Looking for a camera suggestion - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
glowcat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ware, Ma
Posts: 1,154
Looking for a camera suggestion

I am looking to upgrade from my old point and shoot, it was a canon powershot a610 5mp. I gave that camera to a relative to force myself to upgrade. I was originally thinking of getting the new canon sx50hs which is a megazoom dslr-like camera. I have since started researching some entry level dslr's. I am looking for any one who has a entry level canon or nikon, what model is it, and what are your thoughts or opinions. I know you can't beat the quality of a dslr camera but the conveniance of a megazoom could still be a possability. I am about to become a grandfather for the first time, my daughter is due in april, so I plan on a good camera for baby pictures. I am familiar with slr as I used to have a canon ae1p a long time ago so I am leaning towards dslr now. Since I have had a canon 35mm slr I am kind of partial to canon, but I am also open to other brands like nikon or pentax. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and or respond to my thread.


Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
glowcat13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Member
 
Capn Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 4,873
My wife uses a Nikon D5000 and a D7000. The prices of both have come down recently.

I use a Panasonic DMC-FZ150. I am not a camera guy (my wife is a professional photographer) so I love the great quality photos of the DMC without the weight and bulk of the DSLR. It is not a pocket camera by any means. I have a small pocket camera I keep on the bike for utility.

The Panasonic has one hell of a great zoom lens.

Click here for a review.



in your search! There are sooooooooo many choices out there!
Capn Kirk is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Member
 
goat12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,144
I had a Sony superzoom that I really loved, but kind of outgrew. I moved on to a Nikon D5000, which I've been very happy with. It's far more of a camera than I am a photographer, but I don't see myself hitting the ceiling like I did with the Sony anytime soon.
goat12 is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
I am looking to upgrade from my old point and shoot, it was a canon powershot a610 5mp. I gave that camera to a relative to force myself to upgrade. I was originally thinking of getting the new canon sx50hs which is a megazoom dslr-like camera. I have since started researching some entry level dslr's. I am looking for any one who has a entry level canon or nikon, what model is it, and what are your thoughts or opinions. I know you can't beat the quality of a dslr camera but the conveniance of a megazoom could still be a possability. I am about to become a grandfather for the first time, my daughter is due in april, so I plan on a good camera for baby pictures. I am familiar with slr as I used to have a canon ae1p a long time ago so I am leaning towards dslr now. Since I have had a canon 35mm slr I am kind of partial to canon, but I am also open to other brands like nikon or pentax. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and or respond to my thread.
Having a minor in photography from RIT as ways back I thought I would add my two cents worth to try and help you out. I was always a Nikon fan and still am, but the first thing I would consider if I was you, would be how much do I want to spend? If budget is no object, go to a LEICA. Best camera made, but very expensive. If that is out of reach, I would recommend sticking with a camera company. Nikon, Canon, Olympus. Such as that. Sony and Panasonic don't have a clue how to make a good lens. I don't know abut currently, but Nikon lenses alway won any test put to them. Canon was usually second. Either of those would be a great choice. Best of luck to you, and congrats on the new baby.
massconn72 is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Member
 
Capn Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 4,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post
Sony and Panasonic don't have a clue how to make a good lens.
Here are two photos using the DMC-FZ150. Both taken from the same location, one zoomed out and the second zoomed all the way in. For what it is, the Panasonic takes a fine picture.

Long:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...40123-long.jpg

Close:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...0124-close.jpg

Edited with links instead of the photos due to extremely large file sizes.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 11-02-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Used links instead due to large file size
Capn Kirk is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
glowcat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ware, Ma
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
My wife uses a Nikon D5000 and a D7000. The prices of both have come down recently.

I use a Panasonic DMC-FZ150. I am not a camera guy (my wife is a professional photographer) so I love the great quality photos of the DMC without the weight and bulk of the DSLR. It is not a pocket camera by any means. I have a small pocket camera I keep on the bike for utility.

The Panasonic has one hell of a great zoom lens.

Click here for a review.



in your search! There are sooooooooo many choices out there!
Thanks for the suggestion Capn. if I go with the superzoom aka bridge camera my choice is currently the panasonic fz200. I basically like the idea of the f2.8 throughout the full zoom range on that camera.


Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
glowcat13 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
glowcat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ware, Ma
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
I had a Sony superzoom that I really loved, but kind of outgrew. I moved on to a Nikon D5000, which I've been very happy with. It's far more of a camera than I am a photographer, but I don't see myself hitting the ceiling like I did with the Sony anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post
Having a minor in photography from RIT as ways back I thought I would add my two cents worth to try and help you out. I was always a Nikon fan and still am, but the first thing I would consider if I was you, would be how much do I want to spend? If budget is no object, go to a LEICA. Best camera made, but very expensive. If that is out of reach, I would recommend sticking with a camera company. Nikon, Canon, Olympus. Such as that. Sony and Panasonic don't have a clue how to make a good lens. I don't know abut currently, but Nikon lenses alway won any test put to them. Canon was usually second. Either of those would be a great choice. Best of luck to you, and congrats on the new baby.
I thank you both for your input, I have 5 current contenders the first and priciest is the canon rebel T4I aka 650D with the 18 to 135 mm smt kit lens. A close tie for second is the Nikon D5100, and Canon T3I. Next would be the Canon T3 if I can't afford the first 3 choices. The only bridge camera in contention currently is the panasonic lumix fz200. I am considering the bridge mostly for it versatility and convenience. Trying to afford my first choice might be a stretch, so I know something like the LEICA is well out of reach I would imagine. Not looking for a pro camera, but hopefully a good entry level DSLR that I can grow with, and not grow out of quickly.


Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
glowcat13 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Member
 
Capn Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 4,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
I am considering the bridge mostly for it versatility and convenience.
Exactly why I bought mine. With the wife's help, we decided on the FZ-150 for me. It takes much better photos than almost any pocket camera but still not as good as a DSLR. Thanks for mentioning the FZ-200, it lets me know how quickly my camera became obsolete!

As for DLSR's, one of the reasons she pulled the trigger on Nikon over Canon was the fact that my dad has about 6 or 8 Nikon lenses for his and she can use them any time. She has since bought several for herself and they trade out when they need specific lenses. If you do buy a DLSR, its gonna cost you more money down the road..... Lenses, Flashes, remote shutter controls (wireless & wired), filters, and other unforseen goodies! Have fun with it!
Capn Kirk is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Member
 
Versystole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 370
If you like the option of interchangeable lenses, but want something smaller than a DSLR, you might look at the micro 4/3 options. Some of the first generations can be had for a significant discount, and the Lumix and Olympus models share lenses. I'm quite fond of my Lumix GF2. At the time I bought it, it was the smallest interchangeable lens camera that still had a self-contained flash, and it shoots excellent 720P video as well...
Versystole is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 566
Really any Rebel would do at about 500$. They are cheap, lite and efficient and you can buy the f1.8 50mm lens for about 120$ and you'll get great pics (for the price that lens simply can't be beat, its mostly plastic, but works just fine). I'm a photographer and use a Canon 5DII but it's way overkill if you're not making a living out of it and its bigger and heavier.

Nikon do make great cams too, I'm just not as familiar with them. But you can't really go wrong with the either ones, the entry level DSLRs have higher specs today then many professional cams from 5-6 years ago.
Kawa007 is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Member
 
MntVersys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 257
I can vouch for the beautiful quality of a Carl Zeiss lens. My last film camera was a Contax 139Q with a Zeiss Planar lens. I still curse the day Kyocera dropped Contax (insert growl here) !!

I currently own an older Canon A720 IS. It's a rangefinder that can use any of 3 lenses. Even though it's 8mp it still is very good.

I have been looking closely at the Pentax Q. I have always loved rangefinders and this one is very nice, especially in white. And, it is small and not too expensive.


"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

MntVersys is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post
Having a minor in photography from RIT as ways back I thought I would add my two cents worth to try and help you out. I was always a Nikon fan and still am, but the first thing I would consider if I was you, would be how much do I want to spend? If budget is no object, go to a LEICA. Best camera made, but very expensive. If that is out of reach, I would recommend sticking with a camera company. Nikon, Canon, Olympus. Such as that. Sony and Panasonic don't have a clue how to make a good lens. I don't know abut currently, but Nikon lenses alway won any test put to them. Canon was usually second. Either of those would be a great choice. Best of luck to you, and congrats on the new baby.
I use a Sony that has 15x zoom, image stabilization, and the lenses are "Carl Zeiss"... a FAIRLY good name. I used to be a pro with pro-level Nikon SLRs, and still have a D100 that I haven't used in years because of its size and bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Capn. if I go with the superzoom aka bridge camera my choice is currently the panasonic fz200. I basically like the idea of the f2.8 throughout the full zoom range on that camera.
I believe you missed something - it's an f2.8 to 5.2 over the zoom range, NOT straight 2.8 .

Ed

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, and Inuvik, June '15
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=83034
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Member
 
Lours_Polaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way up north
Posts: 1,134
This site is full of usefull info ...

The data base is incredible

Dpreview

Ciao

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 10-30-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Lours_Polaire is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
I have Panasonic's Lumix GF3 and really like it so far (bought it three months ago or so). I'll second micro 4/3 cameras and also highly recommend looking at dpreview.com for all the info you need. The reviews there are top notch and their forums are a great place to ask any questions.
PSORngr is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 41
Agreed about the Panasonic Lumix FZ200, just bought it a few weeks ago and am loving it. Last camera was a Canon Rebel XT with a handful of lenses - never the right one at the right time. This Panasonic takes great shots, easy to use and the zoom lens is fantastic. So far, lovin' it!
Dave
kvman50 is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
glowcat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ware, Ma
Posts: 1,154
Thanks everyone I really appreciatte all the feedback, it might take me a few months to save up for the camera so i continue to research my options. I have seen a lot of great photos that members have displayed on this forum, and that is why I figured it would be worth asking on the forum. The members on our Versys forum are the best, you get good advice and help no matter what the topic is.


Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
glowcat13 is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
...The members on our Versys forum are the best, you get good advice and help no matter what the topic is.
That's because we are ALL "FRIGGIN FANTASTIC"...
or somethin' like that...!


Ed

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, and Inuvik, June '15
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=83034
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Member
 
smurray0810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3
D5000

I can 2nd (or 3rd) the Nikon D5000. I've had mine for about 2 years now and I love it. I add a new lens about twice a year when I start to get a hang of the last one. Stock comes with the body and an 18-55mm lens. I've added a 35mm-f/1.8 (great for portraits and bokeh), a 70-300mm telephoto lens, and a 10-24mm wide angle lens. I use them all regularly.

But I also carry around a Panasonic Lumix Compact Camera when I don't feel like carrying 20 lbs of equipment. I've had 3 of these camera over the past 10 years (as quality improved). These are incredible camera, I have some amazing photos from these point and shoots that I am unable to replicate on my DSLR. And they are durable, I've dropped these many times and not had a problem.
smurray0810 is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 566
One things for sure is now cell phones (like the iPhone 4S and 5) are better then many compact. I have the iPhone4S with a lifeproof case. I can even film HD movies underwater. So on motorcycle trips it's perfect you can take pics even if it rains no problem. I'm a photographer so I do sometimes carry my big kit when I plan on taking pictures, but 99% of the time I just have my iphone and it's awesome for travel souvenirs. Takes better pics then many compacts. So if you're planning on changing cell phones soon, I'd consider the option, if not I'd go with either a Rebel or a small Nikon DSLR. The compact cameras usually aren't that compact and just offer poor quality. As with the iphone quality isnt the best, but it sure is compact and you have it on you all the time, that wouldnt be the case with a compact camera. And same goes for baby pictures, all those specials moments you wont go "wish I brought my cam", you'll go "glad I have my cell phone to capture this"

Here's are 2 quick examples with my 4S:


Last edited by Kawa007; 11-02-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Kawa007 is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
glowcat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ware, Ma
Posts: 1,154
Well I pulled the trigger and got the winning bid on an e-bay auction. I purchased a canon rebel T1I body, then went on amazon and purchased a 50 mm F1.8 lens aka the nifty fifty. It should be arriving in about a week. This was my first forray in the auctions on e-bay, before this I only did the buy it now stuff, it was kind of fun bidding. I lost on some other cameras as the bidding got to high for my liking.


Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
glowcat13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome