Have you ever owned or ridden a Kawa ZRX1100? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 02:13 PM

Garage
Heres something to put around on....2000 Kawasaki W650 - TWT Forums

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

After the pain my back gave me today on a 100mile bimble with the missus I might go back to an MX5 & just use the Versys on "good back" days...............

PS, that WR650 is a nice looking bike & is a direct rip off of the Bonneville.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
After the pain my back gave me today on a 100mile bimble with the missus I might go back to an MX5 & just use the Versys on "good back" days...............

I am heading that direction myself, but I am going down fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
PS, that WR650 is a nice looking bike & is a direct rip off of the Bonneville.
You say this like we should be surprised. That is one thing the Japanese have done very well. They have copied Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Triumph, Harley, and even Indian. Don't think that they thought highly enough of BMW to copy the Boxer.

My Versys Travels:

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:37 AM

I just saw this. I'm on my second ZRX1200.
If the OP (or anybody) is interested in what amounts to one of the greatest bikes ever made, I can offer some incite.

It makes an awesome tourer as well as a backroad bomber.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I just saw this. I'm on my second ZRX1200.
If the OP (or anybody) is interested in what amounts to one of the greatest bikes ever made, I can offer some incite.

It makes an awesome tourer as well as a backroad bomber.
Is there a touring windscreen available?

If Kawasaki would come out with an Eddie Lawson Tribute bike with fuel injection, modern brakes, suspension, etc. and of course in Racing Green I would be on board. Not interested in owning a 4 carb bike with spongy suspension and flexing front forks.

My Versys Travels:

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Is there a touring windscreen available?

If Kawasaki would come out with an Eddie Lawson Tribute bike with fuel injection, modern brakes, suspension, etc. and of course in Racing Green I would be on board. Not interested in owning a 4 carb bike with spongy suspension and flexing front forks.
There are touring windshields available but in my mind they make the bike look dorky and the protection they deliver is negligible.
I toured cross country in my ZRX1200 and the stock windscreen on that quarter fairing is good up to 75-80 MPH GPS.

As far as the suspension is concerned, compared to the 650 Versys, the ZRX is far superior. The Versys is very harsh with a lot of front end dive. Driven normally the ZRX is fine. If you want to push it then either good aftermarket shocks or you can revalve and respring the stock setup, which is what I did.
If the fork flexes then you must be an expert racer to have noticed. There is of course a fork brace available and it does make a slight difference although that is highly debated.

Carbs, I like them. The ZRX motor feels electric with properly maintained carbs. No FI system can be as good.
True, you must winterized your bike properly but for daily driving they present no problems.
I've owned two Rexs' over the course of fifteen years and had to rebuild the carbs ONCE. And that was only because the PO had let the bike sit for a couple of years without taking precautions.

The ZRX is a simple reliable bike with gobs of torque and excitement as opposed to the Versys which is also reliable but is about as exciting as a Toyota Corolla. You choose. I have both.

From 2006-2008 there is the DAEG ZRX with FI but it is not for sale in the US. It makes less power than the carbed models.

The 1200 2001-2005 candy green color is much nicer than the jade green found on the 1100's.

If you don't want one, (and I'd go for the 1200 over the 1100), it's a free country. But you're missing out.

Hope this helps.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
There are touring windshields available but in my mind they make the bike look dorky and the protection they deliver is negligible.
I toured cross country in my ZRX1200 and the stock windscreen on that quarter fairing is good up to 75-80 MPH GPS.

As far as the suspension is concerned, compared to the 650 Versys, the ZRX is far superior. The Versys is very harsh with a lot of front end dive. Driven normally the ZRX is fine. If you want to push it then either good aftermarket shocks or you can revalve and respring the stock setup, which is what I did.
If the fork flexes then you must be an expert racer to have noticed. There is of course a fork brace available and it does make a slight difference although that is highly debated.

Carbs, I like them. The ZRX motor feels electric with properly maintained carbs. No FI system can be as good.
True, you must winterized your bike properly but for daily driving they present no problems.
I've owned two Rexs' over the course of fifteen years and had to rebuild the carbs ONCE. And that was only because the PO had let the bike sit for a couple of years without taking precautions.

The ZRX is a simple reliable bike with gobs of torque and excitement as opposed to the Versys which is also reliable but is about as exciting as a Toyota Corolla. You choose. I have both.

From 2006-2008 there is the DAEG ZRX with FI but it is not for sale in the US. It makes less power than the carbed models.

The 1200 2001-2005 candy green color is much nicer than the jade green found on the 1100's.

If you don't want one, (and I'd go for the 1200 over the 1100), it's a free country. But you're missing out.

Hope this helps.
Oh, I want one. Rode my Buddy's quite a lot before he moved away. We would always switch bikes on rides since he gravitated toward full on SS bikes and I gravitated toward touring and sport touring. The ZRX1200 was his most tame motorcycle. He preferred the I-4 bikes, and I prefer the singles and twins.

I want one, but just can't go back to a carb bike. I have a couple carb thumpers, but they are easy to maintain.

Like I said, if Kawasaki comes out with a tribute bike in green that is modern, I would love to have it.

Came close to buying the new CB1100 but it was too '70s in its handling. Glad I was able to test ride in in the mountains.

My Versys Travels:

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, I want one. Rode my Buddy's quite a lot before he moved away. We would always switch bikes on rides since he gravitated toward full on SS bikes and I gravitated toward touring and sport touring. The ZRX1200 was his most tame motorcycle. He preferred the I-4 bikes, and I prefer the singles and twins.

I want one, but just can't go back to a carb bike. I have a couple carb thumpers, but they are easy to maintain.

Like I said, if Kawasaki comes out with a tribute bike in green that is modern, I would love to have it.

Came close to buying the new CB1100 but it was too '70s in its handling. Glad I was able to test ride in in the mountains.
The ZRX fuels beautifully and perfectly with its carbs but yes, you have to be on constant guard against the effects of gas going bad.
In that regard the FI is better.
I always add some Stabil to the gas even during the riding season if I know the ZRX will be sitting for as little as two or three weeks. And I always top off my tank after every ride, even if the ride was only 20 miles. But I do the same for the Versys.

Like I said, I have no problems but I am vigilant.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
The ZRX fuels beautifully and perfectly with its carbs but yes, you have to be on constant guard against the effects of gas going bad.
In that regard the FI is better.
I always add some Stabil to the gas even during the riding season if I know the ZRX will be sitting for as little as two or three weeks. And I always top off my tank after every ride, even if the ride was only 20 miles. But I do the same for the Versys.

Like I said, I have no problems but I am vigilant.
I do the same with all my bikes. Living in the humid southeast means being diligent with anything adversely affected by humidity.

My Versys Travels:

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I do the same with all my bikes. Living in the humid southeast means being diligent with anything adversely affected by humidity.
OK then, you know everything you need to know. If you take care of them they'll give you no problem.

One other thing, the valve train uses finger followers. They slide to the side to change the shims. You don't have to remove the cams to adjust the valves.

Also, the cops really don't bother you around town because, unless they're into bikes, they think it's an old restored bike and your just airing it out. Do the same thing on a race replica and you get a ticket for speeding.
twowheeladdict likes this.

Last edited by blipco; 02-11-2017 at 06:21 PM.
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:

As far as the suspension is concerned, compared to the 650 Versys, the ZRX is far superior.
I think TWA is recalling articles written about Eddie Lawson and how he used to ride around his racebike's inadequacies. I owned a ZRX too. Rode the pee out of it. Even took it to the track. There wasn't a thing wrong with it's suspension. And its carbs fuel phenomenally well. I remember thinking back in the day how crappy life was going to be living with all these new herky jerky fuel injected bikes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lisa in snow2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	115369

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I think TWA is recalling articles written about Eddie Lawson and how he used to ride around his racebike's inadequacies. I owned a ZRX too. Rode the pee out of it. Even took it to the track. There wasn't a thing wrong with it's suspension. And its carbs fuel phenomenally well. I remember thinking back in the day how crappy life was going to be living with all these new herky jerky fuel injected bikes.

Attachment 115369
Ahh, nice. My first Rex was an 02 green. Now I have an 04 Red.
Yes, the carburetion on the Rex is flawless. No fuel injected bike can be as good. All FI bikes, I don't care which, Versys included, will have a glitch somewhere in their operating range. It may take a while to find it but it's there. I've owned a ZRX since 2002 and have yet to see a flaw in its fueling. It is perfect.
When I bought my 04 around four years ago the suspension was fine but it needed going over. Since I was taking it apart I may as well upgrade it with springs to match my weight and better valving. It is in fact improved.
The ZRX is a big bike and fine but is easy to get out of shape when pushed hard. The upgrades have helped in that respect. For normal riding it is fine as stock.
saddlebag likes this.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1323_1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	115377

I've owned and loved ZRX's for years. Great bikes and cheap excellent examples can be found.

Check out the; ZRXOA or even ZRX facebook.

Versatile Versys
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
For normal riding it is fine as stock.
Y B normal?

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode