When did this become appropriate? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

When did this become appropriate?

Let me start by saying that I'm in my late 50's.

i have seen a growing trend of folks on a forum of a particular interest, such as a motorcycle forum, think that it is appropriate to pronounce something private about their lives as if the rest of us really care. these generally come with a "thumb in the eye" statement to those who may not agree with them. I come to motorcycle forums to talk about motorcycles, not to find out about your physical issue that I can't see, read your pronouncements of the superiority of your birthright, or read anything about your sexuality and lifestyle. It's not my business, and doesn't have any bearing on the subject matter that has brought us all to a common place. It is as misplaced as making the same statement at a family dinner, just to upset the adults and prove the lack of maturity of the person making the statement.

JMO.

Steve
Whoknows and Buffalo_Bob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Facebook

I am not sure if I missed the news or logged in at a bad time / in response to a previous post?
So reading between the lines, the comment resembles my thought on twitter ( which I have never been on ) , and Facebook, which I have had for about 6 years. My total 'friends " are 7, nothing is public,and that is how I leave it. As to sharing personal information, we are doing it right now, anyone can read this. Your personal health problems, marriage or not, religious beliefs, what you ate for breakfast, whether beef is good for you and if you should stop eating eggs because of the cholesterol , well some of that may have a slight interest if you are trying to explain why it is taking so long to post, as to a motorcycle forum, many places you need to have a captcha log in to prove you are human, so throwing in you had 3 eggs for breakfast should reassure you you are communicating with a human, if you added you had two beers while adjusting your chain, chances are good you are a male, adding you had to have a nap after adjusting the chain may indicate you are over 50, and if you said you were spending 3 hours polishing your chrome chances are good you are on the wrong forum, and own a US made Chrome 2 wheel wonder. Personal information should in my opinion be kept to PM , as to whether you have a 30 inch inseam or a 34 inch inseam, does have a bearing, if you are considering lowering. So am I close? The suspense is killing me, oh well , need to get the vacuum sync done tomorrow

Last edited by onewizard; 02-09-2017 at 11:37 PM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 AM

Garage
What happens if you're marrying your Versys in an Om Banna wedding ceremony? no honeymoon photos?

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:32 AM

Wedding photos perhaps.....Honeymoon photos I dont think so
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
We have off topic which is where its a open forum to shoot the breeze. Disagree myself with the original poster on this one. A bit of banter and communicating via any social media forum is how we communicate now. Because of this forum I have met up with one of the members from this forum in LA and 4 more different member in Malaysia. These friendships were built not over just discussing bikes but talking and sharing about our lives. If I do not like what's on tv I change the channel.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
Let me start by saying that I'm in my late 50's.

i have seen a growing trend of folks on a forum of a particular interest, such as a motorcycle forum, think that it is appropriate to pronounce something private about their lives as if the rest of us really care. these generally come with a "thumb in the eye" statement to those who may not agree with them. I come to motorcycle forums to talk about motorcycles, not to find out about your physical issue that I can't see, read your pronouncements of the superiority of your birthright, or read anything about your sexuality and lifestyle. It's not my business, and doesn't have any bearing on the subject matter that has brought us all to a common place. It is as misplaced as making the same statement at a family dinner, just to upset the adults and prove the lack of maturity of the person making the statement.

JMO.

Steve
You have told me that you are nearly 60 so you are old enough and i assume mature enough to choose what you want to say and when you say it.

Why thank you for sharing your personal and private thoughts on this, a motorcycle forum... case and point!

Forums are not just for information, people also make friends on them.

Posting is a choice, so is reading them.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Maybe I wasn't clear... It's not just whatever the original personal lifestyle statement is, it's that' it's generally followed with a thumb in the eye statement like "If you don't like it, it's because you're a small minded bigot" .

EXAMPLE - "I worship flying granola bars as my god; if you don't agree with me you are a small minded bigot"

steve
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear... It's not just whatever the original personal lifestyle statement is, it's that' it's generally followed with a thumb in the eye statement like "If you don't like it, it's because you're a small minded bigot" .

EXAMPLE - "I worship flying granola bars as my god; if you don't agree with me you are a small minded bigot"

steve

Hmm, I don't really get this atmosphere here.. Occasionally political talk, and other such topics get a little heated, however you'll see those same people that are having a philosophical disagreement in another thread working together to help a newbie get his bike on track..I think about everyone here is mature enough to have conversations about anything legal under the sun, sometimes have even a passionate disagreement, and then move on.

So read and participate in the threads you want, and skip over the ones you think you may have a conflict with.. no biggie!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:26 AM

Garage
Quote:

steve
You need not to worry to much about that kind of attitude on this forum

Sometimes, things get rough, but usually, it's all good and fun

This being said, you have all the freedom in the world to read what suits you, and the different category for each post (like "off topic") will help you in getting the least amount of personal info, like Kiwi 41 mentionned earlier

LOP
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:27 AM

Garage
Quote:

steve
Welcome to the human race.

I have always liked the saying that offense cannot be given, only taken. This is a perfect example.
Just as when you are at a party or any social gathering, you have the ultimate choice over whom you converse with. If you don't like what someone is saying you have three choices; argue and start a fight, complain to others about how you disagree with the other(s) in the first conversation or leave and look for a different conversation. I have done all three but these days I strive to stick to option #3 as the others are never productive.

We are within a few years of age. I have spent way too much time on a variety of Internet forums over the years, starting way back with usenet and email discussion groups. Nothing has changed. Politics and religion are always going to be touchy and no one will ever change their political or religious views based on online "discussion".
kiwi 41 and Smiley like this.

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:36 AM

Garage
it's when folks hit a wall during winter time due to; riding withdrawals and lack of vitamin D. all of a sudden everyone's got sand in their panties.
Fish is a good source of Vitamin D.
community service done. you're welcome.
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Is This The Same Thread/ Yup

Well when I logged in today, I had to scroll all the way to the top, just to make sure I was in the same thread. Anyone that has a like from me on this thread is basically repeating in some form what I would have said. Both posts from the OP , remain vague to me, something that hasn't been discussed since we seem to be into what is right for the 21st century. If you didn't follow practices for composing a resume , that would cover what we are discussing here, in the 50's to 90's, common questions were hobbies ( skydiving and base jumping were red flags), religion, married or single,basically questions that were non of their business, and not found today on a resume, now days if you make face to face interview ( which could be Skype or Facetime ), some of those questions come up, especially where extensive training at the expense of the employer , expect to get asked if you are married and have children, married with children means you aren't probably going to pull up stakes in a minutes notice to start panning for gold in the Yukon.
ronheater70 likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-10-2017 at 09:43 AM.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 AM

I also have to say I suppose I am just a Tad baffled.. Basically trying to read between the lines, is the OP stating that someone conversed with him about religion /sexuality, and they had a difference of opinion ?

It's unclear if the OP was actually Harassed for an opinion, or difference of opinion, or if its just general " stuff other than bikes don't belong in a bike forum" thought?

Like others on here, I have been a Member of several motorcycle, atv, truck, jeep forums for, well basically since they came out! This site is one of the better ones.. Small enough to know the regulars, and quick to lend a helping hand, and not to rowdy and good for a chuckle now and then.
onewizard likes this.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Garage
Some of the motorcycle forums I am or have been on are super strict and will not allow any discussions outside of motorcycle related. They are constantly moving threads to the 'correct' area and will go to the extreme of deleting posts they do not agree with. If two members get in a huff about motorcycle maintenance or something where they admin feels like personal insults have been lobbed the members will get a personal message and be warned and possibly suspended for a time, and finally banished. Those forums tend not to develop any relationships that could lead to friendships.

Other forums have an Off-Topic area where people are free to participate or not in and as long as the off-topic discussion stay in that area the admins let a lot slide.

Some forums that don't have an off-topic area and don't have strict admins get cluttered with off topic posts and thread quickly degrade and lose their validity.

Some forums are so open they allow the posting of your topless girlfriend on your motorcycle.

Whoever owns the forum sets the rules for the members to abide by. The owner has to balance having a profitable forum with maintaining enough rules to keep most members happy enough to stick around.

It is obvious that people from many walks of life ride motorcycles. There are those personalities from every walk of life that are looking for a fight, and personalities from every walk of life that just want to get along.

We have had a few trolls over the years on this forum that got warned off, but it has to go to the point of personal attacks instead of general disagreements.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
We have off topic which is where its a open forum to shoot the breeze. Disagree myself with the original poster on this one. A bit of banter and communicating via any social media forum is how we communicate now. Because of this forum I have met up with one of the members from this forum in LA and 4 more different member in Malaysia. These friendships were built not over just discussing bikes but talking and sharing about our lives. If I do not like what's on tv I change the channel.
...and when I come to New Zealand to visit my Son, I hope that we can meet up for a visit. I've been searching for YouTube videos on motorcycle touring NZ, and am getting excited about riding there.
kiwi 41 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:48 AM

I tend to agree with the OP.............some folks just put out TMI. I'm even older than he is and when I was younger there were things that just did not get discussed (and still don't). Not with your best friend and not even with your wife. Just a matter of up-bringing I guess.

This forum as well as another one I know (Volusia Riders) seem to be the type that would promote friendships. No friendships require complete lifetime disclosure...........JMO.

As mentioned earlier...........if it's "off topic" and you don't want to know.........don't read.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
...Politics and religion are always going to be touchy and no one will ever change their political or religious views based on online "discussion".
When I was in "officers school" (RCAF), we were told that THREE topics were banned in the Officers Mess - sex, religion, and politics. I don't remember very many conversations about anything ELSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
...This site is one of the better ones.. Small enough to know the regulars, and quick to lend a helping hand, and not to rowdy and good for a chuckle now and then.
I TOTALLY agree w/ Ron. -

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...Those forums tend not to develop any relationships that could lead to friendships....
Over the years I've made several friends via THIS Forum, as well as from the Suzuki Bandit Forum when I had one of those, so that's a "win-win".

- -
onewizard, turn8a and kiwi 41 like this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Garage
If someone put out post you don't like or agree with there is a "Ignore Feature" you can use to block that person or people....
kiwi 41 and chrisfla1 like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:46 PM

I believe the the OP was responding to this post/thread.

A Rationalization... in musical form Not

Last edited by onewizard; 02-10-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: A link to the OP only, I felt it appropriate to have the link to the whole thread.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I tend to agree with the OP.............some folks just put out TMI. I'm even older than he is and when I was younger there were things that just did not get discussed (and still don't). Not with your best friend and not even with your wife. Just a matter of up-bringing I guess.

This, EXACTLY.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode