Anyone ever heard of this make of bike?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Question Anyone ever heard of this make of bike??

Obviously a Chinese rip off, & I did read somewhere that some States don't recognise them for registration purposes, but the price looks OK & the couple of videos l've seen on Youtube give it the thumbs up.....

250cc Dirt Bike For Sale Street legal | Hawk 250cc Dirt Bike| 250cc dual sports bike for sale | 250cc Dirt Bike For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:30 PM

Garage
If it is a direct rip off where you can get maintenance and repair parts from the big four, it would be worth the risk.

Otherwise, getting parts to keep them running could be a nightmare.

Parts supply chains are the biggest challenge to keeping the bike operating. Way too many Lifan bikes sitting dead in people's back yards.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:30 PM

everything you could ever hope to learn about the HAWK here
Dual Sport/Enduro - ChinaRiders Forums

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If it is a direct rip off where you can get maintenance and repair parts from the big four, it would be worth the risk.

Otherwise, getting parts to keep them running could be a nightmare.

Parts supply chains are the biggest challenge to keeping the bike operating. Way too many Lifan bikes sitting dead in people's back yards.
it is mostly the same as the CSC tt250 which will ensure a good stock of repair parts. there are other sources too but they are straight from china so take a month to get what you need.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Biz

Do yourself a favor and walk away. A Chinese made bike is engineered to fail. Whatever value you think you had will be a distant memory, trust me, I know first hand how they engineer EVERYTHING to minimal spec.
binderline likes this.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 05:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz View Post
Do yourself a favor and walk away. A Chinese made bike is engineered to fail. Whatever value you think you had will be a distant memory, trust me, I know first hand how they engineer EVERYTHING to minimal spec.
What viable first hand information do you posses? Have you ever heard of CSC RX3 Cyclone Adventure? That has a better FACTORY warranty than our Versys do... It's been tested and ridden 5000 miles in Baja with minimal problems. SO is this bike engineered to fail?
I remember back in the 60's when everyone was bashing "Jap" bikes the same way when they first started showing up in the US.
kohburn and LuckyStrike128 like this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 10:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
What viable first hand information do you posses? Have you ever heard of CSC RX3 Cyclone Adventure? That has a better FACTORY warranty than our Versys do... It's been tested and ridden 5000 miles in Baja with minimal problems. SO is this bike engineered to fail?
I remember back in the 60's when everyone was bashing "Jap" bikes the same way when they first started showing up in the US.

Comparing "Jap" bikes of the 60's to today's Chinese crap is a stretch....apples to oranges. WWII enemy mindset was still a recent memory back then so anything made overseas was highly suspect. Can you think of a single product from mainland China that is not far inferior in construction, material, design, and engineering than a like product from anywhere else in the world?

Binderline
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:42 AM

you can find crap manufacturing in any country and quality manufacturing in any country. its not that china can't make things of high quality, it's that high quality is rarely demanded of them, low price takes priority.
there are many high quality Chinese components that people never notice because they are "assembled" or whatever in another country to avoid the "made in china" label.

hawks have their share of low quality parts but the engine is fine.
bashan storm is a little better
and then the zongshen (csc) tt250 is the top end
they all share a bunch of parts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 06:16 AM

My Experience is yes, they are inferior, mostly in chassis, shocks, etc.. however I bought my son one when he was in that in between stage to small for a larger bike, to big for a 50 etc..It was a 90 cc.. I knew he only needed it for about 9 months then he could have enough height to jump to something bigger. We ran that thing into the ground, all of us adults did as well,, it did everything my other sons xr80 did, just with a little less finesse..The engine was bullet proof, It was wrung out to within an inch of its life many times as he struggled to keep up with us on bigger bikes. Engine and transmission never so much as hiccupped, the shocks were springy, and the rear brake pedal was flimsy, but it never failed to start and run, and run perfectly for the year we had it and abused it. I recall I paid something like 490 bucks for the thing, had to put it together myself. it was a VERY good bargain!

So you go into knowing there may be a little more maintenance, a little less performance, etc.. but then again, you usually pay less than 1/2 that of a Japanese rival, and you have to weigh that in the mix. I would have zero issue owning one as a commuter bike, occasional dirt road/ trail bike.. etc.

Last edited by ronheater70; 06-29-2016 at 06:20 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
Comparing "Jap" bikes of the 60's to today's Chinese crap is a stretch....apples to oranges. WWII enemy mindset was still a recent memory back then so anything made overseas was highly suspect. Can you think of a single product from mainland China that is not far inferior in construction, material, design, and engineering than a like product from anywhere else in the world?
Did you read my post? I believe I mentioned ONE product, if it is as you say "far inferior" why does it have a longer warranty than our bikes do?
Sure there is lots of China made stuff that IS substandard in quality and performance. But I believe there are exceptions to the rule.

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:13 AM

I looked at their website - I wonder why the 200cc dual sport costs $250 more than their 250cc dual sport?

Is the 3 month warranty better than what you get for a Versys?

I've been buying and using Chinese power tools for decades (from Harbor Freight, since 1982) . I still have them all, and they are all still working fine. They are inexpensive, some are a little clunky, some are not. They don't get used every day, but they sure are nice to have around when you need them.

Hmmm... I wonder how much they'd want for just an engine? I have a mountain bike that I'd like to motorize and play with...
binderline likes this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Did you read my post? I believe I mentioned ONE product, if it is as you say "far inferior" why does it have a longer warranty than our bikes do?
Sure there is lots of China made stuff that IS substandard in quality and performance. But I believe there are exceptions to the rule.
You're right. We are talking about one product. My apologies. But I have become cynical of the disposable crap that eventually gets tossed in our landfills that comes from China. Planned obsolescence is alive and well and there is a heavy price to pay, if not initially then at a time in the not so distant future.

Binderline
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I think it's a case of "You get what you pay for" but as a couple of you have experienced, they don't all fall apart & just keep on keeping on!!!
Unfortunately we usually only hear the horror stories rather than everyday people's stories who get good value by using Chinese products & saving a shed load of money.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I looked at their website - I wonder why the 200cc dual sport costs $250 more than their 250cc dual sport?

Is the 3 month warranty better than what you get for a Versys?

I've been buying and using Chinese power tools for decades (from Harbor Freight, since 1982) . I still have them all, and they are all still working fine. They are inexpensive, some are a little clunky, some are not. They don't get used every day, but they sure are nice to have around when you need them.

Hmmm... I wonder how much they'd want for just an engine? I have a mountain bike that I'd like to motorize and play with...
I saw THIS: All RX3s Come Standard With A 2 Years Parts & 1 Year Labor Warranty
Additional Protection Plans Available

Where did you see the 3 month warranty?
Putting one of their motors on a mountain bike would be a HOOT!

2011 ADVersys

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 12:56 PM

think he meant the non-csc china bike seller. csc doesn't have a 200cc.

if you decide to get one of them avoid safer wholesale, they have a lawsuit for defrauding Illinoise residents of an estimated 350,000$
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
The CSC RX3 Cyclone looks awesome. I would love to see & ride on in person. I really considered preordering one.

I agree the factories in China can produce any level of quality. Both the iPhone and Samsung phones are made there. They are top-notch devices.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
You're right. We are talking about one product. My apologies. But I have become cynical of the disposable crap that eventually gets tossed in our landfills that comes from China. Planned obsolescence is alive and well and there is a heavy price to pay, if not initially then at a time in the not so distant future.
I believe this is American-driven and not China-driven. American consumers and American companies (who manufacture in China) cause the demand for low-quality low-priced goods.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Biz

Quote:
Well sir, I work directly with the Chinese. I am forced to do so because of the low cost they offer the company. My company would rather apologize for selling crap, than sell a quality product they're proud of, but it's their business. The Chinese will give you a quality prototype and then proceed to cheat quality and quantity on every component they can. I have a good friend that sells aftermarket Harley compatible parts made in China... they suffered the same fate and it nearly sank their business in buybacks and recalled junk. You can believe whatever you wish sir, however, I have to deal with the Chinese on a daily basis.
And to answer your question, I am sure the bikes they submitted for torturous Baja testing were made to withstand it. Not what they will sell to you. That is altogether different quality. I could tell you stories of how they game the system all night long.

Last edited by Biz; 06-29-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added thought.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz View Post
Well sir, I work directly with the Chinese. I am forced to do so because of the low cost they offer the company. My company would rather apologize for selling crap, than sell a quality product they're proud of, but it's their business. The Chinese will give you a quality prototype and then proceed to cheat quality and quantity on every component they can. I have a good friend that sells aftermarket Harley compatible parts made in China... they suffered the same fate and it nearly sank their business in buybacks and recalled junk. You can believe whatever you wish sir, however, I have to deal with the Chinese on a daily basis.
And to answer your question, I am sure the bikes they submitted for torturous Baja testing were made to withstand it. Not what they will sell to you. That is altogether different quality. I could tell you stories of how they game the system all night long.
I believe this is true. I'll bet it's hard to hold some China factories to a quality standard. Apple, Samsung, and many others have learned how to do it though.

I read a great book, Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the China Production Game, it describes the same antics you described. In one example, a company's plastic shampoo bottles kept getting thinner and thinner, as the factory in China kept trying to cut costs. The US company didn't notice until the bottles got so thin they started arriving broken.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I believe this is American-driven and not China-driven. American consumers and American companies (who manufacture in China) cause the demand for low-quality low-priced goods.
Yes, it is most definitely American driven. But that does not make it any more acceptable. Only the ignorant at this point no not what they are contributing to. I make it a habit of trying to avoid chinese "goods" at all costs. It's not easy. But in the case of the chinacycle it most definitely is.

Binderline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode