Honda Riding Assist Technology - Thoughts? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stud Muffin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Honda Riding Assist Technology - Thoughts?

So, I'm curious to see what other riders think about the new Riding Assist Technology developed by Honda. Here is an article if you haven't heard about it:

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/hondas...perfect-noobs/

Personally, while I think this is really interesting/cool technology, I don't think this is the best application. It would be nice to be able to rest easier at lights, but I'm already pretty relaxed as is. In my opinion, this kind of technology on motorcycles will just lead new riders to think they can safely ride machines that are otherwise too tall or heavy for them to ride without it, which will only cause more problems. I thought the self-driving/following feature was fun though, who doesn't want their motorcycle to trail behind them like a good dog? haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyerion View Post
So, I'm curious to see what other riders think about the new Riding Assist Technology developed by Honda. Here is an article if you haven't heard about it:

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/hondas...perfect-noobs/

Personally, while I think this is really interesting/cool technology, I don't think this is the best application. It would be nice to be able to rest easier at lights, but I'm already pretty relaxed as is. In my opinion, this kind of technology on motorcycles will just lead new riders to think they can safely ride machines that are otherwise too tall or heavy for them to ride without it, which will only cause more problems. I thought the self-driving/following feature was fun though, who doesn't want their motorcycle to trail behind them like a good dog? haha
I don't think anyone with a motorcycle license is the target market for this. Instead it may be for handicapped riders, elderly riders not wanting to buy a HD trike, and new but nervous riders.

I'm not sure people will want to pay for this feature just so they don't need training wheels. Where it might have a greater impact is if it gets incorporated into accident avoidance or stability control - the bike takes of control of steering when it is about to lose control.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I don't think anyone with a motorcycle license is the target market for this. Instead it may be for handicapped riders, elderly riders not wanting to buy a HD trike, and new but nervous riders.

I'm not sure people will want to pay for this feature just so they don't need training wheels. Where it might have a greater impact is if it gets incorporated into accident avoidance or stability control - the bike takes of control of steering when it is about to lose control.
That makes more sense. I guess I've been very much indoctrinated into the mindset that "If you can't sit with it, you shouldn't ride it", playing to the idea that riding can be physically involved/strenuous and being able to hold the motorcycle at rest is a decent indicator of whether it is right for you.

The accident avoidance implications are interesting. It would be neat to see how this would affect speed wobbles and whatnot.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyerion View Post
...It would be neat to see how this would affect speed wobbles and whatnot.
It works below 3 mph (IF I read it right), and the LAST speed-wobble I had was MUCH faster than that.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 PM

Garage
I'll wait a couple years until they come out with one that will ride itself so I can just take a nap on the way to work. Just kidding of course. But I agree with what was mentioned before, it may be good for someone who would otherwise need to ride a trike. Otherwise, I think it's a stupid idea.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:22 AM

IMO making bikes accessible for older, handicapped, short, new etc. riders is not stupid at all. In fact, getting "ordinary people" to ride is what's Honda been doing for like half a century. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be where we are today without that approach. That's just the next step, not that dissimilar in spirit from automatic transmissions or CBS.

There's an abundance of hardcore bikes, it's nice that Honda is still breaking grounds in filling the non-hardcore niche.

Some of the nay-sayers sound to me like "power steering in cars is stupid, if you can't turn the wheel with just your muscles, get a smaller car or take the bus"...

2015 Versys 650
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 AM

But wait, as they say during as-seen-on-TV ads! I have an idea - why not put one or two more wheels on it and forget all the high tech self-stabilizing faff. Oh, but wait again. I hear someone has already thought of that. Never mind. I guess I'll just continue to put my feet on the ground when stopped. Not very high tech, but it works.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
It works below 3 mph (IF I read it right), and the LAST speed-wobble I had was MUCH faster than that.
Haha , I was thinking if they take this tech and develop it for the purpose of mitigating speed wobbles
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM

Actually it is a step towards making us play nice with the self driving cars. If the self driving car can't talk too and get other vehicles to slow down or allow a merge then they get stuck at on ramps and such. With no way to talk to our bikes or slow them down, we can bully them all day long....

I was thinking of Weljo lane splitting and making all the cars slam or hold on their brakes as he passes them.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:52 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode