2016 Versys Custom - Page 7 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Dave - remember the 26th October '14...?

Seems to ME that we had "frost" on the saddles THAT morning TOO...! You go SEARCHIN' that stuff out...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:40 AM

Garage
The more I use my GPS, the more I realize its limitations. My Garmin 665 has done the black screen thing half a dozen or more times, usually when I have needed it most. It has always come back after a short time but each time my faith in it lessens just a bit.

Yes, always try to carry a backup map!
onewizard likes this.

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #123 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
we had free range cattle wandering around where we were camped, and Eduardo was running around like a rodeo cowboy at 4:45AM...looking for a black mesh bag holding a black key while it was still pitch black dark. if ya happen to think he's just an early bird, that's ok, as long as there's emphasis added on "bird".

after spending about 5 man hours looking for a lost key, it turned out that the key wasn't lost after all...**** a doodle doo.

lucky he found it, i was about to take his bike apart, he didn't need that rotor anyway.
I have a recommendation here for y'all - IF you ever disturb the "Big Guy's" sleep, better have a darned good reason WHY....

Listening to the bull elk bugling made being up that early, WORTH it...!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #124 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dave - I mentioned to a NEW member to be aware that, on the LEFT side of your motorcycle is a 'lever' known as a "side-stand" that MOST of us use to allow our bikes to 'rest' on, when we get off to take a pic....

But, I guess - whatever floats your boat....

onewizard likes this.

Ed

..)

post #125 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...i was just taking a break, and the bike shuts off automatically too....

Ed

..)

post #126 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Nonsense, kickstands just add weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Dave - I mentioned to a NEW member to be aware that, on the LEFT side of your motorcycle is a 'lever' known as a "side-stand" that MOST of us use to allow our bikes to 'rest' on, when we get off to take a pic....

post #127 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:52 PM

Garage
Quote:

You know even when you are leaning on the left side "Dirt/Mud Naps Happen" It's all part of the ADVenture..........

We rode thru some pretty CRAZY stuff that day

onewizard and PHX_Joe like this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #128 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
there are still people on the face of this good earth that claim the Versys can't go anywhere, but the photos always prove otherwise, keep 'em coming.

i've been on quite a few of the roads up there, but there's another Versys rider who has been on them all, and back in the day when the Versys had been available for only a few years. he did them all on 705s, no knobbies.
Notice how you 'Murricans () come to CANADA to find the "GOOD" roads, Dave and Jeff...!

onewizard and AlaskaJeff like this.

Ed

..)

post #129 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...i'd rather toss the side stand than that bottle of bourbon i carry around....
And I will say that THIS gentleman from Virginny is NOT TOO CHEAP to share that good whiskey w/ a Canuck, in the barren wilds of 'Arid'zony....

- -
onewizard likes this.

Ed

..)

post #130 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
yeah, good roads in the sense that they're bad enough to enjoy, and notice how we manage to ride those roads without totaling the bike, unlike...well, i wouldn't want to bring up a sore subject.
Mebbe SO, but I rode "Mr Write-Off" back down 500 miles of the Dempster, then down the Alcan for another 3K kms to home to be 'written-off'....

Ed

..)

post #131 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
heck, that was just a scratch or two.

rat bike 1 was hit by a grain truck in Montana, flipped upside down, then dragged down the road under the grain body. even the trooper said it was totaled, but i rode it home 4500km. never bothered to file an insurance claim, just fixed it up and sold it.
I WILL 'give you' that BOTH the rat bike AND it's rider are WAY-Y-Y tougher than THIS Canuck is , but WE are better lookin'...!

onewizard likes this.

Ed

..)

post #132 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Nothing like stirring the Pot

Quote:
I WILL 'give you' that BOTH the rat bike AND it's rider are WAY-Y-Y tougher than THIS Canuck is , but WE are better lookin'...!

So what became of Kwik Mart Kronicles with the H as in Khronicles

Seems like this thread is getting sidetracked , may need to do some moding here
post #133 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
i'm too busy shopping for my next ride, but now i've found the perfect platform...trim the valence, swap in the big suspension, aggressive tires, man, i'm good to go.

I suppose that is ONE way to end up w/out a side-car, but STILL have that extra wheel for when your balance gets a BIT off....

...And it wouldn't be an H-D or 'Wing tricycle...!

I imagine you could STILL attach a set of those "streamers" like the H-Ds attach to their hand grips (AVAILABLE in 'pink', I'm pretty sure...).

onewizard likes this.

Ed

..)

post #134 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Dave - just reading my latest issue of MOTORCYCLIST, and they say that the '17 Ninja 650 has a new frame. Here's a quote from their article: "...there is a new frame that Kawasaki says saves an astonishing 42 pounds, bringing the curb weight down to a claimed 423 pounds... using a trellis of thin steel tubes instead of the thick dual tubes of the previous model....".

The Versys isn't mentioned, but I wonder....

Ed

..)

post #135 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

IF you hadn't put these pics in, I was going to put a link to your ADV posts on it.

IN FRIGGIN CREDIBLE!

Ed

..)

post #136 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Cup/ Cone

Quote:
got out my trusty bearing race installer, new tapered roller bearings at the steering stem to replace the crappy OEM caged ball bearings that have been used on this series of bikes since they were introduced. i'd bet it might cost 25 cents to install the better bearings, hard to figure these things.

i don't have a set of bearing race drivers, and this little shop built tool does the job just fine. use the old race to fully seat the new race the last 2mm.

Just to be clear, I know what you mean, you obviously know, however, you are pressing in the cup portion of the tapered roller and using the old race to seat it. The reason I say this , is I have seen others install them backwards, once installed , they are garbage.
quexpress likes this.
post #137 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Looks pretty jdrocks.

You thinkin' of calling it "Quasimodo"...?

Ed

..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode