2016 Versys Custom - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

189Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Huh...?

geeeeeez, you get immersed in Mexican culture for 6 months, then two weeks back in BC you've already forgotten all your Spanglish slang.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
OK, good. I know running the V strom cast wheels work. and you have a lot of seat time But our roads here, have taken out more cast Adventure wheels than I care to remember, most are Suzuki and the varadero was the other big culprit. At least with a spoked wheel, I will bend it, and can still get home. That's the biggest issue for me. So, I could probably machine the DL650 spoked hub to accept the 20mm bearing and all should be good then? I can get that done fairly easy.
i didn't bend any wheels up there, 2000 miles of gravel on that trip.

i haven't had my hands on that DL spoked hub, so if you plan to use it, make sure it matches the dimensions of the cast hub on the DL650/1000. same with the rear hub.

other that that, the wheel fits like the DL1000 cast wheel, very easy if you remember that write-up. you need 300mm rotors, and you can turn the DL from 310 to 300, or go with new 300mm after-market rotors. in the States, 300mm OEM Suzuki rotors are often found used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

awesome. thanks. I will see if I can find a used set of DL650s and go from there.

post #44 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

If you were only on the trans lab. nope you wouldn't. if you used our woods roads where you could be clipping along at 60mph nice smooth and out of no where a 6-8" diameter bolder will be in the dust cloud of the bike in front of you. that's what happens mostly here. its lone bastards in the roads while you are traveling at a good clip. and then there are the huge potholes in our highways. I just like the safety net of the spoked wheel.
post #45 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
If you were only on the trans lab. nope you wouldn't...
Trans Taiga, Longue Pointe, and Route du Nord on that trip besides 389 and the Trans Lab. plenty of rough gravel road.

post #46 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

How much am I looking at to get a set of Vwheels? I want the pair. And I can run the dual discs up front right?
post #47 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

its hard to see whats going on without the parts in front of me. I may have to pick up a set of cast wheels to run until I get the laced to me and then I can machine what needs to be done....
post #48 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
its hard to see whats going on without the parts in front of me. I may have to pick up a set of cast wheels to run until I get the laced to me and then I can machine what needs to be done....
like i said, call Woody's to see if he can build a set using the new DL650 spoked hubs with a heavy duty Excel rim.

using all new Suzuki parts including the proprietary rim, you'll be well north of $2000 for a set. a set of RAD/excel wheels for the DL650/1000 cost the same as the RAD set for the Versys...about $1800USD. too bad, no more RAD.

when they were in business and i wanted a set of RAD spokes, i would have used the Versys rear and the DL front. the Versys front hub is too wide for the DRZ fork setup. RAD advertised a spoked front hub for both Wee and V, but it was the same hub with different bearings.

here's a price point comparision...Chinese wheels

Last edited by jdrocks; 04-24-2016 at 10:15 AM.
post #49 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
geeeeeez, you get immersed in Mexican culture for 6 months, then two weeks back in BC you've already forgotten all your Spanglish slang.
Por favor, Senor...!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #50 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
una más azul, Por favor, Senor...!

you tried that in BC?...figures.

post #51 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 PM

Not bad at all.... Love the red colored frame though.
post #52 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kive-rider View Post
Not bad at all.... Love the red colored frame though.
thanks, that red frame should cause some confusion, especially with the pair of "Sport Prova" die cuts that are applied on the fairings.

post #53 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Ha ha ha. did you paint or powdercoat? I have a 8ft long powder coating oven in my shop. can do ALOT of stuff in that!
post #54 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Ha ha ha. did you paint or powdercoat? I have a 8ft long powder coating oven in my shop. can do ALOT of stuff in that!
i forgot that you opened up a custom bike shop up there, how did that work out?

my stuff is all sprayed with urethane, and sometimes clearcoat, depending.

be nice to have an oven big enough for frames. eventually i might try to do some powdercoat myself.

post #55 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, Still going through the red tape from the town here. its all ready to go. I made sure I bought an oven big enough to fit chasis of mountain sleds in...I cannot wait to get a few fix r uppers to build. 300 hp sub 500 lb snowmobiles WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
post #56 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
thanks, that red frame should cause some confusion, especially with the pair of "Sport Prova" die cuts that are applied on the fairings.
post #57 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

JD. I just priced the Vstrom complete spoked wheels from my local dealer, they are not near as bad as I thought they would be. so you figure I can machine out the hub for the 20mm axle? what else would be needed? anything for the rear? you can PM me with this if you want instead of clogging up here. I am looking for the complete breakdown of what I need.

1400 bucks tax in Canadian funds for the front and rear wheel! NOT BAD at all.
post #58 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:39 AM

I want to know more about the sidecar mounting points to the V frame.

really want to make a sidecar in the next few years.
post #59 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I want to know more about the sidecar mounting points to the V frame.

really want to make a sidecar in the next few years.

contact High Octane on ADVrider, he can fill you in on the details. the rig in the photo was not complete at the time, but probably is now. sidecar details to match the V649 for South Dakota gravel road travel.

post #60 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

JD. pm'ed you about the wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode