2016 Versys Custom - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

190Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Of course sprocket choice makes a huge difference as well. My DRZ400S could only do 65, but it sure could get there in a hurry. Of course I never much went over 45 and most riding was at 30 or less.
i run stock gearing on these bikes, but i've always been tempted to run a 47 rear. might do it yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I'm guessing your time is free? Win the lottery? If you figured $100 an hour you could be making, how much do one of those builds really cost?
building these things is just a winter hobby...putting a cost on labor would be like asking a guy who likes to fish what a pound of his catch really costs.

anyway, someone ends up paying for a good chuck of labor when i sell the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I'll ride w/ you AGAIN, either up N or down S, but, NOT the AZBDR...!

NEXT time I pick the roads...
the roads you pick are way too tame, some are even paved.

post #24 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
it's just a hobby, everything's under control...

post #25 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
a pair of Versys bikes side-by-side for comparison. on the stock suspended Versys, i can get my heels down, but on the V649 i can just get my toes down. as i've said many times, you don't need to spend a ton of money to enjoy the two wheel experience. the total out-of-pocket cost for the two bikes is less than what some riders spend adding after market accessories to a new bike. these are both very cheap bikes.

the green Versys is apart for a valve check/tune-up/oil change.

post #26 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

JD, if that was 1500 all in I will buy it off you for 3500 right now!
post #27 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

BTW, if your up here anytime....I have a full service shop with pretty well everything you would need if anything goes wrong!
post #28 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
JD, if that was 1500 all in I will buy it off you for 3500 right now!
you might be a little light with just $3500 to spend. thanks for the shop offer, but i don't recall your location.

the current V649HP just underwent a major wiring/rewiring project to connect the various electrical components, and graphics have been ordered.

i was only out of pocket about $500 on the first two ER6 based bikes, but the V649 series have been a little more expensive.

the first V649 was road ready at about $900, not bad.

the second was turnkey at $1200, still pretty good.

the fourth might be super cheap again, depending on a few factors.

post #29 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Newfoundland. Hey, your more than doubling your money on that one, and can build 2 more! and have 500 left for JD and beer! ha ha ha!

In all seriousness, the new one looks the business. That one and the first one you did that looked like a buell on steroids are my 2 favs.

sick work. I wish I was in a place where parts were easily accessable like that.
post #30 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Newfoundland...

I wish I was in a place where parts were easily accessable like that.
now i remember, a Newfie. i'd like to get back there, and a Newfoundlander really did say to me "Have you seen enough to come back?"

to build cheap, ya need cheap parts, and there's no end to cheap parts in the States. if the same parts were available world-wide, there'd be thousands of these bikes. actually, there might be thousands already.

Last edited by jdrocks; 04-22-2016 at 10:12 AM.
post #31 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Cheap or expensive, theres NONE. Most anything here is a cruiser. DId that and it was BORING! Well, I was on a Harley instead of the vaquero I should have bought. That being said, I love my versys and I am building something like you have in the latest version. Even if I start getting parts shipped in. Its not about the costs, Its about the build!

Oh, BTW, RAD manufacturing has gone out of business. Do you know of any center hub I could use to build a set of wheels? I really want laced, as you know....ha ha. Any help on this end would be awesome.
post #32 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 07:58 AM

Garage
JD convieniently forgets to factor in the value of his labor and engineering.
I think if he had to pay for such things the cost would be closer to $35,000.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
post #33 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I was hoping he was going to forget when I offered him $3500. ha ha.
post #34 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Its not about the costs, Its about the build!

Oh, BTW, RAD manufacturing has gone out of business. Do you know of any center hub I could use to build a set of wheels? I really want laced, as you know....ha ha. Any help on this end would be awesome.
i'm always building to a budget, so cost is important with me. i rarely will buy anything for the bike unless cheap, too easy to blow the budget. for me, building on the cheap is fun. then ya get to park your slammed together ride next to some guys new 2016GSAW with the Touratech catalog on it and think... one of those, or twenty of these. his bike has already depreciated 3X or 4X the total cost of yours.

the RAD closing was sudden and caught most by surprise. i haven't heard much discussion on the reasons for closing, but with all the inexpensive hubs coming in from China, that had to be a factor. i did hear that Chinese hubs for the Versys were available, but i had no interest and never followed up.

i've run Suzuki cast wheels on the ER6 familiy of bikes, including the Versys forks with Versys clamps, so it's a good bet that the new DL650 spoke hubs would work with a little finesse dealing with the DL 17mm front axle. other hubs have been used, including the popular DR650 cush drive rear, and various fronts which can be fitted with 20mm ID bearings. running spokes on these bikes might require a little machine work depending on the hub, but nothing very difficult, and there's usually a write-up for reference.

post #35 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
JD conveniently forgets to factor in the value of his labor and engineering.
I think if he had to pay for such things the cost would be closer to $35,000.
i could be convinced to sell at $35K...

there are plenty of guys with the skill to build these bikes, many are much more skilled than i am, and may have a more extensive tool inventory. what they don't have is the interest or time, either to design or build.

when i told a rider friend of mine that i thought that just about anyone could build these bikes, they're so easy, his response was "Dave, you're badly mistaken on that one".

post #36 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Yes, I was hoping he was going to forget when I offered him $3500. ha ha.
if i wanted to totally ruin your day, i could tell you what i paid for the latest project bike...a prime example of what's available in the States.

(that's El Norte to you Eduardo, the little Versys snowbird dude, if you're following the discussion)

post #37 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Ha ha. maybe its worth doing the hunting and shipping to me. Even if I have 5000 into it I built it which is priceless to me. I built my last three snowmobiles.

SOOOOOO. Is there ANY way I can get some spoked wheels for my V now that RAD is gone? Is there any way to use a 17mm axle in our forks? If I could do that, then the Wee spokes will work.
post #38 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
(that's El Norte to you Eduardo, the little Versys snowbird dude, if you're following the discussion)
Huh...?

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #39 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i'm always building to a budget, so cost is important with me. i rarely will buy anything for the bike unless cheap, too easy to blow the budget. for me, building on the cheap is fun. then ya get to park your slammed together ride next to some guys new 2016GSAW with the Touratech catalog on it and think... one of those, or twenty of these. his bike has already depreciated 3X or 4X the total cost of yours.

the RAD closing was sudden and caught most by surprise. i haven't heard much discussion on the reasons for closing, but with all the inexpensive hubs coming in from China, that had to be a factor. i did hear that Chinese hubs for the Versys were available, but i had no interest and never followed up.

i've run Suzuki cast wheels on the ER6 familiy of bikes, including the Versys forks with Versys clamps, so it's a good bet that the new DL650 spoke hubs would work with a little finesse dealing with the DL 17mm front axle. other hubs have been used, including the popular DR650 cush drive rear, and various fronts which can be fitted with 20mm ID bearings. running spokes on these bikes might require a little machine work depending on the hub, but nothing very difficult, and there's usually a write-up for reference.

OK, good. I know running the V strom cast wheels work. and you have a lot of seat time But our roads here, have taken out more cast Adventure wheels than I care to remember, most are Suzuki and the varadero was the other big culprit. At least with a spoked wheel, I will bend it, and can still get home. That's the biggest issue for me. So, I could probably machine the DL650 spoked hub to accept the 20mm bearing and all should be good then? I can get that done fairly easy.
post #40 of 444 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

SOOOOOO. Is there ANY way I can get some spoked wheels for my V now that RAD is gone? Is there any way to use a 17mm axle in our forks? If I could do that, then the Wee spokes will work.
i'd take a look at machining the spoked DL650 hub which uses a 17x40x12 bearing to accommodate the Versys 20x42x12 bearing. not much of a job for a decent machinist. you could call Woody and ask if he can build a wheel based on this hub, since building a wheel from all new Suzuki parts looks pricey. i'd go with a 19 front.

there are a bunch of options. something like this would be half (or less) the cost of wheels on DL hubs.

i use a single 320mm rotor, stops fine with an OEM caliper, but you could easily adapt a 4-pot if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode