Switched Over To Synthetic Oil - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
Rotella T6 is popular on the Yamaha FJR forums as well. Here in the midwest it is about $21/gal at Wal-Mart. Cheaper than the manufacturer oils and no issues. Shifts great. Amsoil is probably superior, but I am a cheap-skate.
At one time I was a supporter of T6 use in our V's. Until I heard from a lubrication engineer at Shell/Rotella - he said T6 is not recommended for vehicles with catalytic converters, as it could lead to eventual partial clogging of the converter, and will result in reduced engine performance. I posted the email from him somewhere on this forum.

I have recently read posts from other technical people that T6 is desirable for use in older motorcycles, that do not have cat. converters.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
At one time, I used Rotella T6 in my '08 V. I switched to Mobil 1 for motorcycles a few years ago.

Look at the Q & A of the Rotella link above - it says that the amount of sulfur in this oil will clog "modern" catalytic converters used for gasoline engines, and that T6 its is for diesel engine use only (or gasoline engines with out a modern cat converter). [There was no explanation of what "modern" means. ?]

Since we've read it on the interweb, it must be true...
Clog is a term used incorrectly.
See: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2863902

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
At one time I was a supporter of T6 use in our V's. Until I heard from a lubrication engineer at Shell/Rotella - he said T6 is not recommended for vehicles with catalytic converters, as it could lead to eventual partial clogging of the converter, and will result in reduced engine performance. I posted the email from him somewhere on this forum.

I have recently read posts from other technical people that T6 is desirable for use in older motorcycles, that do not have cat. converters.

Dave
If you Google We do not recommend Rotella T6 for engines with catalytic converters, you'll see that this preformatted response has been sent to many people. It is most probably sitting in a database and automatically sent out as a reply.

Someone else wanted to know the reason for this response and contacted Shell a second time:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/zdd...6-cats.821219/

I was thinking that it was the ZDDP/zinc in the RotellaT and T6 oils that was contaminating the cat's and MAYBE the O2's via oil consumption. I sent an email to Shell and got a reply:

Dear Sir,
If you are using oil between oil changes (consumption), then you can shorten the life of a catalytic converter which is the result of the ZDDP additive contaminating the catalyst. It is for this reason that we do not recommend using Rotella oils in gasoline engines with catalytic converters.
There is no way I am aware of to remove the contamination once it is attached to the catalyst.
Regards,
Shell Technical

So ... unless my Versys starts burning oil, I will keep using Rotella T6 in my bike (as I have done with my previous ones).

Note: ZDDP contains zinc which is an anti-wear additive. It also contains phosphorus which is helpful for preventing gear wear.

Like any oil thread, there are always numerous opinions. This is mine!
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Where were You This AM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
If you Google We do not recommend Rotella T6 for engines with catalytic converters, you'll see that this preformatted response has been sent to many people. It is most probably sitting in a database and automatically sent out as a reply.

Someone else wanted to know the reason for this response and contacted Shell a second time:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/zdd...6-cats.821219/

I was thinking that it was the ZDDP/zinc in the RotellaT and T6 oils that was contaminating the cat's and MAYBE the O2's via oil consumption. I sent an email to Shell and got a reply:

Dear Sir,
If you are using oil between oil changes (consumption), then you can shorten the life of a catalytic converter which is the result of the ZDDP additive contaminating the catalyst. It is for this reason that we do not recommend using Rotella oils in gasoline engines with catalytic converters.
There is no way I am aware of to remove the contamination once it is attached to the catalyst.
Regards,
Shell Technical

So ... unless my Versys starts burning oil, I will keep using Rotella T6 in my bike (as I have done with my previous ones).

Note: ZDDP contains zinc which is an anti-wear additive. It also contains phosphorus which is helpful for preventing gear wear.

Like any oil thread, there are always numerous opinions. This is mine!
I spent 20 minutes trying to find that post
quexpress likes this.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Interesting info. I agree that "clog" is not the best word to use in this case. My mind sometimes drifts to the "worst case" over time.

Now, I don't feel so bad about using Rotella oils for the first 20,000 miles of my V's life. That being said, I'm sticking to name brand motorcycle specific syn oil for my V. It only costs me an extra $10 per year, for the cheap insurance.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
<snip> But we got him a BMW 535d and all his maintenance is included so I've already stocked up on Motul 7100 Synthetic for the bike for a year or so.
So, ah, wanna adopt me?

I've got my eye on the new Maclaren and I'm sure they're only gonna throw in one or two oil changes on the car sale, so I need a Grease Daddy to keep me in petroleum products. and insurance. and lawyers for the tickets. and supply sticks to keep the beach bunnies at bay...
onewizard and weljo2001 like this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:00 PM

I just had this "argument" with a friend the other day who decided he was gonna "fool the system" and use Rotella. Even dumber, he's in a...02? 250 Ninja...whatever the last year was that they used carbs...and he's like the third owner of this little wrung out, beat to crap pocket rocket.

He was like "Buh buh buh it's so cheap!"

I'm like...dude, my V uses 3 quarts of oil at a time. If I buy Mobil 1 Racing 4T at Wal-Mart, it's $9 a quart. $27 for the piece of mind to know absolutely that I've got an oil that hits all the specs that I want it to, that was specifically designed to be used in a wet-clutch motorcycle application.

And he was like "Yeah but the 4T is only $23, for a WHOLE GALLON!"

And I'm like...a whole gallon nets me 1qt short of two changes, and then I'm sitting on a half-full tub of oil that I've gotta protect and make space for, and I can't use it to store/recycle the old oil, and I've still gotta buy another quart @ $8. $32 for 2 oil changes w/ Rotella, $52 for two with 4T. Sure, that's $20. $20 across 6,000-10,000 miles. $20 to peace of mind. I spend $20 on lunch half the time, so it's obvious for me.

That said, I am switching to Amsoil 10w-40 "Metric Motorcycle" this spring. Not cheap, but again---I want this bike to last, as great as possible, for as long as possible.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:18 PM

Did I say Rotella T6? My bad - I meant to say that I also use Amsoil Synthetic 10w-40 and it is an excellent choice. (Sorry Weljo for starting the oil war that you did not want to start).

Those magnetic plugs are one of the best simple inventions. It holds the fine metal dust and allows you to actually remove it from the engine rather than just holding it out of the way.
weljo2001 likes this.

2011 Yamaha FJR 1300

Last edited by hfjeff; 03-07-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode