2016 Versys Custom - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i'm always building to a budget, so cost is important with me. i rarely will buy anything for the bike unless cheap, too easy to blow the budget. for me, building on the cheap is fun. then ya get to park your slammed together ride next to some guys new 2016GSAW with the Touratech catalog on it and think... one of those, or twenty of these. his bike has already depreciated 3X or 4X the total cost of yours.

the RAD closing was sudden and caught most by surprise. i haven't heard much discussion on the reasons for closing, but with all the inexpensive hubs coming in from China, that had to be a factor. i did hear that Chinese hubs for the Versys were available, but i had no interest and never followed up.

i've run Suzuki cast wheels on the ER6 familiy of bikes, including the Versys forks with Versys clamps, so it's a good bet that the new DL650 spoke hubs would work with a little finesse dealing with the DL 17mm front axle. other hubs have been used, including the popular DR650 cush drive rear, and various fronts which can be fitted with 20mm ID bearings. running spokes on these bikes might require a little machine work depending on the hub, but nothing very difficult, and there's usually a write-up for reference.

OK, good. I know running the V strom cast wheels work. and you have a lot of seat time But our roads here, have taken out more cast Adventure wheels than I care to remember, most are Suzuki and the varadero was the other big culprit. At least with a spoked wheel, I will bend it, and can still get home. That's the biggest issue for me. So, I could probably machine the DL650 spoked hub to accept the 20mm bearing and all should be good then? I can get that done fairly easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

awesome. thanks. I will see if I can find a used set of DL650s and go from there.
post #23 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

If you were only on the trans lab. nope you wouldn't. if you used our woods roads where you could be clipping along at 60mph nice smooth and out of no where a 6-8" diameter bolder will be in the dust cloud of the bike in front of you. that's what happens mostly here. its lone bastards in the roads while you are traveling at a good clip. and then there are the huge potholes in our highways. I just like the safety net of the spoked wheel.

post #24 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

How much am I looking at to get a set of Vwheels? I want the pair. And I can run the dual discs up front right?
post #25 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

its hard to see whats going on without the parts in front of me. I may have to pick up a set of cast wheels to run until I get the laced to me and then I can machine what needs to be done....
post #26 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
geeeeeez, you get immersed in Mexican culture for 6 months, then two weeks back in BC you've already forgotten all your Spanglish slang.
Por favor, Senor...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #27 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 10:40 PM

Not bad at all.... Love the red colored frame though.
post #28 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Ha ha ha. did you paint or powdercoat? I have a 8ft long powder coating oven in my shop. can do ALOT of stuff in that!
post #29 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, Still going through the red tape from the town here. its all ready to go. I made sure I bought an oven big enough to fit chasis of mountain sleds in...I cannot wait to get a few fix r uppers to build. 300 hp sub 500 lb snowmobiles WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
post #30 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
thanks, that red frame should cause some confusion, especially with the pair of "Sport Prova" die cuts that are applied on the fairings.
post #31 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

JD. I just priced the Vstrom complete spoked wheels from my local dealer, they are not near as bad as I thought they would be. so you figure I can machine out the hub for the 20mm axle? what else would be needed? anything for the rear? you can PM me with this if you want instead of clogging up here. I am looking for the complete breakdown of what I need.

1400 bucks tax in Canadian funds for the front and rear wheel! NOT BAD at all.
post #32 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 07:39 AM

I want to know more about the sidecar mounting points to the V frame.

really want to make a sidecar in the next few years.
post #33 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

JD. pm'ed you about the wheels.
post #34 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
spokes will look good on your Versys, and the only spoked Versys in Newfie-land too.

300hp sleds, man, i'm glad those weren't around when i was likely to be interested. heck, sleds would already run the ton back then with 1/3 the HP.
Yep, with the advent of turbo and supercharging now, 300 hp on race/pump mix is a reality...and its WILD!....there is nothing like hanging on to a sub 450 lb beast and pulling the trigger up a hill!

Love the stickers! ha ha. I would say it would the only spoked v on the east coast.
post #35 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I meant Canada. Looks great. the "ducati" ish decal is still the ****....reminds me of the bmw KLR stickers...ha ha.
post #36 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
I meant Canada. Looks great. the "ducati" ish decal is still the ****....reminds me of the bmw KLR stickers...ha ha.
I was in Skagway on my KLR, which wore a Beemer-type KLR sticker on the tank. I saw a guy on a KLR w/ a chick on a Beemer, and I pointed out my sticker to him when she went into a store.

"That's NOT funny," he said, "my other bike is a BMW!"

I looked him in the eye, and asked "What EXACTLY does my KLR sticker have to do with BMWs...?"

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #37 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

I did it for that exact purpose. To piss off my BMW riding buddies. I had seahorse cases on mine. WORKED great.
post #38 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

This was mine. Lots of goodies on that one.
post #39 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Besides yours being the slower red model, its pretty well exactly like mine. Not sure what was done internally, I had the eagle mike big bore, and progressive suspension inside as well. Worked awesome. No milk crates on my bikes. I use them as lifts for snowmobiles tho.

I don't mind spending money on anything I own. I am not a "typical" klr owner. No milk crates, etc.
post #40 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

658 forged piston kit

NO? whats this?

ALSO, AM I color blind? it IS red...therefore its the slower red model. Everyone knows its goes from fastest to slowest, blue, green, red and finally black. The opposite its true with the versys with black being the fastest, followed by red, then the other colors. SHeesh, and you call yourself a Kawasaki lover.

Last edited by kojack; 04-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode