Switched Over To Synthetic Oil - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Switched Over To Synthetic Oil

Not trying to start an "Oil War" Just got off the bike since the switch and the transmission is even better than it was and it was damn good to start with....

Was going to switch over to Synthetic Oil at about 2500 miles but decided to do it early. Installed the Gold Plug Magnetic Oil Plug. Switched over to Amsoil 10w40 Synthetic, Cleaned the PCS-1 Re-Usable Oil Filter and cleaned and lubed the chain

P1010570 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010569 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010566 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010567 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010568 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010571 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010573 by weljo2001, on Flickr
jnor and JoisaFatAss(_0_) like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:16 PM

I'm definitely a believer in synthetic and have been using it for years in my bikes. It made a huge difference in my Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 classic with quieter engine noise, clutch engagement, and smoother, less clunky shifting. I haven't switched to synthetic in my Versys yet, but I will when I've got about 1500 miles on it.

From numerous other MC forums, I discovered Shell's Rotella T6 full synthetic. It has the JASO-MA rating which indicates that it is also formulated for wet clutch motorcycles. Works great!
Believe it or not it is available at Walmart! A gallon is only $26.98, a real bargain.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...1-Gal/14958681

Read all the 5 Star reviews from motorcycle owners!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I'm definitely a believer in synthetic and have been using it for years in my bikes. It made a huge difference in my Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 classic with quieter engine noise, clutch engagement, and smoother, less clunky shifting. I haven't switched to synthetic in my Versys yet, but I will when I've got about 1500 miles on it.

From numerous other MC forums, I discovered Shell's Rotella T6 full synthetic. It has the JASO-MA rating which indicates that it is also formulated for wet clutch motorcycles. Works great!
Believe it or not it is available at Walmart! A gallon is only $26.98, a real bargain.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...1-Gal/14958681

Read all the 5 Star reviews from motorcycle owners!

Just finished off my last case of Amsoil for the bike. Usually buy a case at a time as well as a case for the oldest boys car. But we got him a BMW 535d and all his maintenance is included so I've already stocked up on Motul 7100 Synthetic for the bike for a year or so.
JoisaFatAss(_0_) likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:48 AM

I use synthetic in everything.....
hfjeff likes this.

'16 Versys 650
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:05 AM

Garage
There's really no good reason not to use synthetic from the start except cost.
If you are planning on dumping the oil after a short time or less than a couple thousand miles then perhaps it's worth saving a few bucks. Otherwise the old "conventional oil for the break in" is obsolete or just an old wives tale with modern engine and oil tech.

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:53 AM

At one time, I used Rotella T6 in my '08 V. I switched to Mobil 1 for motorcycles a few years ago.

Look at the Q & A of the Rotella link above - it says that the amount of sulfur in this oil will clog "modern" catalytic converters used for gasoline engines, and that T6 its is for diesel engine use only (or gasoline engines with out a modern cat converter). [There was no explanation of what "modern" means. ?]

Since we've read it on the interweb, it must be true...
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
At one time, I used Rotella T6 in my '08 V. I switched to Mobil 1 for motorcycles a few years ago.

Look at the Q & A of the Rotella link above - it says that the amount of sulfur in this oil will clog "modern" catalytic converters used for gasoline engines, and that T6 its is for diesel engine use only (or gasoline engines with out a modern cat converter). [There was no explanation of what "modern" means. ?]

Good find!
Pretty much all new bikes have catalytic converters now and they are expensive to replace. If the oil manufacturer comes out and says it can damage them, why take the chance? I knew there was more than one good reason to just buy motorcycle specific oil.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
Good find!
Pretty much all new bikes have catalytic converters now and they are expensive to replace. If the oil manufacturer comes out and says it can damage them, why take the chance? I knew there was more than one good reason to just buy motorcycle specific oil.
Hmmmm....

Now I'm wondering if I clogged my cat converter in my stock muffler by using T6 over the 2009-2012 time period.

I'm wondering if that explains the performance increase that I experienced when I replaced my stock '08 muffler with a Yoshi (non-cat) exhaust. I experienced a noticeable increase in midrange torque with the Yoshi on the bike.

Oh well. I suppose that if I want to go back to the stock configuration later - I can always gut the cat at that point.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:25 AM

Garage
The increase in midrange torque was probably simply due to a more free flowing exhaust. I'd guess it takes quite a while with a healthy engine to do noticeable damage.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 AM

Garage
The owners manual says to use JASO MA, MA1, or MA2. Rotella T6 is rated JASO MA.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
The owners manual says to use JASO MA, MA1, or MA2. Rotella T6 is rated JASO MA.
Oh, great. Here I go getting sucked into an oil thread.

The JASO spec doesn't tell you everything about the additives in the oil. I'm sure the oil can have extra stuff in it you don't want yet still meet or exceed the spec.
The T6 is specifically formulated for diesel engines, not gasoline. Doesn't it say that on the label?
The oil manufacturer also specifically states that it may harm your catalytic converter.
Why in the world would you second guess that company that makes the oil and use it when the manufacturer of the products says it can potentially cause expensive damage to your bike?

If you have an exhaust with no cat, perhaps it will have less potential to do damage.
I'm all for saving a few bucks wherever I can but this doesn't seem like good economy.

For the wet clutch, the cat and everything else involved, doesn't it make more sense to use an oil designed for use in a motorcycle, not a semi? Aside from both being internal combustion engines, a diesel engine is rather different than a motorcycle engine.
invader and weljo2001 like this.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:35 AM

I'm not a fan of reusable oil filters as they use steel mesh rather than paper media to filter the oil. They're a pain to clean, and I'm not sure how effectively you can clean them either, and they apparently can't filter much below 35 microns.

Great results with Amsoil 10W-40 too. I think the improved shifting has more to do with the 10W base oil, versus 5W, than anything else. Synthetic degrades (thins) much slower than non synthetic oils too. Right now I am running a mixture of 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oils (Amsoil, Castrol and Mobil) because it's what I had lying around. Can't say I can detect a difference.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-07-2016 at 11:40 AM.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm not a fan of reusable oil filters as they use steel mesh rather than paper media to filter the oil. They're a pain to clean, and I'm not sure how effectively you can clean them either, and they apparently can't filter much below 35 microns.

Great results with Amsoil 10W-40 too. I think the improved shifting has more to do with the 10W base oil, versus 5W, than anything else. Synthetic degrades (thins) much slower than non synthetic oils too. Right now I am running a mixture of 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oils (Amsoil, Castrol and Mobil) because it's what I had lying around. Can't say I can detect a difference.

I've been using that same filter since 2010 the V-1000 make the 3rd bike its been on. I've had no issues with it. Simple to clean. As far as the 35 micron thing......http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/. The filter has a magnet on it plus i always install a magnetic drain plug and on all the magnets all i ever get is a greasy smudge when changing oil.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-07-2016 at 12:20 PM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Read the whole thing.....Flo Oil Filter - webBikeWorld

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:26 PM

Garage
Had that same engine in my Z1000SX, Switched to synthetic after first oil change (same Amsoil 10-40). Engine and transmission were like butta, nice and smooth. Been using full synthetic a long time, it just works. I bet you feel like you just unlocked another mode on that bike. I'm ready to hit my new bike with it real soon.
weljo2001 likes this.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Read the whole thing.....Flo Oil Filter - webBikeWorld
You've changed my opinion since last article I read on these neg.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
weljo2001 likes this.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post

Look at the Q & A of the Rotella link above - it says that the amount of sulfur in this oil will clog "modern" catalytic converters used for gasoline engines, and that T6 is for diesel engine use only (or gasoline engines with out a modern cat converter). [There was no explanation of what "modern" means. ?]

Beside having a high sulfur content, diesel oil doesn't provide the same level of protection, particularly for higher revving gasoline spark ignition engines.

"The poor overall wear protection performance of all but the one particular top ranked Diesel oil, makes it very clear that in general, Diesel oils are a poor choice for wear protection in High Performance gas engines.

When you look at the onset of thermal breakdown of these Diesel oils, you see the following. On average, for synthetic Diesel oils, the onset of thermal breakdown was 269*F, and on average for conventional Diesel oils, it was 255*F. Overall, these Diesel oils fell victim to heat 13-17*F lower than gas engine oils. So, that is even more reason that using Diesel oils in High Performance gas engines, is a poor choice.

BOTTOM LINE:

High Performance gasoline engines are far better protected against wear by selecting from the much more capable gas engine oils. The only exception is the excellent synthetic 5W30 Amsoil Series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, which is also SL rated for gas engines. In the past, I have never recommended using Diesel Oil in a High Performance gas engine. But, this top 10 ranked oil, out of 101 motor oils tested so far, is the only Diesel oil I’ve tested that is actually worth considering for High Performance gas engines, if you just have to run a Diesel oil in your gas engine..."

Test Data on 3 more Diesel Oils ? Surprising results ? Speed Talk

Last edited by invader; 10-25-2016 at 09:00 PM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:15 AM

I've never noticed a difference in engine smoothness with synth, but I've always had air-cooled engines until I recently got the Versys. But what I always noticed was the smoother shifting. I saw a possible technical, molecular-level explanation once about why that would be. At my V's 600-mile service, the dealer used Honda GN4, which I guess is pure dino; at next oil change (which I'll do myself) I'll probably go full synth. I've had good results from Repsol 4T "Racing" on prior bikes.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:11 PM

Rotella T6 is popular on the Yamaha FJR forums as well. Here in the midwest it is about $21/gal at Wal-Mart. Cheaper than the manufacturer oils and no issues. Shifts great. Amsoil is probably superior, but I am a cheap-skate.

2011 Yamaha FJR 1300
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
Rotella T6 is popular on the Yamaha FJR forums as well. Here in the midwest it is about $21/gal at Wal-Mart. Cheaper than the manufacturer oils and no issues. Shifts great. Amsoil is probably superior, but I am a cheap-skate.
Diesel engine oil is not formulated to well protect your 109 HP 1,000 cc 10,000 rpm motorcycle engine/gearbox/clutch, and catalytic converter.

Castrol Actevo 4T is only $5.97 per quart from Walmart USA.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-1...uart/186544149

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-...-x-tra-4t.html

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fu...PXE-A3C3V6.pdf

Last edited by invader; 03-03-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode