2016 Versys Custom - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

190Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2016 Versys Custom

The new 2016 V649HP-RF...

The build thread is located HERE.

These Versys based bikes are fun to build, perform very well in a variety of conditions, and are inexpensive. This bike cost $1500, turnkey, 1848 miles.
onewizard, kojack, jrider and 8 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:00 AM

Garage
Nice! I didn't go through all 189 or so pages. Was all that for this build, or chronicle several builds? Reason I ask is because it looked like 6 years of posts.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Nice! I didn't go through all 189 or so pages. Was all that for this build, or chronicle several builds? Reason I ask is because it looked like 6 years of posts.
several Versys builds in that thread, with coverage of the bike in the photo starting around page 153. as a whole, the thread covers how the V649 series was conceived and then slammed together on a budget. the current bike is the most expensive at $1500, but another was built for half that number. the V649s have all been built with the higher performance cop motor and big suspension, and will outrun any stock Versys...all roads, all conditions.

post #4 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
The new 2016 V649HP-RF...

The build thread is located HERE.

These Versys based bikes are fun to build, perform very well in a variety of conditions, and are inexpensive. This bike cost $1500, turnkey, 1848 miles.
Looks like the "Just right" bike to me..You really have an Artful hand in creating those bikes..Thats something I would buy, without a doubt. I do not have the time nor expertise available to recreate something like that or I would certainly try.
Cop motor, that's the Ninja 650R Motor correct?
post #5 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Cop motor, that's the Ninja 650R Motor correct?
the "cop" motor is better described as the ER6 sportbike motor because Kawasaki uses that motor across various model designations world-wide...ER6F, ER6N, Ninja 650, EX650, and so on.

these motors have more horsepower and torque than the stock Versys motor, including the new spec 2015-16 motor. before anyone emphatically states that the HP/torque curves aren't right for this kind of bike, forget about it...y'all are not about to win that argument here.

post #6 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

More Power

Quote:
the "cop" motor is better described as the ER6 sportbike motor because Kawasaki uses that motor across various model designations world-wide...ER6F, ER6N, Ninja 650, EX650, and so on.

these motors have more horsepower and torque than the stock Versys motor, including the new spec 2015-16 motor. before anyone emphatically states that the HP/torque curves aren't right for this kind of bike, forget about it...y'all are not about to win that argument here.
At first I thought of asking why you have so much time that this post could be happening----but I see the bike is complete

On a serious note, if you posted a for sale on this forum, you would never have time to ride IMHO---from what I see and what I know about you --that would be something to brag about owning---HOWEVER I would want a autograph and a dated picture
post #7 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but how much difference are we talking about? Is the torque curve similar to the Versys, and just more of it, or does the curve change much?
post #8 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
On a serious note, if you posted a for sale on this forum, you would never have time to ride IMHO---from what I see and what I know about you --that would be something to brag about owning---HOWEVER I would want a autograph and a dated picture...
anything for my Canuck friends.

these bikes are not for everyone. they're big bikes, pretty tall, 35-36" at the seat, something like 55" at the bar ends. if ya fall off, it's a long freakin' way down, kinda like fallin' off a twenty hand horse.

Eduardo is not exactly a short man, but he looks kinda short standing next to a V649. he didn't ask to take a little test ride, must not get along with horses. sorry about the undated photo, i think it's fairly recent, but who knows. it's not a real old photo, but the guy next to the bike is real old.

post #9 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but how much difference are we talking about? Is the torque curve similar to the Versys, and just more of it, or does the curve change much?
the curves are similar, with the sportbike motor producing 10-14% more, depending on who you believe. i have experience with the OEM Versys motor also, and the cop motor pulls harder all the way to redline at 11,500. the motor is tuned perfectly for 80 indicated cruise at 6k, and can significantly lighten the front end with roll-on throttle all the way to overdrive for off-pavement use.

post #10 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 AM

Garage
Quote:

these bikes are not for everyone. they're big bikes, pretty tall, 35-36" at the seat, something like 55" at the bar ends. if ya fall off, it's a long freakin' way down, kinda like fallin' off a twenty hand horse.

Eduardo is not exactly a short man, but he looks kinda short standing next to a V649. he didn't ask to take a little test ride, must not get along with horses. sorry about the undated photo, i think it's fairly recent, but who knows. it's not a real old photo, but the guy next to the bike is real old.

Providing the date was set on the camera, it says 10/28/2014, not that that will be enough for your stalker delta bravo.

post #11 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
Providing the date was set on the camera, it says 10/28/2014, not that that will be enough for your stalker delta bravo.
c'mon now, everyone knows it's easy to fake those camera clocks. plus, Eduardo probably doesn't even remember the bike, where he was standing, or when.

this photo might be fake too, it's the same V649HP-CS getting a sidecar rig added...

post #12 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
c'mon now, everyone knows it's easy to fake those camera clocks. plus, Eduardo probably doesn't even remember the bike, where he was standing, or when.

this photo might be fake too, it's the same V649HP-CS getting a sidecar rig added...

As I said, it won't be enough for your stalker.

post #13 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
And here's ANOTHER pic of the "rat-bike", beside the 'Big Man', taken about the same time, and - YES - his camera's date WAS set right...!

onewizard and twowheeladdict like this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
As I said, it won't be enough for your stalker.
could be, ya just never know.

post #15 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
And here's ANOTHER pic of the "rat-bike", beside the 'Big Man', taken about the same time, and - YES - his camera's date WAS set right...!

man, i miss riding out there, nothing like it. you probably want another shot at the AZBDR. i need to take the 2016 bike west.

post #16 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Well here in Canuck land we have them fold up step stools that we could deploy, or strap on a couple 6X6 pressure treated lumber on them riding boots, may get complicated shifting but, would be good as long as ya only needed first gear.

Better watch what I say, got a 1/4 drive torque wrench on the way--plus someone is rubbing in the fact it has hit 25'C in some parts of Canuck land, and for you guys, that is hot!
post #17 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...it has hit 25'C in some parts of Canuck land...
man, that's good news, the remaining 3 meters of snow on the ground should be gone in another month or so.

don't hurt yourself with that torque wrench, the thing is dangerous as heck in the wrong hands.

you should take a page from Eduardo's book, and use a string to deploy and retrieve some sort of contraption to enable you to ride the big horse. as your Canuck brother, i'm sure he'd be willing to give you some pointers.

post #18 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
the curves are similar, with the sportbike motor producing 10-14% more, depending on who you believe. i have experience with the OEM Versys motor also, and the cop motor pulls harder all the way to redline at 11,500. the motor is tuned perfectly for 80 indicated cruise at 6k, and can significantly lighten the front end with roll-on throttle all the way to overdrive for off-pavement use.
Of course sprocket choice makes a huge difference as well. My DRZ400S could only do 65, but it sure could get there in a hurry. Of course I never much went over 45 and most riding was at 30 or less.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
several Versys builds in that thread, with coverage of the bike in the photo starting around page 153. as a whole, the thread covers how the V649 series was conceived and then slammed together on a budget. the current bike is the most expensive at $1500, but another was built for half that number. the V649s have all been built with the higher performance cop motor and big suspension, and will outrun any stock Versys...all roads, all conditions.
I'm guessing your time is free? Win the lottery? If you figured $100 an hour you could be making, how much do one of those builds really cost?

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
man, i miss riding out there, nothing like it. you probably want another shot at the AZBDR. i need to take the 2016 bike west.
I'll ride w/ you AGAIN, either up N or down S, but, NOT the AZBDR...!

NEXT time I pick the roads. Remember how nice the FIRST 60 miles were

and the parts of AZ 288 to Young (after we BARELY survived the AZBDR to Globe)

w/ EVEN a bit of pavement...!

Altho' SOME of the AZBDR wasn't totally unrideable...

and had GREAT views.

twowheeladdict likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode