Honda Riding Assist Technology - Thoughts? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stud Muffin
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Honda Riding Assist Technology - Thoughts?

So, I'm curious to see what other riders think about the new Riding Assist Technology developed by Honda. Here is an article if you haven't heard about it:

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/hondas...perfect-noobs/

Personally, while I think this is really interesting/cool technology, I don't think this is the best application. It would be nice to be able to rest easier at lights, but I'm already pretty relaxed as is. In my opinion, this kind of technology on motorcycles will just lead new riders to think they can safely ride machines that are otherwise too tall or heavy for them to ride without it, which will only cause more problems. I thought the self-driving/following feature was fun though, who doesn't want their motorcycle to trail behind them like a good dog? haha
Uyerion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Province of Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyerion View Post
So, I'm curious to see what other riders think about the new Riding Assist Technology developed by Honda. Here is an article if you haven't heard about it:

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/hondas...perfect-noobs/

Personally, while I think this is really interesting/cool technology, I don't think this is the best application. It would be nice to be able to rest easier at lights, but I'm already pretty relaxed as is. In my opinion, this kind of technology on motorcycles will just lead new riders to think they can safely ride machines that are otherwise too tall or heavy for them to ride without it, which will only cause more problems. I thought the self-driving/following feature was fun though, who doesn't want their motorcycle to trail behind them like a good dog? haha
I don't think anyone with a motorcycle license is the target market for this. Instead it may be for handicapped riders, elderly riders not wanting to buy a HD trike, and new but nervous riders.

I'm not sure people will want to pay for this feature just so they don't need training wheels. Where it might have a greater impact is if it gets incorporated into accident avoidance or stability control - the bike takes of control of steering when it is about to lose control.
twowheels is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I don't think anyone with a motorcycle license is the target market for this. Instead it may be for handicapped riders, elderly riders not wanting to buy a HD trike, and new but nervous riders.

I'm not sure people will want to pay for this feature just so they don't need training wheels. Where it might have a greater impact is if it gets incorporated into accident avoidance or stability control - the bike takes of control of steering when it is about to lose control.
That makes more sense. I guess I've been very much indoctrinated into the mindset that "If you can't sit with it, you shouldn't ride it", playing to the idea that riding can be physically involved/strenuous and being able to hold the motorcycle at rest is a decent indicator of whether it is right for you.

The accident avoidance implications are interesting. It would be neat to see how this would affect speed wobbles and whatnot.
Uyerion is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 12,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyerion View Post
...It would be neat to see how this would affect speed wobbles and whatnot.
It works below 3 mph (IF I read it right), and the LAST speed-wobble I had was MUCH faster than that.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Member
 
james75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Highland, IL
Posts: 87
Garage
I'll wait a couple years until they come out with one that will ride itself so I can just take a nap on the way to work. Just kidding of course. But I agree with what was mentioned before, it may be good for someone who would otherwise need to ride a trike. Otherwise, I think it's a stupid idea.
james75 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Poland
Posts: 118
IMO making bikes accessible for older, handicapped, short, new etc. riders is not stupid at all. In fact, getting "ordinary people" to ride is what's Honda been doing for like half a century. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be where we are today without that approach. That's just the next step, not that dissimilar in spirit from automatic transmissions or CBS.

There's an abundance of hardcore bikes, it's nice that Honda is still breaking grounds in filling the non-hardcore niche.

Some of the nay-sayers sound to me like "power steering in cars is stupid, if you can't turn the wheel with just your muscles, get a smaller car or take the bus"...

2015 Versys 650
_Big_Mac_ is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Member
 
Arion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX & Moosehead Lake, ME
Posts: 2,536
But wait, as they say during as-seen-on-TV ads! I have an idea - why not put one or two more wheels on it and forget all the high tech self-stabilizing faff. Oh, but wait again. I hear someone has already thought of that. Never mind. I guess I'll just continue to put my feet on the ground when stopped. Not very high tech, but it works.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Arion is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
It works below 3 mph (IF I read it right), and the LAST speed-wobble I had was MUCH faster than that.
Haha , I was thinking if they take this tech and develop it for the purpose of mitigating speed wobbles
Uyerion is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Stud Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mantua, New Jersey
Posts: 874
Actually it is a step towards making us play nice with the self driving cars. If the self driving car can't talk too and get other vehicles to slow down or allow a merge then they get stuck at on ramps and such. With no way to talk to our bikes or slow them down, we can bully them all day long....

I was thinking of Weljo lane splitting and making all the cars slam or hold on their brakes as he passes them.
weljo2001 likes this.
Stud Muffin is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,437
invader is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome