2012 Versys Engine, Parts [wreck] [DC]/ Story everyone should read/ Not For Sale - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

2012 Versys Engine, Parts [wreck] [DC]/ Story everyone should read/ Not For Sale

Hi folks,

Pretty frustrated new rider here. Rode safe and fine on the highways - wasn't in a low enough gear pulling into my community and stalled out. Was on a hill and over-corrected when starting back up to prevent sliding backward into traffic. Throttled too hard and unintentionally wheelied...

The impact with the ground apparently warped the subframe beyond repair and essentially building the bike over again would cost more than what I paid for it.

The engine and plenty of other parts are still good. Wheels, etc. Washington, D.C area.

I'm not even putting a price because I just want to get rid of it. All reasonable offers considered.

Thanks for your time,
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjames5x View Post
Hi folks,

Pretty frustrated new rider here. Rode safe and fine on the highways - wasn't in a low enough gear pulling into my community and stalled out. Was on a hill and over-corrected when starting back up to prevent sliding backward into traffic. Throttled too hard and unintentionally wheelied...

The impact with the ground apparently warped the subframe beyond repair and essentially building the bike over again would cost more than what I paid for it.

The engine and plenty of other parts are still good. Wheels, etc. Washington, D.C area.

I'm not even putting a price because I just want to get rid of it. All reasonable offers considered.

Thanks for your time,
J
Sorry for your loss. Any farkles?
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:39 AM

Garage
I hope this doesn't deter you from continuing to ride. Many new riders make a mistake, or two. I hope you came away unscathed.

Are you parting out the bike or trying to sell it whole?

If parting I am interested in an unaltered, undamaged kickstand.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
Sorry for your loss. Any farkles?
Not really any farkles. Sorry.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrtcan View Post
I hope this doesn't deter you from continuing to ride. Many new riders make a mistake, or two. I hope you came away unscathed.

Are you parting out the bike or trying to sell it whole?

If parting I am interested in an unaltered, undamaged kickstand.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm keeping all my gear and my wife is actually fine with me riding again, but I had just bought the bike and lost several grand pretty quick.

Both of my knees hit the curb after I went airborne with the bike. Dislocated my left knee, but it popped back in fairly easily. I had popped the same knee out some years before playing sports so I guess it wasn't as traumatic as it could have been. X-ray showed it wasn't broken and orthopedic surgeon says its likely a bad sprain but no tear.

All and all I'm grateful to come out of it with only a limp that seems to be improving by the day.

The bike actually looks like it's in good shape and I've been encouraged to get a second opinion on whether I really need a completely new frame and $7,500 to fix it.

Right now I'm trying to sell it whole. If that changes, I'll let you know. Thanks
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:46 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm keeping all my gear and my wife is actually fine with me riding again, but I had just bought the bike and lost several grand pretty quick.

Both of my knees hit the curb after I went airborne with the bike. Dislocated my left knee, but it popped back in fairly easily. I had popped the same knee out some years before playing sports so I guess it wasn't as traumatic as it could have been. X-ray showed it wasn't broken and orthopedic surgeon says its likely a bad sprain but no tear.

All and all I'm grateful to come out of it with only a limp that seems to be improving by the day.

The bike actually looks like it's in good shape and I've been encouraged to get a second opinion on whether I really need a completely new frame and $7,500 to fix it.

Right now I'm trying to sell it whole. If that changes, I'll let you know. Thanks
ya please get it looked at by another person. and if you can post pics here, i bet you the bike can be fixed and if you put the work in yourself will be cheaper then you think
onewizard likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:50 PM

I assume you had insurance on it? You got good advice, nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I assume you had insurance on it? You got good advice, nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.
I had liability insurance covering me, but not it...

Figured I'd rather pay "~$1,500" out of pocket for something that is "unlikely to happen" than an extra $50/month.

The exception proves the rule I guess. Probably a poor decision for a first bike, but I have no accidents or tickets on my 12 year auto driving record so figured I'd be alright...
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:07 PM

Hey bud sorry to hear about this; at least you got to wheelie a motorcycle once in your life... Jokes aside, I live in DC and have a shop space in Alexandria where I store and fix my personal bikes.

Where abouts are you located? (Edit: Actually I remember you saying you're in Alexandria) Is the bike at your house?

I'd be willing to check out the bike, give you my thoughts on repair options, and possibly buy it if you do decide to sell it.

PM me with your contact info if interested.

Crappy situation but at least you walked away from it in decent shape.

-Pete

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...

Last edited by GiantAntCowboy; 03-30-2016 at 03:14 PM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 04:25 PM

Glad your mending up.

I started riding in 2009 and have found I'm still improving and ride about 10K km/6000mi a year. Started on a Kawasaki 500. It takes a while to get really comfortable on the bike but MSF beginner and advanced courses helped a lot. It's a lot easier if you start on a smaller bike than the Versys.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Glad your mending up.

I started riding in 2009 and have found I'm still improving and ride about 10K km/6000mi a year. Started on a Kawasaki 500. It takes a while to get really comfortable on the bike but MSF beginner and advanced courses helped a lot. It's a lot easier if you start on a smaller bike than the Versys.
Thanks for the encouragement. I actually took a beginner course back in the Fall which helped me get comfortable. The bikes were smaller and you're right, it's easier to start small.

I was confident enough to ride the bike successfully through Baltimore City (after picking it up from the seller) and from Baltimore to D.C. on 295 without issues. About a 90 minute ride in traffic.

But I needed more practice in low speed situations which I just didn't have.

I'm still keeping my gear (but getting a new helmet because of the impact! :-)) Hopefully things will work out in the future and I'll find myself on another one.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAntCowboy View Post
Hey bud sorry to hear about this; at least you got to wheelie a motorcycle once in your life... Jokes aside, I live in DC and have a shop space in Alexandria where I store and fix my personal bikes.

Where abouts are you located? (Edit: Actually I remember you saying you're in Alexandria) Is the bike at your house?

I'd be willing to check out the bike, give you my thoughts on repair options, and possibly buy it if you do decide to sell it.

PM me with your contact info if interested.

Crappy situation but at least you walked away from it in decent shape.

-Pete
Hahaha, yes I did a wheelie. I'll reach out.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 08:40 PM

The Honda NC700x or 500x may be the bikes for you. Particularly the NC700x as it is Versys like but has a much, much lower center of gravity and slightly lower seat height which makes it a joy to ride in slow, tight turning situations. The Versys height and high center of gravity can make it a daunting bike for newbies, especially those with shorter inseams.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 AM

Dang! That's one heck of a wheelie! Don't ever dare to try a stopee!

Yeah I do remember when I first got my 2012, and was used to riding a bump at an intersection on my 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750. The Vs. 650 gas tank was in my face in no time and scared me to death. It hasn't happened since though! It's a learning curve of ONE repetition.

Heal quick.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 AM

Garage
I thought I was hot stuff at a stoplight one time. Revved it up and popped the clutch in first. Next thing I know I'm vertical and scared ****less. Yeah, that was the first and LAST wheelie I've ever done or tried on the street. Keep wheelies in the dirt where they belong. Hope you are ok and best of luck with repairs on the bike.

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:25 AM

For low speed manuvering, one of the best things you can do is spend $300 on Lee Parks Total Control course. It's his Level 1 "How to get your knee down" course.
Its an eight hour course that teaches you so much more than getting your knee down, which you can choose to do or not. He teaches you braking, cornering, avoidance maneuvers. All sorts of stuff. At the end of the day your chicken strips are gone and you will feel more connected to your bike than you've ever imagined.
It's all done in the safe confines of a flat lot with the instructor just a few feet away. Not on a track.
Worth every penny.

Look up the schedule in your area and try to get a class where Lee himself is there. Great guy.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 AM

"The impact with the ground apparently warped the subframe beyond repair and essentially building the bike over again would cost more than what I paid for it."

Interesting - Versys do not have subframes. If the actual frame is bent, that's a whole new set of problems to deal with, like VIN #s, re registration, etc.
I've seen a lot of lay-downs from wheelies and when you pick up the bike it looks like it could go in multiple direction. The fixes are putting things back in alignment, and going riding.

It's already been said, but take GaintAntCowboy up on his offer to inspect it for you. It would be great to see some pictures of the bike from different angles before you start parting it out.

Most of all - Glad you are going to be okay.
jmjames5x likes this.

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Hi folks! Thanks for all of the input!

I'll respond individually later. Here's the one picture my wife got of it being towed away. See the damage to the gas tank. There really wasn't any visible damage to the left side of the bike, from what I remember.

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1899.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	85714  
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 02:14 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Hi folks! Thanks for all of the input!

I'll respond individually later. Here's the one picture my wife got of it being towed away. See the damage to the gas tank. There really wasn't any visible damage to the left side of the bike, from what I remember.

J
looks like a perfect street fighter cannonade to me
jmjames5x likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 02:52 PM

Garage
Damn i got hit by a car and had less damage than that. Insurance adjuster and shops will usually if its scratched they replace it. My swing arm had a tiny dent they wanted to replace it for over 800 bucks. My insurance adjuster wrote up all the damage i told him i would repair it myself. They cut me a check for 3600.00 i got the replacement parts on eBay and spent about 500 bucks on parts did the work myself.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode