first.

muddy water is bad, can't see the depth, or what's on the bottom. fast water is also bad, it can push you off the desirable line you've already scouted. fast muddy water is the worst.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:29 AM

Different strokes for different folks...

I ride Trials. I'm used to slipping my clutch to control my speed. So... that's what I do.

I agree that there other ways to ride water crossing that also work. Your method would probably for just fine for the average rider.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks...
i've never heard a single rider say they slipped a clutch in a water crossing, or observed anyone doing it either, no matter what bike they were on. Trials yes, water crossings no, it's a recipe for an unfortunate outcome.

lots of water crossings around here, an average loop could see a dozen or more per day, some small, some significant. always rocky, sometimes deep, and when you get across you often need to claw your way out of the bottom on a steep ascent. that means clutch engaged, and on the gas all the way.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:50 AM

jd,

In your water crossings with your V, have you determined how deep it can get before water makes its way into the air intake? Does the "bow wave" from the front of the bike help keep water away from the top of the engine/air intake? About what speed is best for water crossing on a V?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:20 AM

Most of my background is off-road riding. I tend to slip the clutch running into an unknown or rough stream crossing with large boulders. it helps control the bike. It also helps to overcome a nasty slick bank on the other side sometimes. I understand what JD is saying though, those look like pretty mild crossings, and simply motoring through works well in those situations.
trialsguy likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Most of my background is off-road riding. I tend to slip the clutch running into an unknown or rough stream crossing with large boulders. it helps control the bike. It also helps to overcome a nasty slick bank on the other side sometimes. I understand what JD is saying though, those look like pretty mild crossings, and simply motoring through works well in those situations.
Yep. So much depends on the conditions (depth of water, firmness or softness of stream bed, variability of traction/streambed, etc.). When I mentioned slipping the clutch, I was also thinking - engaging the clutch/applying power / traction at just the right time, when needed. I was thinking about the easy crossing shown in the video (above), keeping the power on enough to keep forward motion, but not be moving so fast as splash water into the intake, depending on how soft or how rough the stream bottom is. If the bottom is soft and mucky, go faster. If the route up the opposite bank is steep, go faster. If the stream bed is firm, with scattered watermelon sized rocks scattered randomly throughout, ride slower and slip the clutch, but keep moving. And be ready to dump the clutch to ride up the opposite bank.

Here's a couple of other ways to do a water crossing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ben-hemmingway-red-bull-romaniacs-2013-water-crossing.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	101266   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_67321.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	101274  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
jd,

About what speed is best for water crossing on a V?
too many variables, but if the water is too deep, too fast, or the bottom too broken, i'm not going in there. sometimes the backtrack is painful, but at least i'm riding, not walking.

30-36" of water in these, didn't cross, long backtrack out.

24" of water, crossed, but hit a submerged log in the channel when pushed off my line, barely made it out.

the ends of the intake runners are high and slanted towards the top of the box. the air filter is oiled. if you try hard enough, you can get the motor to ingest water...but you're probably doing something unwise when it happens.

if you find yourself doing water crossings regularly, make sure the crankcase breather is clamped tight. that connection will be under water long before there's any danger of water in the airbox.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:22 PM

Garage
sometimes you need to scout, yeah, you'll get wet, but i was facing a big backtrack and reroute that ended up taking about 3 hours out of what was already a short day.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Deepest water depth I've crossed (riding a CanAm 400 Qualifier) was just shy of 36". The air-intake was behind the front number plate/ headlight, and you COULD cross deeper as long as you kept enough speed to keep the 'bow-wave' hitting the number plate. Took a LOT of nerve the FIRST time...!

I rode in the QTRF (FIM enduros) back then, and once the club set-up a "How deep can YOU ride?" course during a field day, up a steam. One guy attached a home-made "snorkel" to his intake, then routed the snorkel INSIDE his riding shirt so the top was about equal w/ his helmet.

Worked FINE until he skidded, went down, and could NOT get clear of his bike because of the snorkel's routing. Several of us dived in to save his bacon, but he admitted it'd scared the crap out of him...!

trialsguy likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode